Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:44 pm

Poll: Who is, according to you, the best film score composer?
This poll is closed.
Hans Zimmer [The Dark Knight, Inception]
28.57%
2 28.57%
John Murphy [Kick-Ass, Sunshine]
0%
0 0%
Clint(on) Mansell [Pi, Requiem for a Dream]
14.29%
1 14.29%
James Horner [Titanic, Avatar]
0%
0 0%
John Williams [Schindler's List, Indiana Jones]
14.29%
1 14.29%
Other.
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is, according to you, the best film score composer?
Who is, according to you, the best film score composer?
A film score composer is a general term referring to an individual who writes music for film.
RE: Who is, according to you, the best film score composer?
Oh, you're missing so many good composers in your poll! Big Grin

My favorite is Joe Hisaishi, who has composed all the music for Hayao Miyazaki's films.

Then there is Danny Elfman, a crazy genius who dots the i of Tim Burton's movies.

And last but not least, Alan Silvestri, who brought us among other things the Back to the Future theme.

When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hans Zimmer. Hands down the best movie (and video games) song composer.
(May 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm)wwjs Wrote: Hans Zimmer. Hands down the best movie (and video games) song composer.

Bah! Tell that to Nobuo Uematsu! Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Ok, maybe not video games but definitely for movies Big Grin
Hans Zimmer is good, but after a while his 'dum-daka-daka dum-daka-daka dum-daka-daka' gets a bit old (as heard in The Gladiator and Pirates of The Caribbean for instance.).

My vote is for Max Steiner (Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, etc.), but Carl Stalling (Looney Tunes) is a very close second.
(May 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: but Carl Stalling (Looney Tunes) is a very close second.

Yeah, his was more looney than tunes.

Mychael Donna at the moment. But I haven't listen to enough of his work to know whether he is a one trick pony like many film composers, who essentially recycle the same small repetoir of themes over and over again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number 5's Surreal Creepy Film Collection zwanzig 111 6811 May 15, 2023 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Stuart: A Life Backwards (Film) Shell B 0 250 April 12, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Anyone remember this cartoon/nature film spoof? Brian37 0 379 October 11, 2017 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Dark Tower-Film Shell B 28 3176 August 6, 2017 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Best original music from a film? Aegon 32 3886 July 5, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Film Club Excited Penguin 84 9480 May 5, 2016 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Film Club #2 - Coherence [Discussion] Heat 44 4597 March 29, 2016 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Life Lessons From Film? BrianSoddingBoru4 10 1773 February 27, 2016 at 12:17 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Film Club #2 - Coherence Heat 15 2549 February 26, 2016 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Film Club #1 - Enemy Excited Penguin 43 5389 February 23, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Aroura