Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monsanto gives up fight for GM plants in Europe
Rainbow 
Monsanto gives up fight for GM plants in Europe
The world’s largest producer of seeds, Monsanto, has apparently given up on attempts to spread its genetically modified plant varieties in Europe. A German media report said the firm would end all lobbying for approval.

EU ♥
[Image: oie_24131128_CIMC84_Qv.jpg]
Sometimes I Pretend To Be Normal,But It Gets Boring. So I go Back to Being Me.
RE: Monsanto gives up fight for GM plants in Europe
Now that`s great news.

But since debate is focusing on achieving a free trade zone between the US and EU markets, I am pritty sure that the helpfull EU regulations on food production will fall or be rewriten to let the US export their cheap shit food, export to Europe.
Anyway, one doesnt find that much lobbying in European parlaments as one does in the US
(June 2, 2013 at 6:30 am)Just Chilling Wrote: The world’s largest producer of seeds, Monsanto, has apparently given up on attempts to spread its genetically modified plant varieties in Europe. A German media report said the firm would end all lobbying for approval.

EU ♥

A sad day for europe.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 2, 2013 at 7:37 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: A sad day for europe.

Why?
(June 2, 2013 at 7:38 am)The Germans are coming Wrote:

Why?

Because the US corporation won't have worlwide monopoly over what we eat.
(June 2, 2013 at 7:38 am)The Germans are coming Wrote:
Why?
Because GMO = GOOD, and Monsanto =/= EVIL.

Yes, some of the stuff Monsanto do is questionable, but their science is not. Indeed, some of the stuff people claim Monsanto do or have done is complete bullshit anyway, like suing people who have Monsanto seeds cross-pollinate with regular non-GMO seeds because the Monsanto seeds blew across into their fields.

Also, Just Chilling's last thread about Monsanto linked to a source which quoted Natural News...positively. IMO, he's a conspiracy theorist who lacks basic critical thinking skills.
Harm to biodiversity via geneticaly supirior crops?

Production methods violating European laws?
(June 2, 2013 at 7:55 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: Harm to biodiversity via geneticaly supirior crops?

Production methods violating European laws?
Their crops are genetically superior in the fact that they resist pesticides. Pesticides are already used in farms, but I'm glad you seem to care about the population of pests more than feeding people.

What production methods do you mean? The actual genetic modification? Then its EU laws that should change. There is nothing wrong with genetically modifying things; we've been doing it for millennia without realising it. The Monsanto methods just speed up the process.
(June 2, 2013 at 8:01 am)Tiberius Wrote: Their crops are genetically superior in the fact that they resist pesticides. Pesticides are already used in farms, but I'm glad you seem to care about the population of pests more than feeding people.

Is there currently a famin in Europe? Am I missing something?

I actualy heared the argument that geneticaly supirior plants distroy biodiversity on a episode of QI, since this is my source, I cannot say if Stephen Fry was correct or not.

Quote:What production methods do you mean? The actual genetic modification? Then its EU laws that should change. There is nothing wrong with genetically modifying things; we've been doing it for millennia without realising it. The Monsanto methods just speed up the process.

Washing seeds, meat and vegetables with chlorine for example.
Almoust all major food factories in the US do that, and it is illegal here.
(June 2, 2013 at 8:05 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: Is there currently a famin in Europe? Am I missing something?
No...but crops getting destroyed by pests is a bad thing for the farmer. Besides, there are countries with famines outside of Europe that we trade with...

Quote:I actualy heared the argument that geneticaly supirior plants distroy biodiversity on a episode of QI, since this is my source, I cannot say if Stephen Fry was correct or not.
Well without a proper source I can't really comment. What biodiversity did they mean, etc.? Monsanto provide a very specific pesticide for a type of pest, and a seed which is resistant to the pesticide.

Quote:Washing seeds, meat and vegetables with chlorine for example.
Almoust all major food factories in the US do that, and it is illegal here.
Without a source that Monsanto does this, and that they were planning to do it in Europe, I'm not sure what your point is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 594 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Russia is Europe. Kyiv and Moscow should be in the European Union Interaktive 53 4680 December 14, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Eastern Europe is richer than Russia. Victory Interaktive 4 360 January 14, 2021 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 285 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3314 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Farm Bill Food Fight The Grand Nudger 20 3634 May 15, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Bringing A Knife To A Gun Fight Minimalist 23 1862 November 4, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The WLB loses Another Court Fight Minimalist 0 585 May 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is the situation in Europe really this bad? ignoramus 16 2847 December 24, 2016 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  When Blonds Fight! Minimalist 0 427 September 29, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist