Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriage outdated?
Marriage outdated?
I sometimes hear that marriage is an "outdated institution." Assuming that, what should replace marriage?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Marriage outdated?
(May 19, 2013 at 3:41 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I sometimes hear that marriage is an "outdated institution." Assuming that, what should replace marriage?

People sticking together because they want to.
(May 19, 2013 at 6:56 am)Insanity x Wrote:
(May 19, 2013 at 3:41 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I sometimes hear that marriage is an "outdated institution." Assuming that, what should replace marriage?
People sticking together because they want to.
This.
(May 19, 2013 at 6:59 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(May 19, 2013 at 6:56 am)Insanity x Wrote: People sticking together because they want to.
This.

Even if it would work for the majority of people.... it wouldn't for a few who would just con their partners and then leave them penniless, homeless and with children to take care of.
Marriage, as a social contract overseen by the government, provides some assurances to both parties.

Marriage, as a religious contract, is dumb.
(May 19, 2013 at 7:37 am)pocaracas Wrote: Even if it would work for the majority of people.... it wouldn't for a few who would just con their partners and then leave them penniless, homeless and with children to take care of.
Marriage, as a social contract overseen by the government, provides some assurances to both parties.
The thing is, even married people sometimes end up being conned and left penniless, homeless and with children to take care of.
(May 19, 2013 at 7:53 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(May 19, 2013 at 7:37 am)pocaracas Wrote: Even if it would work for the majority of people.... it wouldn't for a few who would just con their partners and then leave them penniless, homeless and with children to take care of.
The thing is, even married people sometimes end up being conned and left penniless, homeless and with children to take care of.
Well, there are people still murdered despite laws against murder, you want to get rid of them too?
(May 19, 2013 at 8:02 am)ideologue08 Wrote:
(May 19, 2013 at 7:53 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: The thing is, even married people sometimes end up being conned and left penniless, homeless and with children to take care of.
Well, there are people still murdered despite laws against murder, you want to get rid of them too?
Yeah, because that's the same? lol wtf?
(May 19, 2013 at 8:07 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(May 19, 2013 at 8:02 am)ideologue08 Wrote: Well, there are people still murdered despite laws against murder, you want to get rid of them too?
Yeah, because that's the same? lol wtf?
Yeah well, that was my reaction when you said that gay relationships are the same as straight relationships. But more on point, you are arguing against marriage because apparently it doesn't work all the time, murder laws don't work either. I didn't say they're the same thing but the argument is the same haha
I'm not arguing against marriage because it doesn't work all the time. I just pointed out that it doesn't protect people from being conned and having their lives ruined by a partner.
(May 19, 2013 at 8:27 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I'm not arguing against marriage because it doesn't work all the time. I just pointed out that it doesn't protect people from being conned and having their lives ruined by a partner.
Well murder laws don't protect people either, or stop having their lives ended...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great marriage advice. Jehanne 52 12727 April 22, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  Marriage Surnames Tiberius 84 8483 December 4, 2015 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Do you believe in Marriage? ErGingerbreadMandude 61 6744 November 1, 2015 at 4:20 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Marriage is a man and a woman living together rado84 46 7769 July 18, 2015 at 7:48 am
Last Post: abaris
  marriage Phatt Matt s 64 7895 April 12, 2014 at 12:51 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Gay marriage passes in England and Wales! Big Blue Sky 32 10619 June 4, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Right-wing writer kills himself after marriage equality passes Big Blue Sky 11 2894 May 28, 2013 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: dazzn
  Poll - Christianity is a Ridiculous Compliation of Outdated Myths Derived from Pure Ignorance? RonaldReagansGhost666 1 1512 April 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  NFL player supports gay marriage. Brian37 6 3617 September 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Atheist Marriage Rhizomorph13 22 6132 May 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist