Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank God for Atheist Forums!
Thank God for Atheist Forums!
I went on to a Christian Forum thinking that perhaps surrounding myself with individuals that agree with me, isn't the best way to have my perspectives challenged, which by the way, is something I do admire about the theists willing to participate on this site. However, some people fight to keep things one-sided so as not to disturb the sheep. Upon creating my profile, Atheist was a stance you could select under religion, and they even gave you a cute little Atom icon next to your name to indicate your stance. Christians got a little cross...etc.

A 19 year old kid posted a thread about prayer. He said that he didn't think anyone was listening and went on to list reasons that were beginning to convince him that this was a good possibility.

He got about 6 of these responses...

"God is listening, you just have to have faith that he knows what's best, and he will answer your prayers in His way."

or..

"The nature of your prayers sound selfish. If you focused on asking for things for other people, he would be more likely to grant them."

and of course these...

"It was probably not a good time as he has a plan for you. Continue to praise him and love him with your entire being, put him first and above all, and he will rain down blessings on you in due time."

I thought...hmm: Do these people honestly think that if somebody came to him a few months before the light bulb came on in his head, with the same concerns, that he would not give them the same standardized responses??!! Aren't these things that children are taught right out of the gate to get the ball rolling on these sorts of unflasifiable claims???

He responded to them with further concerns, and valid observations that confirm what he suspects, and yet still...more people offered the same advice in different words.

So...I offered a little Atheist perspective pertaining to his OP...This is the response from the mod that came the next day (I've edited the forums name because I'm not sure if it would be against the rules to post it or not)

Hi Texas Sailor,

Your post quoted below was recently reported for staff review. After careful review our moderating team has reached consensus and has decided to send you a Counseling Private Message (CPM) for this post which you made in the thread "Why doesn't prayer work?" for violation of the following XXXX Forums rule:

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not post in the forums reserved for Christians only, unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in Unorthodox Theology.

Since you've identified yourself as an atheist, you may not post in areas marked "Christian Only". Your post will remain deleted from the thread. Please take some time to review our Sitewide Rules before making any further posts. You should also review the Moderation Protocol for XXXX Forums. This CPM does not expire and will remain on your staff record to verify that you have been contacted about following XF rules and guidelines. Any further violations will result in warnings and infractions.

All of XF sitewide rules, moderation protocol, and general information may be accessed through our FAQ's Link. Please also be aware that some of the forums have guidelines for posting in that forum. These guidelines are called the forum Statement of Purpose. These threads are sticky threads and are located at the top of the forum's page. It is your responsibility to read and abide by the Statement of Purpose threads before posting in any of our forums.

As it turns out...there is no forum that is not labeled Christians Only except the one titled "Exploring Christianity". I was told to post there, and my first thread was promptly deleted. They said that forum was strictly for people with questions pertaining to How to be a christian, and apparently not setup for challenging the claims made by the people that practice the religion.

Thanks Atheist Forums.org!
RE: Thank God for Atheist Forums!
Every person I've known who has visited a religious/christian forum has been banned for being an atheist at some point after a while.

At least they're not banning people just for identifying themselves as atheist, which I know happened to a few people a while back on some sites.

A lot of theists accuse atheist forums of being quick to ban (I find AF.org is very, very lenient, which is a good thing most of the time), but they ain't got nothing on religious forums. "Hi I'm an atheist" - BAN.

EDIT: sorry, thought were talking about CF.com
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(May 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Every person I've known who has visited that forum has been banned for being an atheist.

At least they're not banning people just for identifying themselves as atheist, which I know happened to a few people a while back.

Lol, its crazy! What could they possibly have to fear if they truly have faith, and if God is on their side, what possible sway could I have over their lesser believers?...Oh wait, I'm just the devil's work in human form. Of course...Got it.
AhAHAHAH Been there, done that, got the CPM too... twice or thrice... I think the second time awarded me a temporary ban... the third was more of a permaban.

And I wasn't even offering the atheist perspective! I was offering their own perspective... as I see it, at least. -.-'

AF, on the other side, has no "atheists only" area. Everyone is welcome to say whatever they want and it feels just right! And I think the theists around here like it that way too.
No atheist is a true atheist™ if it wasn't banned from a christian forum for just being... honest. Big Grin
I remember cruising the rules of about 4 different christian forums a while ago. Somewhere in the rules, there's always one that basically translates to "No challenging our beliefs." Sometimes they're smart about it and it's "No provoking flamewars" and of course, by being an atheist or challenging their beliefs, you're provoking 'flame wars.'
(May 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: I remember cruising the rules of about 4 different christian forums a while ago. Somewhere in the rules, there's always one that basically translates to "No challenging our beliefs." Sometimes they're smart about it and it's "No provoking flamewars" and of course, by being an atheist or challenging their beliefs, you're provoking 'flame wars.'

I still smell butthurt somewhere around there Big Grin

You don't even lift Tongue
(May 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm)LastPoet Wrote: No atheist is a true atheist™ if it wasn't banned from a christian forum for just being... honest. Big Grin

I feel so pathetic now, shame on me... Although I did have a pet jehovahs witness for about three years. Pet is a lie we actually became friends.
Is that one of those sites where they give each other "blessings" and other such nauseating shit? I can't imagine wanting to hang out with morons like that. The ones we get here are bad enough but at least one is free to shit all over them.
Yup! They get blessings, and they quantify them into absurd numbers without limitation. Kinda like Rep. But on their forum you can have a blessing count/power level of 999,948,567,768,800,369,688!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Experience of Atheists on Christian Forums Rhondazvous 29 6684 March 11, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did anyone here post at the Atheist Plus forums? TheMessiah 10 4461 June 7, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Why do never-theists come to atheist forums? watchamadoodle 26 6679 January 8, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  The Symbol of the Atheist Forums sven 8 1647 May 2, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Do you follow any other athiest-religious sites/forums? shep 30 8950 March 18, 2014 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7107 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Heart Please participate in my experiment. Thank you Hunter9035 138 52499 March 18, 2012 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Phil
  Lamebook: Atheist Forums edition ElDinero 2 1495 September 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn