Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science confirms the Bible?
Science confirms the Bible?
[Image: 222023_original.jpg]

I saw this same image on my facebook news feed posted by someone that I hardly talk to now.

this just seems too backwards for words.

anyone have any comments on this?
Re: Science confirms the Bible?
What the fuck was "Science Then"?
RE: Science confirms the Bible?
"Anachronistic" is the word for this. "Science then?" What does that even mean? Photos like this, from either side, serve only to further obfuscate the conversation.

(June 4, 2013 at 10:58 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: What the fuck was "Science Then"?

We had exactly the same thought.(well, not "exactly") lol! Tongue
"I know what you are thinking about,' said Tweedledum: 'but it isn't so, nohow.'

'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." ~Tweedledum and Tweedledee discussing the finer points of logic
Quote:anyone have any comments on this?

De-Friend him/her. Who needs morons around?
(June 4, 2013 at 10:52 pm)k2490 Wrote: anyone have any comments on this?

Just one. I prophesy Drich and/or G-C creaming all over that picture within the next ten comments.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Bah, humbug. That's a bit bendy over backward to make the Bible consonant with modern science. History shows that the semi-poetic language of the Bible can be twisted to say just about anything---such as black people are the damned offspring of Ham. Read those actual Bible verses, and I highly suspect you'll find they don't say precisely what the person who constructed this chart claims they do.

Science "Then" is when? Eratosthenes demonstrated a round earth and Aristarchus theorized a heliocentric model of the solar system that had nothing to do with the earth being supported on the back of anything---in the 3rd century BC.

One question might be, if indeed the Bible (and whoever devised this chart) finds itself so much in agreement with modern science, then isn't it time to embrace other scientific realities, such as evolution?
- C. Neron
Taking these claims one at a time...

"The Bible said the earth was round" Is 40:22.

FAIL!

Quote:Isaiah 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Tents have flat floors. That's the way they work. Also, Circle =/= sphere. This verse says the earth is a flat circle with the sky stretching out around it like the curtain of a tent.

"The Bible says there are an incalculable number of stars" Jer 33:22

DUBIOUS!

Quote:Jeremiah 33:22 As the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured: so will I multiply the seed of David my servant, and the Levites that minister unto me.

Host of Heaven = angels. Interpreting it as "stars" is a questionable interpretation. Additionally, I'd like to know where they got their facts that people believed there were 1,100 stars. It is possible ancient Hebrew society looked up in the sky and concluded there were too many to count. Certainly the author in his use of poetic license could have simply meant the stars, if indeed stars were his intended term, were too numerous to count. This is hardly earth-shattering.

"The Bible says the earth floated in space while conventional wisdom at the time said it sat on an animal" Job 26:7

HALF-TRUTH

It is true that the verse says the world hangs upon nothing. It is also true that the Bible in numerous other places says the world rests upon pillars (1 Sam 2:8). So conventional wisdom of the time was not entirely settled on the "resting on an animal". Apparently the authors of the OT thought it rested on pillars. In any event, a divine inspiration would not have the reference to pillars.

"The Bible says things are made of invisible elements" Heb 11:3

WTF?

Quote:Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

This follows that faith is the conviction of things not seen. That these invisible things = atoms is a stretch. This seems like a post hoc interpretation heavily influenced by confirmation bias.

"The Bible says each star is different" 1 Cor 15:41

FAIL!

Quote:1 Cor 15:41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

This verse points out how the sun shines brighter than the moon which shine brighter than the stars and some stars are brighter than others. This is something ancient people could clearly see in the night's sky.

(To be continued...)
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Doesn't matter, D-P. Drippy and G-C will always swear by their holy horseshit.
(June 4, 2013 at 11:17 pm)cneron Wrote: Science "Then" is when? Eratosthenes demonstrated a round earth and Aristarchus theorized a heliocentric model of the solar system that had nothing to do with the earth being supported on the back of anything---in the 3rd century BC.

Correct. And the church rejected heliocentrism (which the graphic fails to mention) for at least 20 centuries after the Greeks knew about it.
You'll never dissuade jesus freaks by recourse to facts.
They are impervious to them.

Facts run off them like water off a duck's ass.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43897 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11043 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7404 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Trust the Bible not Science Dolorian 34 7324 October 25, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Does science prove or disprove the bible Justtristo 8 9362 October 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Whose facts are more out of whack Science OR the Bible? Castle 43 14815 July 12, 2011 at 12:20 am
Last Post: Castle