Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Divine Tiberius Will Hate This....
The Divine Tiberius Will Hate This....
but Bill Maher blasted the shit out of Libertarians in New Rules.

RE: The Divine Tiberius Will Hate This....
I saw this and I thought of the conversation the two of you had going on over Libertarianism.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It's /aɪn rænd/! RWAR!!!

Blasting? Meh.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
That is just an american phenomenon.

Those in Europe atualy make sence.

with the exception of those in the UK, who see themselves as the 51st state of the US or believe that the Empire still exists.
Ron Paul (right or wrong) has said the same shit for most of Bill Maher's life. Its pretty far fetched to say that he's changed libertarianism. Bill Maher just clung to the libertarian label because he didn't want to call himself a liberal. Bill Maher is so politically uninformed and smug at the same time. Somewhere along the way it morphed? I don't think he really knows the history of libertarianism. It's just some shiny label he heard and decided to call himself that without really knowing anything about it.

The only thing that's accurate in his whole dialog is that Atlas Shrugged is mind numbingly boring. Only the bible rivals Atlas Shrugged in terms of pure boringness.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(April 7, 2013 at 10:19 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: Ron Paul (right or wrong) has said the same shit for most of Bill Maher's life. Its pretty far fetched to say that he's changed libertarianism. Bill Maher just clung to the libertarian label because he didn't want to call himself a liberal. Bill Maher is so politically uninformed and smug at the same time. Somewhere along the way it morphed? I don't think he really knows the history of libertarianism. It's just some shiny label he heard and decided to call himself that without really knowing anything about it.

The only thing that's accurate in his whole dialog is that Atlas Shrugged is mind numbingly boring. Only the bible rivals Atlas Shrugged in terms of pure boringness.

Bill Maher is a comedian, I've never seen him as anything more than that. Except now he says some pretty stupid things with all seriousness...
(April 7, 2013 at 1:05 am)Minimalist Wrote: but Bill Maher blasted the shit out of Libertarians in New Rules.
I didn't hate it, mainly because he didn't blast the shit out of Libertarians.

Firstly, his opening graphic was Rand Paul, Paul Ryan, and Ron Paul. Only one of whom can accurately be called a Libertarian (hint: it's the third one...the one he never mentions in his speech).

Secondly, he seems to think that Libertarianism has only ever dealt with social issues, which is simply wrong. Libertarianism (and it's predecessor classical liberalism) have always held up the free market as the best economic system. If Bill Maher didn't want big government in his bedroom or medicine chest, but wanted government to have some control over the markets, he wasn't a Libertarian...he was a liberal, plain and simple.

Thirdly, whilst Ayn Rand has influenced Libertarians, her book was not some kind of catalyst for support of the free market in Libertarian ideology, which I said previously, already existed. Indeed, some of her social views are entirely incompatible with Libertarianism, such as her view of ethics, which states that an individual should "exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself". This goes against the Libertarian ideal of charity existing to help the unfortunate, rather than depending on government.

I've posted recently about libertarian "pretenders" in America. Looks like Bill Maher should also be added to that list. If you want to argue against Libertarianism, argue against Libertarianism. Don't argue against Rand Paulism or Paul Ryanism and call it Libertarianism. You'll end up arguing a strawman.

You know who most actual Libertarians voted for in the presidential election, of which Paul Ryan was a candidate for Vice President? Gary Johnson, of the Libertarian Party.
Which is why Johnson performed dismally. There are few actual libertarians. Which is why the rich ones bought the republican party.

Maher is inherently correct though. Years ago the libertarians were merely harmless crackpots. Now, with the Koch Brothers' money behind them and the religious right following orders, they have gotten dangerous.
(April 7, 2013 at 7:22 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: with the exception of those in the UK, who see themselves as the 51st state of the US...

Given the way we treated them under the W Bush administration, I'm surprised they didn't dump Coca-Cola into the Themes.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1322 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The problem with "Hate crimes". onlinebiker 25 1180 February 11, 2022 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 876 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1849 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 388 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is Trump Hate Legit or Mob Control? jessieban 37 5512 June 21, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1626 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  This is why people hate America NuclearEnergy 57 13338 September 4, 2017 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  No Wonder The Republicunts Will Hate It! Minimalist 1 597 July 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I want to know, why do these people hate Obama so much? NuclearEnergy 42 15008 July 21, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne