Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipolar 2 Disorder
Bipolar 2 Disorder
Mm-k, so yesterday I finally went in to a scheduled appointment with a psychologist because I've been feeling distinctly "off" lately. I wasn't sure what, if anything, was causing it, but I've been unable to shake off this rollercoaster effect where one day I'm really happy and elated and energetic and then for the rest of the week I feel like a depression-riddled wreck.

I have bipolar 2 disorder.

Or at least that's what I've been told. I might seek an additional psychologist's opinion just to be sure [since I don't want to be taking meds for something I don't have], and unfortunately right now I lack the funds necessary to get the medications anyways, so...might as well.

Anybody know anyone with B2D? Or has it, or been diagnosed with it?
RE: Bipolar 2 Disorder
Whats your diet like and do you take drugs now?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

My diet's pretty wide and varied, don't take any drugs or meds currently.
Well, that's quite a diagnose. Have you visited a psychiatrist yet?
Sorry, I meant to say psychiatrist. I am going to see another psychiatrist to get a second opinion, and THEN I am going to seek a psychologist out to determine whether or not I can treat this with or without medication.
I have bipolar disorder type 1, currently in remission for 14 months. The difference between 1 and 2 is whether or not you've had a full-blown manic episode or have only experienced hypomania.

I would get a second opinion, if it were me, for exactly the reasons you stated.
What's hypomania? Because that sounds like being less than manic, and isn't that a good thing? Dodgy

Flip-flop, don't need meds, I'm not crazy, so she says~
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Mania is the state of mind of elation and energy, and hypomania is the exact opposite, the state of mind of depression and lethargy. I have bouts of mania followed by episodes of depression that go in a 1/7 ratio for length of duration. If I could constantly have mania I would be so happy, no pun intended. When I am manic, I feel very invigorated, confident, and productive. The rest of the time, lately, it's a struggle to even get myself to take a shower daily. I used to love bathing, and I still do, but whereas I always kept a sort of schedule of it, now I have this thing where I'll forego it for a day, and if I REALLY feel like shit I won't bathe for two or three days. On top of that I will despise the very idea of going to work, while in truth I actually don't mind working once I get to my job. When I hit those lows, doing anything, even things I enjoy, feel like unwanted chores and wastes of time.

For example, a few days ago I was semi-manic. I was eager to work, I did a bunch of writing, I did a bunch of cleaning around the place, I was posting energetically etc etc etc. Now the last few days I'm back in the depression. Topics I was discussing I have lost interest in. My mood is considerably worse. I am irritable, touchy, and snarky. The last couple days it has been, again, a task just to go to work. Once there, it's mostly fine since I can lose myself in the constant tasks but trying to get myself to start them is a pain in the ass.

I'm getting sick of this. It's been this way for five years now and I just want it over with. If it's because I have B2D, and it can treated with medication, then all engines full ahead, I just want to make sure whatever the hell it is gets treated properly.
Huh, I consider that depression, not hypomania. Being hypermanic is pretty destructive though, ask lovely Evie Smile

Asha's on meds for depression, only side effect that is particularly screwing with her is drowsiness. I'll never go on mind-altering drugs, like myself too much Big Grin

I think hypomania isn't remotely equatable with depression, that it's just a mild form of mania. Dictionary seems to agree, but you know what I think of those word lists Tiny Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 31, 2013 at 2:43 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: What's hypomania? Because that sounds like being less than manic, and isn't that a good thing?

It can manifest itself in a number of different ways, but generally speaking, I would characterize it as less intense than going off the rails of the crazy train. I don't know exactly how it is clinically distinguished, but I do know how I experience it.

It's fun for awhile on the way up, until it isn't any more, until all semblance of self-control is lost and you peak only to come crashing down hard. Die young. Leave a good looking corpse. Better to burn out than fade away.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. I oh-so-desperately want that feeling again, right up until the point before you leave the rails and fuck anyone who gets in the way.

That's mania. Hypomania doesn't suck quite so hard.

Creed - I think your understanding of what hypomania is is incorrect....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

Wikipedia Wrote:Manic episodes

Mania is the defining feature of bipolar disorder. Mania is a distinct period of elevated or irritable mood, which can take the form of euphoria, and lasts for at least a week (less if hospitalization is required).[3] People with mania commonly experience an increase in energy and a decreased need for sleep, with many often getting as little as three or four hours of sleep per night. Some can go days without sleeping.[4] A manic person may exhibit pressured speech, with thoughts experienced as racing.[5] Attention span is low, and a person in a manic state may be easily distracted. Judgment may be impaired, and sufferers may go on spending sprees or engage in risky behavior that is not normal for them. They may indulge in substance abuse, particularly alcohol or other depressants, cocaine or other stimulants, or sleeping pills. Their behavior may become aggressive, intolerant, or intrusive. They may feel out of control or unstoppable, or as if they have been "chosen" and are "on a special mission", or have other grandiose or delusional ideas. Sexual drive may increase. At more extreme levels, a person in a manic state can experience psychosis, or a break with reality, where thinking is affected along with mood.[6] Some people in a manic state experience severe anxiety and are irritable (to the point of rage), while others are euphoric and grandiose. The severity of manic symptoms can be measured by rating scales such as the Altman Self-Rating Mania Scale[7] and clinician-based Young Mania Rating Scale.[8][9]

The onset of a manic episode is often foreshadowed by sleep disturbances. Mood changes, psychomotor and appetite changes, and an increase in anxiety can also occur up to three weeks before a manic episode develops.[10]

Hypomanic episodes

Hypomania is a mild to moderate level of elevated mood, characterized by optimism, pressure of speech and activity, and decreased need for sleep. Generally, hypomania does not inhibit functioning as mania does.[11] Many people with hypomania are actually more productive than usual, while manic individuals have difficulty completing tasks due to a shortened attention span. Some hypomanic people show increased creativity, although others demonstrate poor judgment and irritability. Many experience hypersexuality. Hypomanic people generally have increased energy and increased activity levels. They do not, however, have delusions or hallucinations.

Hypomania may feel good to the person who experiences it. Thus, even when family and friends recognize mood swings, the individual often will deny that anything is wrong.[12] What might be called a "hypomanic event", if not accompanied by depressive episodes, is often not deemed as problematic, unless the mood changes are uncontrollable, volatile or mercurial. If left untreated, an episode of hypomania can last anywhere from a few days to several years. Most commonly, symptoms continue for a few weeks to a few months.[13]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexism and Borderline Personality Disorder Duty 10 1542 November 23, 2022 at 11:25 am
Last Post: brewer
  Narcolepsy/ Sleep disorder support tackattack 16 747 December 7, 2021 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Short review of borderline personality disorder treatment brewer 0 485 March 13, 2017 at 9:33 pm
  Another medical snippet, anxiety disorder. brewer 0 698 September 4, 2016 at 8:00 pm
  Borderline Personality Disorder pop_punks_not_dead 2 1419 February 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Anyone knows the difference between BD Depressive epidode with pshychosis and Schizoaffective disorder? Meylis Delano Lawrence 5 1859 February 16, 2013 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Gender Identity Disorder? I don't think so! :D Violet 25 13514 August 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Violet