Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does God have any moral responsibility to his children?

Human parents have a moral responsibility to protect and try to raise their children to be what we think of as good citizens. Our laws, to some extent, make parents morally and legally responsible for the actions of their children.

God, our heavenly parent, is said to create our natures. Natures can only be followed. They cannot be changed, which I think is why God is said to hate some of us even in the womb; even before we can either do good or evil. IOW, he intentionally creates those he knows will be evil. I know some will blame man’s sins on his free will and thus shift the burden of responsibility for our sins away from God but that urge to sin is controlled by the nature and inclinations that God himself puts in us. We do have free will but that does not explain why our will, will go to evil instead of good. That desire is part of the nature that God puts in us as the story of Esau shows. In a way, Esau had no choice.

If God were just one of many Gods in a God society, would that society demand that he take responsibility in the same way human society has decided that a human child’s parent must take responsibilities?

Yes we would.

The fact that God punishes or rewards us seems to indicate that he at least thinks that he has some moral responsibility; otherwise he could not morally retain the right to punish or reward. At present we have no clear picture of what heaven and hell are like. God does not provide full disclosure even though our soul is at stake. That is not justice.

Should God’s responsibility include full disclose of what our true reward and punishment is?

God did not seem to think so in Eden, where Adam and Eve knew of only the one punishment before the act of disobedience. They soon found that the one punishment became many. It was a complete surprise for them. To me, that was completely immoral of God. That is like God lying to Adam and Eve by omission.

Does God have a responsibility for the souls he creates?

And since he could insure that all come to a good end in heaven, is making sure we get there also part of his responsibility since he creates the natures we cannot help but follow?

Any good human parent with God-like powers would insure the best end for his child if he had the power of a God. I know you and I would as part of our inclination to love and protect our children.

If God does not, does that make man more responsible than God in terms of accepting responsibility for our children?

Regards
DL
RE: Does God have any moral responsibility to his children?
(May 29, 2013 at 10:08 am)Greatest I am Wrote: ...God...
Um, *cough*, some here might question your premises that there even is such a thing, or that it is even well defined.
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
(May 29, 2013 at 10:08 am)Greatest I am Wrote: Does God have any moral responsibility to his children?

Human parents have a moral responsibility to protect and try to raise their children to be what we think of as good citizens. Our laws, to some extent, make parents morally and legally responsible for the actions of their children.

God, our heavenly parent, is said to create our natures. Natures can only be followed. They cannot be changed, which I think is why God is said to hate some of us even in the womb; even before we can either do good or evil. IOW, he intentionally creates those he knows will be evil. I know some will blame man’s sins on his free will and thus shift the burden of responsibility for our sins away from God but that urge to sin is controlled by the nature and inclinations that God himself puts in us. We do have free will but that does not explain why our will, will go to evil instead of good. That desire is part of the nature that God puts in us as the story of Esau shows. In a way, Esau had no choice.

If God were just one of many Gods in a God society, would that society demand that he take responsibility in the same way human society has decided that a human child’s parent must take responsibilities?

Yes we would.

The fact that God punishes or rewards us seems to indicate that he at least thinks that he has some moral responsibility; otherwise he could not morally retain the right to punish or reward. At present we have no clear picture of what heaven and hell are like. God does not provide full disclosure even though our soul is at stake. That is not justice.

Should God’s responsibility include full disclose of what our true reward and punishment is?

God did not seem to think so in Eden, where Adam and Eve knew of only the one punishment before the act of disobedience. They soon found that the one punishment became many. It was a complete surprise for them. To me, that was completely immoral of God. That is like God lying to Adam and Eve by omission.

Does God have a responsibility for the souls he creates?

And since he could insure that all come to a good end in heaven, is making sure we get there also part of his responsibility since he creates the natures we cannot help but follow?

Any good human parent with God-like powers would insure the best end for his child if he had the power of a God. I know you and I would as part of our inclination to love and protect our children.

If God does not, does that make man more responsible than God in terms of accepting responsibility for our children?

Regards
DL
This is what happens when you either do not know what the bible says about this or ignore it.
We are not Children of God, not from birth anyway. (No one is born a child of God, we must A/S/K for that honor.) God created Adam, then from Adam Eve. We Are the offspring of those in whom He created.

Christ in Mat 13 Call us Seed:24 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

28 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

29 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

So you see we are seed some God planted, and others were planted by God's enemy. Some grow into wheat, and other's weeds. What gardner does not hate weeds? But as the parable says both are allowed to grow together till the harvest (Our death) then they will be seperated.

Only God know who is wheat and who is weed. We sometimes surround ourselves with so much weedieness we forget that at heart we have the potential to produce the wheat God is looking for. In the end Wheat is what God is looking for. Not everything that grows in the field is wheat.
(May 29, 2013 at 10:31 am)littleendian Wrote:
Um, *cough*, some here might question your premises that there even is such a thing, or that it is even well defined.

Then it seems they have no dog in this race.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 29, 2013 at 10:58 am)Drich Wrote: ... So you see we are seed some God planted, and others were planted by God's enemy. Some grow into wheat, and other's weeds. What gardner does not hate weeds? But as the parable says both are allowed to grow together till the harvest (Our death) then they will be seperated...

And yet, plenty of believers interfere with this premise of yours by pluckin' lil' sprouts as soon as they spot that they might be "weeds", isn't that against the grand plan that ya all find so dear an sacred ? FSM Grin
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
(May 29, 2013 at 10:31 am)littleendian Wrote:
NSS, doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

(May 29, 2013 at 10:08 am)Greatest I am Wrote: Does God have any moral responsibility to his children?
Yes.

Problem with your argument is that you assume all people are his children without supporting that premise Biblically. IIRC you do this every few months.

Here's one from March:
http://atheistforums.org/thread-17601.html
Quote:Should God the Father adore man for teaching him better morals and ethics than what he has taught man?

Does God the Father have any moral responsibility to his children?
Quote:So you see we are seed some God planted, and others were planted by God's enemy.

Rather stupid of god to have created that enemy, then.

For a "god" your boy seems to fuck up quite a bit.
(May 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm)FifthElement Wrote:
(May 29, 2013 at 10:58 am)Drich Wrote: ... So you see we are seed some God planted, and others were planted by God's enemy. Some grow into wheat, and other's weeds. What gardner does not hate weeds? But as the parable says both are allowed to grow together till the harvest (Our death) then they will be seperated...

And yet, plenty of believers interfere with this premise of yours by pluckin' lil' sprouts as soon as they spot that they might be "weeds", isn't that against the grand plan that ya all find so dear an sacred ? FSM Grin
I'm not so good with unexplained parables you're going to have to help me out here.

(May 29, 2013 at 10:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:So you see we are seed some God planted, and others were planted by God's enemy.

Rather stupid of god to have created that enemy, then.

For a "god" your boy seems to fuck up quite a bit.

Idk Minnie. Without 'him' there wouldn't be choice. After all who would represent the otherside of God's expressed will?
(May 29, 2013 at 11:43 pm)Drich Wrote:
(May 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm)FifthElement Wrote: And yet, plenty of believers interfere with this premise of yours by pluckin' lil' sprouts as soon as they spot that they might be "weeds", isn't that against the grand plan that ya all find so dear an sacred ? FSM Grin
I'm not so good with unexplained parables you're going to have to help me out here.

Seriously, you did not get that lil' sprouts are children who are punished if they do not conform to religious dogma ? Thinking
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
(May 29, 2013 at 10:58 am)Drich Wrote:

This is what happens when you either do not know what the bible says about this or ignore it.
We are not Children of God, not from birth anyway. (No one is born a child of God, we must A/S/K for that honor.) God created Adam, then from Adam Eve. We Are the offspring of those in whom He created.

Christ in Mat 13 Call us Seed:24 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

28 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

29 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

So you see we are seed some God planted, and others were planted by God's enemy. Some grow into wheat, and other's weeds. What gardner does not hate weeds? But as the parable says both are allowed to grow together till the harvest (Our death) then they will be seperated.

Only God know who is wheat and who is weed. We sometimes surround ourselves with so much weedieness we forget that at heart we have the potential to produce the wheat God is looking for. In the end Wheat is what God is looking for. Not everything that grows in the field is wheat.

Except crabgrass can't a/s/k to be a rose bush.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 546 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Cult leader encouraging his followers to starve to death. Rev. Rye 2 467 April 28, 2023 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1332 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How much influence does he have? zwanzig 32 3052 September 13, 2021 at 11:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1135 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Rainbow (He/Him/His) No penis, identifies as a male Nihilist Virus 25 1970 April 17, 2021 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5210 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 1985 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1693 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9141 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am