Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Songs
Atheist Songs
There are countless mindless heavy metal songs about atheism, and anti-religious anthems, but I personally find very few songs concerning atheism that are truly touching.

Here's one that's stuck with me since I first heard it.

'Believe in Nothing' by Nevermore

Quote:Into a strange new world, into the after
All your tears might find you've fallen too far
Take another look, take another ride
Can't we make them leave the hate behind?

And I still believe in nothing
Will we ever see the shape of tomorrow?

Into the empty storm, into the formless loss of hope,
Where we can forget the game

And I still believe in nothing
Will we ever see the cure for our sorrow

Nothing is sacred when no one is saved
Nothing's forever so count your days
Nothing is final and no one is real
Pray for tomorrow and find you're empty still

Nothing

Please share your own.
RE: Atheist Songs
Greydon Square is an atheist rapper. He also beat up the founder of the Rational Response Squad which I have mixed feelings about.
I had no idea people made songs about Atheism.
(August 26, 2008 at 3:50 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Greydon Square is an atheist rapper. He also beat up the founder of the Rational Response Squad which I have mixed feelings about.
Wow, I nwatched Greydon Square's stuff on YouTube a few years ago, when he was first getting noticed. Didn't like the music, but loved the hyrics and the attitude.

I had no idea about the Brian Sapient assualt, so I'm reading up on it now. There was much discussion on JREF and Dawkins forums at the time.

Physical assault - well out of order.
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
(August 26, 2008 at 4:59 pm)Brick-top Wrote: I had no idea people made songs about Atheism.

People make songs about everything. John Lennon's famous 'Imagine' and less-famous 'God are good examples of atheist songwriting:
Quote:God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I'll say it again,
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I don't believe in magic,
I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in bible,
I don't believe in tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler,
I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in mantra,
I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in yoga,
I don't believe in kings,
I don't believe in Elvis,
I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Beatles,
I just believe in me,
Yoko and me,
And that's reality.
The dream is over,
What can I say?
The dream is over,
Yesterday,
I was dreamweaver,
But now I'm reborn,
I was the walrus,
But now I'm John,
And so dear friends,
You just have to carry on,
The dream is over.

Also the rock band Muse seems to lean towards atheism.
I've got john lennons song "god". I play it from time to time. Love it!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(August 26, 2008 at 5:43 pm)Meatball Wrote: Also the rock band Muse seems to lean towards atheism.
I don't think these lyrics reflect atheist thinking at all though.

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Eerie whispers
trapped beneath my pillow
won't let me sleep
your memories

I know you're in this room
I'm sure I heard you sigh
floating in-between
where our worlds collide

It scares the hell out of me
and the end is all I can see
and it scares the hell out of me
and the end is all I can see
yea yea yeaaaaa yea yea
yea yea yea
yea yea o aaa oaaaaaaa!!

I know the moment's near
and there's nothing we can do
look through a faithless eye
are you afraid to die?
(August 26, 2008 at 5:43 pm)Meatball Wrote: People make songs about everything. John Lennon's famous '[i]Imagine

That's pretty funny because he was shot by a Religious fanatic.
(August 26, 2008 at 6:19 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(August 26, 2008 at 5:43 pm)Meatball Wrote: Also the rock band Muse seems to lean towards atheism.
I don't think these lyrics reflect atheist thinking at all though.
You're right, it definitely does indicate a fear of death that any rational atheist shouldn't possess. I did some digging and really didn't find much supporting my statement. I could only find one quote that comes close.

Hysteria
Quote:...And I want you now
I want you now
I'll feel my heart implode
And I'm breaking out
Escaping now
Feeling my faith erode

I wonder why I always thought of Muse as an atheist band...
From http://musewiki.org on Matthew Belamy (lead singer)
Quote:Bellamy has shown signs of atheism: "Being an atheist means you have to realise that when you die, that really is it. You've got to make the most of what you've got here and spread as much influence as you can. I believe that you only live through the influence that you spread, whether that means having a kid or making music".[1]

In 2000 Bellamy stated that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was "extremely cool" to have been able to deceive people into believing she remained a virgin after conceiving.[9]

Bellamy has also stated that God will never be cool due to Satan introducing rock 'n' roll first. He said that "all those cloaks and everything" is "not a good look".[9]

In a session where Matt and Dom answered questions from fans, Bellamy stated that the celebrity alive or dead he'd most like to meet is Jesus Christ (Dom answered Jimi Hendrix for this question). Matt: I'd like to meet Jesus Christ. Eh just because I'd be interested to know how he did it all. You know what I mean? You know...making fish out of bushes and stuff. Walking on water. I'd like to meet someone who can do that. I think that'd be uh, certainly one of the most interesting people to meet I'd say.[1]

However, more recently Bellamy has shown signs of being an Agnostic or a Deist. In an interview with a Rock Music channel in France (2006), Bellamy states, "I believe in the God of the universe, definitely." In addition, he revealed in a 2007 video inverview that, "I don't believe in heaven or hell, I don't really believe in that version"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What songs or artists send you diving for the off button? arewethereyet 145 10942 3 hours ago
Last Post: The Magic Pudding.
  Favourite Songs In Oddly Specific Catagories BrianSoddingBoru4 3 349 February 23, 2022 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Post Trippy Songs vulcanlogician 69 5037 August 20, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: brewer
  What are some songs that have changed their meaning completely over time? FlatAssembler 1 248 November 15, 2020 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Sal
  Songs of your first crush....... Brian37 16 1677 April 3, 2020 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Translating Songs FlatAssembler 28 2872 February 24, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stalky songs that make you think. Brian37 2 559 August 4, 2018 at 10:26 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Songs That Energize You Edwardo Piet 16 2929 June 30, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Favourite Parody/funny/quirky songs and music videos The Valkyrie 27 3461 January 25, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Songs That Make You Happy Shell B 159 15977 July 2, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus