Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:24 pm

Poll: Should House Bill 35, requiring parental notice and consent for a minor's abortion, be passed?
This poll is closed.
I am a non-Christian, and i believe it should not be passed.
61.29%
19 61.29%
I am a non-Christian, and i believe it should be passed.
32.26%
10 32.26%
I am a Christian, and i believe it should not be passed.
3.23%
1 3.23%
I am a Christian, and i believe it should be passed.
3.23%
1 3.23%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Poll: Abortion for minors.
Poll: Abortion for minors.
"Should House Bill 35, requiring parental notice and consent for a minor's abortion, be passed?"

The Alaska Kenai Peninsula Clarion ran this poll a poll some months ago, and i was rather upset with their final consensus. 665 people voted that it should be passed... to a mere 285 who voted it should not... that means about 70% of the kenai peninsula population thinks that such a bill should be made into law.

My purpose for this? I believe that there is a heavy link between christianity and believing that minors should require parental consent to abort. In other words: i would like to see some evidence to back up or refute my theory.

The newspaper poll comes with comments... and upon request, i will disclose them from both sides.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: Poll: Abortion for minors.
I used to work in a treatment center for troubled teenagers. I have seen the results first-hand. This is one uber-fucked piece of legislation.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste -- don't pollute it with bullshit.
Yes... and 70% of those polled voted to pass it. I think (Hope) it got shot down in the senate... but i don't know.
What people do with their own bodies is their own business. If parents require laws to enforce children telling them things, they (a) don't understand children, and (b) don't seem to have a very good relationship with their parents.

If I had a daughter and she got pregnant, I'd expect her to trust me enough to tell me what she is thinking about doing about it. I don't want to have her grow up being scared of what I think of her actions. I'd want her growing up making her own decisions.
I agree with Adrian on this one. If a parent can't have a good enough relationship with their child to be able to govern this issue from home then there is a problem. Abortion should be available to any woman of child bearing age regardless of consent by any other person. If a woman is old enough to become pregnant then they are old enough to make a decision to terminate that pregnancy on their own.
(September 2, 2009 at 3:57 pm)Tiberius Wrote: What people do with their own bodies is their own business. If parents require laws to enforce children telling them things, they (a) don't understand children, and (b) don't seem to have a very good relationship with their parents.

If I had a daughter and she got pregnant, I'd expect her to trust me enough to tell me what she is thinking about doing about it. I don't want to have her grow up being scared of what I think of her actions. I'd want her growing up making her own decisions.

Then you'd make a better parent than 70% of Clarion poll-takers by default. ^_^ Makes me kinda wish more people had... uncommon sense... Smile
So far the stats are 88% of non-christians believe it should not be passed. That is much more livable than a mere 30% (Possibly Christians in this number). But there is one flaw in polling here: i'm polling smart people.
I don't have uncommon sense; I'm just one of the very few with common sense Big Grin
I agree with Adrian as well. Ever daughter should trust her parent to talk about what they are going to do.

Any girl should have the right to do abortion or not. That’s her decision and the government shouldn't meddle in matters that concerns individuals.

Amp
(September 2, 2009 at 4:14 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I don't have uncommon sense; I'm just one of the very few with common sense Big Grin

As common sense is so rare now... i prefer to call it uncommon sense Smile Cause it is anything but common anymore. ^_^
I voted 'for' as a Christian, before reading any opinions here. Mostly because I just discussed it briefly with my wife (as she's far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am), and she thought that if a parent is legally responsible for a child then they should know what the child is doing. That and that a child could think they were free to choose unsafe sex outside parental blessing. Parents have a responsibility, it's a natural and good thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15696 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 452002 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Gallup Poll for 2022 TheJefe817 27 3092 July 2, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7499 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35348 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30188 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6390 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8122 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14594 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 2 1598 November 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: jeebusmubummed