Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question From Atheists
A Question From Atheists
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to understand the Atheist's point of view and I came across a question, I'd be grateful if you guys help me figure it out.

As you know there are many different gods in various cultures and religions which are significantly varied. The term "God" does not refer to a specific entity. So when you guys say "I don't believe in God" which god(s) are you referring to? What is the definition of that god which does not exist? There are certain gods that clearly do exist . Like the Pantheist's god which is the universe itself, so I assume you are referring to a "certain group of gods" I'd like to know what defines that certain group?  

Thanks for reading and sorry for any mistakes or inaccuracies in my use of the English language. 

Cheers.
RE: A Question From Atheists
(June 22, 2017 at 5:03 pm)nosferatu323 Wrote: Hello everyone,

I'm trying to understand the Atheist's point of view and I came across a question, I'd be grateful if you guys help me figure it out.

As you know there are many different gods in various cultures and religions which are significantly varied. The term "God" does not refer to a specific entity. So when you guys say "I don't believe in God" which god(s) are you referring to?
All of them.

Quote:There are certain gods that clearly do exist .
LOL< no?

Quote:Like the Pantheist's god which is the universe itself, so I assume you are referring to a "certain group of gods" I'd like to know what defines that certain group?  
Right, so, not a god..just "the universe". 

Do you like chocolate?  If I told you that liking chocolate was being an atheist...-that's just what I meant by the terms..would you then agree that you were also an atheist?  

Quote:Thanks for reading and sorry for any mistakes or inaccuracies in my use of the English language. 

Cheers.

Welcome aboard. You talk good and everything.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 22, 2017 at 5:03 pm)nosferatu323 Wrote: Hello everyone,

As you know there are many different gods in various cultures and religions which are significantly varied. The term "God" does not refer to a specific entity. So when you guys say "I don't believe in God" which god(s) are you referring to? What is the definition of that god which does not exist? There are certain gods that clearly do exist . Like the Pantheist's god which is the universe itself, so I assume you are referring to a "certain group of gods" I'd like to know what defines that certain group?  

Thanks for reading and sorry for any mistakes or inaccuracies in my use of the English language. 

Cheers.

The various religions who claim to have one god use that term, if not a direct name, to refer to their god.  So often, and this is especially true among Christians, from my experience, they assume when I say, "I don't believe in god", it refers solely to their deity.

I have amended what I say to be, "I don't believe in any gods."
Dying to live, living to die.
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I don't believe in any gods.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I withhold belief on all of them until such time as the claim is convincingly demonstrable.

As far as pantheism, I of course believe the universe exists, I just don't happen to believe it is a god by any definition I am aware of.
You are right to insist on a more precise definition of God in discussions, I just find it ironic that atheists are regularly held to a higher standard defining their unbelief than believers are defining their belief.

I don't believe in any god that has such unusual properties or abilities that it would require positive evidence to justify believing in its existence. That seems like a tautology, but I would have to make an infinitely long list otherwise, when it is really the believer's responsibility and not mine to demonstrate that their specific brand of invisible friend is real.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome.

For me no gods exist, never have, except in fantasy. In fantasy anyone can make the most ludicrous things exist. 

Don't be a one and done. Come back and tell us more about yourself and beliefs.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Hmmm I don't really just use the blanket sentence "I don't believe in god" I say "I don't believe in YOUR god" or more simply "I'm an atheist" because ya know that kinda says it for me.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(June 22, 2017 at 5:03 pm)nosferatu323 Wrote: So when you guys say "I don't believe in God" which god(s) are you referring to? 

The magic ones.
Welcome matey...

Gods? What are they? They mustn't sell them here in Australia.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4647 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 13764 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2198 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 20404 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 21577 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11943 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 22575 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  A question to atheists EccentricAlien 29 9419 February 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11328 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Question for Atheists WonderStruck 51 13673 August 28, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless