Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Jesus ever exist?
Did Jesus ever exist?
I've heard people argue that the Jesus Christ of the bible never actually existed and was just a story. I always figured that he and the other characters in the New Testament were just as real as any in the Old.

I always figured that the Jesus of the New Testament was just too unique to have been somebodies creation. He wasn't as hardcore as the Old Testament. He was much more forgiving and showed much more compassion than the prophets in the Old Testament.

And "Jesus" was much more "conservative" -- of the Jewish religion and the rules such as the Ten Commandments -- than anybody to come after him (Paul and the other apostles).

So it seems to me that he could have been real since a fictitious character would probably not have been so controversial. I am just reasoning on the basis that he could have been real -- and the "miracles" could have been added to the stories to make them better.

What are the arguments that he never existed based upon? Is there something that would indicate that he had not lived? The parallels with older mythology could just be that people added their favorite mythology to the stories of Jesus to make the stories even better?
RE: Did Jesus ever exist?
Quote:What are the arguments that he never existed based upon?

There is not a single early first century reference from any contemporary writer to the contrary.

No one heard of this guy at the time he was supposed to be "alive" and doing all these great magic tricks.

(Same goes for mohammed.)
See my debate on that topic by clicking here.

It should contain all the information you need. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-exist.html
Quote:We do not grant this idea that the Bible cannot be considered a source of evidence for the existence of Jesus.

Well then FUCK YOU, Drippy.

(All fictional characters exist within the pages of the novel that creates them. Especially your godboy.)
(January 13, 2013 at 4:03 pm)Drich Wrote: http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-exist.html

Most of the "overwhelming evidence" on this website was presented and shot down during the debate.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
The majority of scholars including secular scholars think he did but there is a small minority of scholars who have arguments that he didn't. And it's a small minority that seems to be growing in the past few years. Just don't listen to the psuedoscholars like "Acharya S." They give the Christ myth theory proponents a bad name.

Some names to look up: Robert M. Price, Richard Carrier, and Earl Doherty. There some more good ones but I can't remember their names.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Jesus freaks like to pretend this is all brand new but, as happens so often to them, reality bites them on the ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth...Beginnings

Quote:Towards the end of the 18th century, the beginnings of the formal denial of the existence of Jesus began with the works of Constantin-Volney and Charles Dupuis in France.

Curiously, these two were post-revolutionary writers...in other words after the church...that most criminal of human inventions...had lost its power to silence critics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38695 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19275 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7329 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4416 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5884 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 5893 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8508 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7025 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12410 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2707 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0