Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capitalism: Is it Working?
Capitalism: Is it Working?
Many countries in the world today practice capitalism. Hell, even Communist China has a capitalist economy.

My question to you is: do you think capitalism is the best and most beneficial form of economic system? Does capitalism help, in itself, solve our economic problems? It has many pros and cons. It's a very volatile system. It can be downright unpredictable.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Capitalism: Is it Working?
It works.

It`s just a car with a motor made in Spain and autobody made in Russia and been driven by a drunk Italian.
Capitalism works best for most sectors of the economy. But certain sectors, in particular infrastructure, education and health, need more active participation from the government , while the banking system needs tight government supervision/oversight.
The term is soooo general.

When looking how many different aspects a nations economy has it is difficult to make a generalising statement on how it all should work.
Capitalism works. What most countries have is not capitalism, it is corporatism, where corporations have a lot of control over the government and pass laws to help themselves. Capitalism can be seen as the separation of the market from the state. In other words, the government does not pass laws that help individual corporations, and leaves the market to largely regulate itself.
When you're looking at things being produced such as nuts & bolts, aluminum siding, or a pair of shoes, capitalism (unhampered by cartels or monopolies or stifling regulations) is the best way to go. But when it comes to my health, I don't know if a can trust a bunch of people with profits on their mind.
(June 2, 2013 at 2:22 pm)little_monkey Wrote: When you're looking at things being produced such as nuts & bolts, aluminum siding, or a pair of shoes, capitalism (unhampered by cartels or monopolies or stifling regulations) is the best way to go. But when it comes to my health, I don't know if a can trust a bunch of people with profits on their mind.

I`d say everything that is considered to be a human right shouldnt be provided through private buisness alone.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/05/o...d-markets/

An interesting article about how free markets seemingly erode otherwise moral behavior.

an excerpt:
Quote:A market for ethics

How can a marketplace have such a profound effect on people's decisions? The authors note that there are a number of factors likely at play. To begin with, it takes two people to agree to a deal that ends up with a dead mouse, and that may be viewed as distributing the responsibility to an extent. The mere existence of a market structure also helps normalize the decision in people's minds, suggesting that the situation is socially acceptable. Finally, the structure of a market displaces people's reasoning, shifting it from the life or death of a mouse to a competition over the particulars of a deal and awareness of the deals that others are cutting.

Based on http://www.sciencemag.org/content/340/6133/707 (requires subscription)

(June 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Capitalism works. What most countries have is not capitalism, it is corporatism, where corporations have a lot of control over the government and pass laws to help themselves. Capitalism can be seen as the separation of the market from the state. In other words, the government does not pass laws that help individual corporations, and leaves the market to largely regulate itself.
This.

I also think that lobbyism skews the political arena by corporate interest groups.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
I think, that like any tool, capitalism can be applied to provide leverage in a specific task - but again like any tool, not all tasks are suited to it. Pound a nail with a hammer, turn a bolt with a wrench. We could point to places in which capitalism appears to work very well (and we'd have to reference the goal we were shooting for) - and we could also point to examples where it doesn't (again referencing a specific goal). Wouldn't that be the most neutral way of approaching the subject, rather than assuming a position of absolutes on either end "capitalism works/doesn't work"? Lobbying, btw... is just capitalism - in government - in action folks.....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Capitalism is a mixed bag... It doesn't belong in certain arenas and has way too much influence. I think Tiberius is spot on in pointing out capitalism vs. corporatism. Corporations aren't people and shouldn't be considered such under the law.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video "Capitalism" is Magic! Sal 0 224 April 5, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Death by capitalism (the meme thread) Foxaèr 40 3539 November 1, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  It's What You Get For Working For The WLB Minimalist 1 727 June 22, 2017 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Pyongyang/Why capitalism isn't a form of gov. Brian37 29 2631 April 19, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump won the white working-man vote.. Jehanne 313 45055 November 21, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  I think I'm working for the Republicans TaraJo 25 4220 March 30, 2014 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Lek
  "Philosopher Renata Salecl: 'Capitalism Is Humanity's Neurosis'" Something completely different 31 8452 July 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Ah Capitalism..... Minimalist 0 993 June 25, 2013 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Destroyed by Total Capitalism Something completely different 10 3884 November 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  ALL HAIL CAPITALISM reverendjeremiah 42 15438 March 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah