Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surprising but true.
Surprising but true.
Something that people don't know about you that is somewhat out of the ordinary and would probably never be suspected.

I'll start..

I am an only child of two blind parents (sadly now passed on) and spent all of my childhood, teenage years and into my twenties living with at least two, sometimes three Guide Dogs. My father had a hereditary disease, Aniridia (only one other family in the country had it) meaning that he had no iris. Consequently most of my uncles, aunties, cousins etc. on my fathers side were also blind or visually impaired. My mother lost her sight at the age of five and went to an all girls school for blind girls, so, many friends of the family were also blind.

Your turn...
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Surprising but true.
I started reading at the age of three. My sister, four years my senior, wanted to play school with me and suddenly words made sense to me. My parents did not believe us at first, so dad wrote some short words on small slips of paper and I remember a weekend morning when he presented them to me and I read them all. At first I read only books with lots of illustrations and not so many words, but at the age of six*, when I started school, my teacher had to give me a reading book meant for third graders, since I read the hardest level first grade book in one afternoon. I used to frequent our library a lot as a child.

*Kids in Finland usually begin school when they're seven, so that is another odd thing for me.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

2 things:
1 - I have Syndactyly on my feet.
2- When I was on 9th grade, I took some sort of school guidance, where a psychologist would do tests on the kids and then advise on what kind of area you should take... I was "diagnosed" as a good potential economist... but I didn't want to take geography, nor history, so I went for sciences.. and ended up in physics.
1. I have Chronic Recurrent Multifocal Osteomyelitis in numerous places
2. Most things I'm well known for/good at; the people that it really matters to, can never know
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
(April 30, 2013 at 5:06 am)Darwinian Wrote: Something that people don't know about you that is somewhat out of the ordinary and would probably never be suspected.

I'll start..

I am an only child of two blind parents (sadly now passed on) and spent all of my childhood, teenage years and into my twenties living with at least two, sometimes three Guide Dogs. My father had a hereditary disease, Aniridia (only one other family in the country had it) meaning that he had no iris. Consequently most of my uncles, aunties, cousins etc. on my fathers side were also blind or visually impaired. My mother lost her sight at the age of five and went to an all girls school for blind girls, so, many friends of the family were also blind.

Your turn...

You also forgot to mention how clever and caring you are Dar

(April 30, 2013 at 5:36 am)Kayenneh Wrote: I started reading at the age of three. My sister, four years my senior, wanted to play school with me and suddenly words made sense to me. My parents did not believe us at first, so dad wrote some short words on small slips of paper and I remember a weekend morning when he presented them to me and I read them all. At first I read only books with lots of illustrations and not so many words, but at the age of six*, when I started school, my teacher had to give me a reading book meant for third graders, since I read the hardest level first grade book in one afternoon. I used to frequent our library a lot as a child.

*Kids in Finland usually begin school when they're seven, so that is another odd thing for me.

And YOU forgot to mention how beautiful you are Kayenneh

(April 30, 2013 at 7:04 am)pocaracas Wrote: 2 things:
1 - I have Syndactyly on my feet.
2- When I was on 9th grade, I took some sort of school guidance, where a psychologist would do tests on the kids and then advise on what kind of area you should take... I was "diagnosed" as a good potential economist... but I didn't want to take geography, nor history, so I went for sciences.. and ended up in physics.

You have forgotten to mention how patient you are pocaracas

(April 30, 2013 at 7:42 am)Joel Wrote: 1. I have Chronic Recurrent Multifocal Osteomyelitis in numerous places
2. Most things I'm well known for/good at; the people that it really matters to, can never know

You have forgotten to mention your curiosity Joel .....
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
The forum mum speaks and makes everyone feel better.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I was deaf until the age of 4 or 5...

I understood algebra without help at the age of 9....

I had troubles with school throughout my life, from nearly flunking high school and graduating at the bottom of my class to getting kicked out of college because of my grades...

My favorite animals are manatees, meerkats, and sloths....

I have the MacGuffin.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 30, 2013 at 5:06 am)Darwinian Wrote: Something that people don't know about you that is somewhat out of the ordinary and would probably never be suspected.

I am actually a complete arsehole in real life. I know what you're thinking. "Really? No way, that's impossible". It's sad but it's true....
Like Kay, I learned to read at three. I also learned to read music at three. I don't have conscious memory of learning either, so it's almost like they're inherent. Knowing how to read, though, was tough when I started school because I didn't do it "correctly" with phonics.
I learned to read very young as well, seeing as there wasn't much else to do where we lived.

I contracted pneumonia as a two-month old, and my left lung suffered a partial collapse. For about twenty years afterwards, when I became fatigued I'd feel a very sharp and uncomfortable ache in my chest near the area where it collapsed.

My knees can hyper-extend about two inches. This has not proven to be particularly useful, and was the cause of some very painful episodes during my early teens-- I would be running, and upon planting one of my feet the knee would bend the wrong way and absorb my full weight and momentum a split-second afterwards. It hurt like a motherfucker. Thankfully, there was no lasting damage.

And finally... I didn't suffer a broken bone until I was 40 years old, when I broke a small bone in my left wrist... which took 23 weeks to heal.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A true Christmas story. Jehanne 6 854 December 19, 2022 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Learn the true mersey Angrboda 7 474 March 18, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A Confession (my true identity) Catholic_Lady 96 19065 April 13, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  The True Meaning of The 25th Of December BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2610 December 24, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A Compelling Reasn to Strangle, Shoot, Stab, Poison, and Otherwise Kill You True Love Rhondazvous 13 3030 December 14, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  true blanket statements. ignoramus 15 3445 November 16, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: mediocrates
  True Love - Did you ? Khansins 56 8023 November 15, 2014 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Star Ask Me Anything - Answers from a true Christian's Perspective! Christian 63 23302 February 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Biting article about the true cost of being open-minded. Rhizomorph13 2 1520 March 1, 2011 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Are we surprising? Edwardo Piet 23 6278 January 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Meatball