Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk about crazy religions
Talk about crazy religions
Sealed glasses against 'forbidden sights'

Haredi organization steps up struggle for 'filmless flights,' offering Breslov Hasidim flying to Uman special stickers to attach to their glasses in order to guarantee 'full eye protection'

Kobi Nachshoni
Published: 05.05.13, 15:01 / Israel Jewish Scene
Sealed glasses against 'forbidden sights'
We're all familiar with the eye masks passengers wear on planes to help them sleep, but avoiding "forbidden sights" – such as films screened during flights – entails a new invention.

Creative Methods
Man in bag: I was following rabbi's orders / Itzchak Tessler
Haredi passenger photographed wrapped in large plastic bag during flight tells Ynet about his long Air Force service before becoming religious. His rabbi criticizes public reaction to photo, says people should 'treat Judaism with a minimum of respect'
Full story
An ultra-Orthodox organization affiliated with the Breslov Hasidic movement is offering Jews flying to the grave of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov in Uman sealed stickers that can be attached to the lenses of their glasses in order to guarantee "full eye protection."

A leaflet distributed in recent days among the Hasidim, on behalf of the Purity of the Camp organization, informs them of a step up in the struggle for "filmless flights."

משפיעי אנ"ש מוכנים להצטלם כדי שעוד אחד ישמור את עיניו (צילום: בחדרי חרדים)

Ad promoting sealed eyeglasses (Photo: Behadrei Haredim)

Previously, the organization produced personal screens allowing each passenger to separate himself from his surroundings on the plane. Now it is recommending using a stricter method which involves sealing one's eyes.

The four-page leaflet, published on the Behadrei Haredim website, includes pictures of several Breslov rabbis wearing scarves restricting their eyesight or glasses with the "modesty stickers."

The leaflet explains that the rabbis pictured in the ads agreed to engage in "modeling" in order to "help one more person protect his eyes."

"כדי לא להיטמא בכיעור הסרטים" (צילום: בחדרי חרדים)

'So as not to be contaminated by films' (Photo: Behadrei Haredim)

"This is how they traveled to Uman last year with a smile," says the caption to a picture showing the rabbis with shawls covering their faces. "This year we recommend travelling with the scarves too, but if you find it difficult – you can use the glasses instead."

According to the leaflet, the variety of solutions offered "to protect the eyes" were concocted after haredim who flew to New York were forced to tie their children's eyes with a handkerchief for more than 10 hours so that they would not be "contaminated by the ugliness of the films."

The leaflets also present illustrations of the accessories, as well as impressions and recommendations from Breslov Hasidim who have already used them.

Kohen in a bag
[Image: 45655690992088408258yes1130.jpg]
RE: Talk about crazy religions
I say they should force the airline to have swivel seats. Or maybe just ban Jews from flying... Undecided
I don't get it. How the fuck did she eat her peanuts?
so let me get this straight? they don't like the in-flight movies?
According to the OP, they didn't think the movies were appropriate for their children.
If there's a loss in cabin pressure, I guess she gets to laugh at everyone else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1825 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2727 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3471 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 10995 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3703 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10737 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1298 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12808 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 598 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11040 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII