Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for atheists...
Question for atheists...
What were the main reasons that led you to the conclusion that you shouldn't believe in God and belong to any religion?
RE: Question for atheists...
I heard a voice while I was wandering around in the desert and then three wise people pointed me the way to the location of the fish.
I think it's two separate questions, because you have to keep in mind that some religions don't have a supreme deity.

I don't believe in God because I see no good reason to. There is a whole myriad of things I don't believe in that are considered totally non-controversial. Bigfoot, Ghosts, Donald trumps hair. I have been failed to be convinced that any of these are real. Additionally I picture what a universe would be like with a God, and it is radically different from how this one is. Mainly I see no reason why God would go through the effort of hiding himself from everyone.

I don't belong to a non-Theistic religion like Buddhism because I think the path to happiness is different for everybody. No one philosophy is right for everyone. To reject religion is to reject group think. I can think for myself so I don't need some stodgy old clergy member doing it for me.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(February 19, 2013 at 11:49 am)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: I heard a voice while I was wandering around in the desert and then three wise people pointed me the way to the location of the fish.

Erm... Jesus was born in the age of Pisces... unless that's what you were going for for some reason..?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
studying various religions and cults

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

It wasn't so much a matter of shouldn't I just knew I didn't need to believe. I was already happy and already trying my best to be a good kid so why would I need to do anything else?
The main reasons for me is the lack of demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid logic to support the existence of a god or gods.

In other words, the claim that a god exists put forth from theists has not met its burden of proof.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I was feeling it.
(February 19, 2013 at 11:46 am)BeeDeePee Wrote: What were the main reasons that led you to the conclusion that you shouldn't believe in God and belong to any religion?

None of you ever produced a scintilla of evidence for any of your invisible sky-daddies.

After a while, a pattern is detected.
being a responsible and selfdetermined individual

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4654 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 13811 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2205 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 56158 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 20456 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 21892 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11948 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 22602 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  A question to atheists EccentricAlien 29 9425 February 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11337 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4