Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creation and G-d
Creation and G-d
So I have always wondered this and would like some insight. G-d created the world in seven days (symbolically) and he may have used evolution to create. The thing that I can't seem to understand is the scenario with Adam and Eve. We all have heard the story of them eating the forbidden apple, that Satan tempted them to do, and then sin was 'born.'

Ok, so whether you believe in the word 'sin,' or not, lets just discuss this at a general meaning. So was sin really born? From what? G-d perhaps or some other cosmic fixation that goes back to G-d? Would that then make G-d imperfect since He created something that made Him have to send His Son to die for the "sins," that He created? This just doesn't make sense. Regardless if he is imperfect or not, I still choose to believe in G-d, who is more perfect than I can ever be. Your thoughts anyone?
“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
RE: Creation and G-d
Man created sin to control the masses, making the sheep believe that they must adhere to the rules of the church and God in order to be rewarded in this life and the afterlife.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The point of the story is that you're a sinner and I'm a sinner, everybody's a sinner and we've got to get on our knees and suck God's dick until he blows a wad of forgiveness. Or something like that.
(April 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Man created sin to control the masses, making the sheep believe that they must adhere to the rules of the church and God in order to be rewarded in this life and the afterlife.

So Adam controlled a church of a wife and 2 kids? If man created sin, than that makes us imperfect gods right?
“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
(April 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm)TosinAsLeader Wrote: So Adam controlled a church of a wife and 2 kids?
If man created sin, than that makes us imperfect gods right?

Considering that you believe in a literal Adam and Eve, I can understand how you would have trouble differentiating between your faith and the fact that the Bible was written by fallible men who were not divinely inspired.

Man created the concept of sin. In reality, there is no such thing as sin.

There is good and bad, morality, guilty consciences, but sin and divine atonement are concepts created merely to control the masses.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I suppose it would be useful to explore the limits of the term (or our usage of it) before waffling on over it. Can something be "wrong" without being "sinful"? Can something be "right" while simultaneously being "sinful"?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I've been having this conversation on and off today, and there's really two paths one can take with this sin thing: either god designed it when he was doing the whole universe creation thing- making him either real fucked up or incompetent- or it happened by accident or satanic design- making him... well, pretty much one or the other, again Tongue .

Either way, I encourage you to keep questioning like you are, that's a good sign. Don't give religious ideas a free pass just because you believe in them, keep being intellectually honest. You seem pretty grounded, so I don't necessarily want to be mean to you, but I find your reasoning for believing in god flawed; just because you can envision a being that's better than you doesn't entail that this being existed. Nor do I think you can choose your beliefs, but that's a whole separate kettle of fish.

Welcome, regardless. You should make an introductory thread so we can all say hi, before you lower yourself into the shark tank like you have. It's the only uniformly nice reaction you're likely to get. Wink
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Sin is simply the disease that Christians try to convince you that you have, so they can then sell you the cure(Christianity).
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm)TosinAsLeader Wrote: Regardless if he is imperfect or not, I still choose to believe in G-d, who is more perfect than I can ever be. Your thoughts anyone?

Based on that reasoning, Bo Jackson is probably better qualified to be god.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
"Sin from my lips? O trespass sweetly urg'd!
Give me my sin again."

[puckers up]
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution/creation video Drich 62 9438 January 15, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 5945 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Tower of Bible and creation of languages mcolafson 41 6055 September 22, 2016 at 9:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Creation Muesum Blondie 225 35079 October 31, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Biblical Creation and the Geological Record in Juxtaposition Rhondazvous 11 3850 June 7, 2015 at 7:42 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Creation/evolution3 Drich 626 140008 February 10, 2015 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Creation "science" at its finest! Esquilax 22 7480 January 30, 2015 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 12151 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Creation BrokenQuill92 33 10038 March 27, 2014 at 1:42 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  Over 30 Creation Stories StoryBook 5 2586 January 11, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist