Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equal marriage for all?
Equal marriage for all?
Regarding equal marriage...

What of thruples (partners of 3: maybe of differing or same gender)?

If two men and a woman are happy to all have a relationship with eachother and wish to have this enshrined in law - must we punish one of them by continuing to stuck to the Christian model of marriage?
Kudos given by (1): Dawud
RE: Equal marriage for all?
Probably shouldn't - but I think, at least here, we'll have to get our shit together with the equality under law of just two people - before we add a third to the mix.

What christian model of marriage?
(this was an area that the church was generally content not to intrude upon until very recently, if you weren't aware. Perhaps it was just something they clung to as they lost all their power elsewhere)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If consenting adults agree to engage in a group marriage then it is no ones concern but theirs.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
You really should seek psychiatric help mate.

You model (xtian) is no different than any of the abrahamic religions and has nil all to do with Equal marriage before the law that the LGBTQ community is advocating.

You want beastiality? go for islam. You want polygamy? Go for mormonism. These religions seem ok in the US for this type of behaviour. Here in Oz it is not that common.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I have no problems with plural marriages. However, all parties should be involved. By this I mean, if a man and woman are married, and the man wants to take a second wife, than his first wife should get a say, and be legally bound (married) to this second wife as well. None of this, "I'm a man, I can marry as many women as I want," (or vice versa) nonsense. Either all parties are for the plural marriage or it doesn't happen. Equal voices for equal partners.
Who gives a shit what other adults do as long as they're not hurting other people or unconsenting animals/children?

Marriage is a piece of paper that legally binds two people's finances together. The relationship itself is up to those two people. The words on the page don't have any magical meaning. If three people can keep a relationship together in a healthy manner, that's what counts. Especially since it's so easy these days to write out inheritance or test paternity.

I know several polyamorous couples down here in the local atheist group. Two of those couples consist of the most well-adjusted people I've ever met. Granted, this isn't polygamy, but they are certainly capable of being healthy outside this 50's-ish idea of the nuclear family.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
In fact, one could postulate 3 women and two men.

Or 5 men and 3 women and so on and so forth.

And this would also provide a better level for the family unit as the death or departure of a member would not be as injurious to the whole as it would be in a monogamous relationship.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Have to agree Summer Queen. This "holyer than thou" ideal of marriage is nothing more than a social contract regarding financial status of the parties involved. As such it is beyond religion to interfere and should be recognised in secular law to achieve equality before said law.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think people also fear that if this is allowed, there will be jealousy issues. There very well might be, but those happen in monogamous relationships too.

I can tell you - the slow introduction of gay marriage hasn't done fuck all to the monogamous, 'traditional' relationship I currently hold with my boyfriend, and the idea that some couples are fucking other couples ALSO hasn't made us want to go out and fuck other people. That's just how we are together. People just need to mind their own goddamn business instead of worrying about other people to mask the fact that they can't be successful in their own relationship.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I think the thing is that there should be the protection of law there too?

What I meant by Christian view of marriage is really a monogamous relationship between a pair of opposite sex - the prevailing model in UK etc. There are differences in the 'Abrahamic faiths' if you know them intimately but they are really a side point and surely not relevant?

I think that it is more of a legal question - are thruples legally protected and should they be treated different with regards to marriage and is this not inequality? should our legal system penalise them?
Kudos given by (1): Dawud

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1151 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 524 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1539 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1544 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4834 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2226 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What Is This All Men Are Equal Under The Law Shit? Minimalist 10 3385 May 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  No One Actually Wants an Equal Society InquiringMind 69 7971 March 21, 2017 at 11:31 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, do you support same-sex marriage? TristanTeller 72 15629 July 31, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Your views on MARRIAGE Catholic_Lady 213 35005 July 12, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho