Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Borderline Personality Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
I am not sure if this is the right bit of the form, but I have been told by my doc that I might have BPD , (I need some further tests) .

I don't know much about it, and I am kinda scared , I know we have alot of people who know about this stuff on here so hence why I am asking

Thanks in Advance
RE: Borderline Personality Disorder

When I first started being treated for my illness (20 years ago), borderline personality disorder was a controversial diagnosis, and in some ways, the disorder was not well understood at the time. If things are still much the same, then it may still be difficult to understand, diagnose and treat. (Most common treatment for it I know is EBT, or emotional behavioral therapy, but that depends on the symptoms.) Beyond that, BPD is characterized as an Axis II diagnosis by the APA. Axis I disorders are typically those resulting from some organic defect of the brain (an example is depression or dementia); Axis II is typically the more pschogenically or psychologically caused disorders, including most of the personality disorders. This categorization can be somewhat artificial as Axis II disorders can have Axis I features and vice versa (during high stress, a person with BPD may develop psychotic symptoms for example). As to its etiology, BPD is/was thought to be a result of specific environmental factors in the person's childhood development (such as sexual abuse or other abuse, for example), and results in certain, for lack of a better term, "compromised personality traits"; these being ways of behaving, of perceiving the world, and patterns of responding to needs and stresses that are both relatively persistent, as well as being dysfunctional in certain commonly displayed ways. Not being up to date on the disorder, I'll leave you to learn the specifics of this from a more official and up-to-date source.

Best of luck.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Borderline Personality Disorder
I've been diagnosed with BPD, but I think I've pretty much had the symptoms under control since 2010 or so. I think it only really flared up because I was under a lot of stress and my life was kinda falling apart. When I started getting the rest of my life together, my BPD got easier to deal with. I don't know if it's one of those things that I still have but it's in remission or if I've gotten over it.

I've read a lot of info on BPD, though, and sometimes just knowing what it is and what it does helps me deal with it. Sometimes, I'd have bad feelings and they were easier to deal with simply because I knew it was the BPD making me feel that way.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexism and Borderline Personality Disorder Duty 10 1543 November 23, 2022 at 11:25 am
Last Post: brewer
  Narcolepsy/ Sleep disorder support tackattack 16 747 December 7, 2021 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Schizoid and Avoidant Personality Disorders GrandizerII 8 1149 February 14, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Short review of borderline personality disorder treatment brewer 0 486 March 13, 2017 at 9:33 pm
  Another medical snippet, anxiety disorder. brewer 0 699 September 4, 2016 at 8:00 pm
  Are you born with your personality? Clueless Morgan 18 4424 March 18, 2014 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Researchers debunk myth of 'right-brain' and 'left-brain' personality traits CleanShavenJesus 11 5791 August 18, 2013 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anyone knows the difference between BD Depressive epidode with pshychosis and Schizoaffective disorder? Meylis Delano Lawrence 5 1860 February 16, 2013 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bipolar 2 Disorder Creed of Heresy 26 4888 February 15, 2013 at 4:51 am
Last Post: Meylis Delano Lawrence
  Gender Identity Disorder? I don't think so! :D Violet 25 13518 August 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Violet