Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sexism and Borderline Personality Disorder
Sexism and Borderline Personality Disorder
I read that the ratio is 3:1 for diagnosis of this nebulous/vague/controversial condition. So women are more emotional than men and that's an illness?  Huh
RE: Sexism and Borderline Personality Disorder
Have you been to LA? Half the people there have narcissistic personality disorder, or, so I have heard.
(November 21, 2022 at 7:35 am)Duty Wrote: I read that the ratio is 3:1 for diagnosis of this nebulous/vague/controversial condition. So women are more emotional than men and that's an illness?  Huh

How do you reach the conclusion that because women are more often diagnosed with a personality disorder means that they’re more emotional?

A better explanation for the disparity might be that women are more likely to seek mental health care than men are.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's also confusing "being emotional" with "having a personality disorder."
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 21, 2022 at 11:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 21, 2022 at 7:35 am)Duty Wrote: I read that the ratio is 3:1 for diagnosis of this nebulous/vague/controversial condition. So women are more emotional than men and that's an illness?  Huh

How do you reach the conclusion that because women are more often diagnosed with a personality disorder means that they’re more emotional?

A better explanation for the disparity might be that women are more likely to seek mental health care than men are.

Boru

If anything, this speaks to, perhaps, women being the stronger sex.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(November 21, 2022 at 11:56 am)Angrboda Wrote: It's also confusing "being emotional" with "having a personality disorder."
Also, there’s more to BPD than just “being emotional.” To be diagnosed with it, you need to fit five of the criteria listed in the DSM-5
Quote:Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment (Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behaviour covered in Criterion 5)
A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterised by alternating
between extremes of idealisation and devaluation
Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self
Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g. spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating) (Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behaviour covered in Criterion 5)
Recurrent suicidal behaviour, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behaviour
Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g. intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
Chronic feelings of emptiness
Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g. frequent displays of temper,
constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

Indeed, it turns out that women seem to be more likely to get it by a factor of not 3 to 1, but about 10%.

Histrionic Personality Disorder is closer to what you’re describing, since it’s diagnosed twice as often in women than men, and has been likened to pathologising femininity (to the point where I can remember reading an article during the Depp-Heard trial which falsely claimed that it’s etymologically related to the old “hysteria” diagnosis.) That said, looking more closely, even that’s less about being emotional and more about said emotions being artificial. I think the clue is in its actual etymology, related to the Latin “Histrio” meaning “actor” (not the Greek “hustera” for “womb”, like some claim.) Worth noting is that the word “histrionic” was first used in 1648, twelve years before women were even allowed on English stages. I suspect that if there’s a reason women are more likely to get this diagnosis, it’s probably because men are less socialized to even be emotional, let alone to use these emotions to seek attention. I suspect that, as it becomes less and less taboo for men to show emotions, that gender gap will close.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Men are more frequently diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder. That says little about men in general.
Somebody label me please. Until you do I'll just be confused.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 23, 2022 at 9:05 am)brewer Wrote: Somebody label me please. Until you do I'll just be confused.

You're confused. Coffee
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 23, 2022 at 9:05 am)brewer Wrote: Somebody label me please. Until you do I'll just be confused.

‘Do Not Remove Under Penalty Of Law’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Narcolepsy/ Sleep disorder support tackattack 16 734 December 7, 2021 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Schizoid and Avoidant Personality Disorders GrandizerII 8 1143 February 14, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Sexism - homosexuality Azu 67 9066 November 23, 2017 at 7:17 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Short review of borderline personality disorder treatment brewer 0 482 March 13, 2017 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Another medical snippet, anxiety disorder. brewer 0 693 September 4, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are you born with your personality? Clueless Morgan 18 4409 March 18, 2014 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Researchers debunk myth of 'right-brain' and 'left-brain' personality traits CleanShavenJesus 11 5779 August 18, 2013 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Borderline Personality Disorder pop_punks_not_dead 2 1414 February 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Anyone knows the difference between BD Depressive epidode with pshychosis and Schizoaffective disorder? Meylis Delano Lawrence 5 1851 February 16, 2013 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bipolar 2 Disorder Creed of Heresy 26 4879 February 15, 2013 at 4:51 am
Last Post: Meylis Delano Lawrence