Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backlash against Gay Marriage in Indiana
Backlash against Gay Marriage in Indiana
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politic...sex-felony
This is not a surprise, but that does not make it any the less disgusting.

Starting July 1 of next year, if same sex couples apply for a marriage license they will have committed a felony. You could get 18 mos. in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Same sex marriage is already illegal in Indiana, but there is a movement underway to put it into the state constitution as well. The vote for that will be held in the Jan-Mar 2014 session. Banghead
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

RE: Backlash against Gay Marriage in Indiana
Ignoring the point about civil rights, why is this law even necessary? If same-sex marriage isn't legal in Indiana, why would any same-sex couple be applying for a marriage license there anyway? It would be a bit like me (a Brit) applying for a semi-automatic machine gun license.
Funny that it's a felony offense ROFLOL

Indiana, giving dem other states ideas.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The republicunts love to hammer a point over and over because many of their most ardent members have alzheimers and forget quickly. Oddly, it is exactly this type of law which will force the supreme court to rule on the constitutionality of these assorted statewide bans.
(July 12, 2013 at 7:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The republicunts love to hammer a point over and over because many of their most ardent members have alzheimers and forget quickly. Oddly, it is exactly this type of law which will force the supreme court to rule on the constitutionality of these assorted statewide bans.

That's precisely what I'm hoping for. I would not be surprised if some LGBT strategist's weren't mumbling "thank you, redneck morons" or some such under their breaths when they heard about this.
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

True story:

Just today my 74 year old mother-in-law says "had I known J (my wife's brother-in-law) was from Indiana I would have never let your sister marry him."

My wife and I both looked at her quizzically and asked what does Indiana have to do with anything?

Without missing a beat she replies

"Everyone I've ever met from Indiana turned out to be an asshole".
"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
(July 12, 2013 at 9:03 pm)Full Circle Wrote: True story:

Just today my 74 year old mother-in-law says "had I known J (my wife's brother-in-law) was from Indiana I would have never let your sister marry him."

My wife and I both looked at her quizzically and asked what does Indiana have to do with anything?

Without missing a beat she replies

"Everyone I've ever met from Indiana turned out to be an asshole".

It seems that the only difference between Texas and Indiana is that Rahul does not live in Indiana.

Angel
I like to agree to disagree in so many things, and I am very accepting of diversity even when it comes to beliefs.

But, why do people care so much about what other people do with their lives? Why do they care about who people love and choose to live the rest of their lives with? If it's because of religion and they think God hates homosexuals, well, why can't they just allow people to condemn themselves? Turn it around and say in the future we prohibited heterosexual marriages. Why would we do that? Who cares what other people do with themselves? I just don't get it.

So, going along with the ridiculousness of not minding our own business, I have come up with equally ridiculous laws applying punishment to things I find displeasing, simply because I'm a bitch like that. Behold. Ahem (clears throat)

1. If a woman pees standing up, she must pay a fine of $500.
2. If you hate bacon, insult bacon, reject bacon, or are found wasting bacon (including bacon bits), you must complete 32 hours of community service and pay a fine of $666.
3. If you constantly publish pictures of your lunch on facebook, your account will be blocked for three months and you will have to pay a fine of $69.
4. If you marry a man, and you are a woman, or if you marry a woman, and you're a man, or if you are neither man or woman and you marry a man or a woman, or if you have genitals of both sexes and marry a man or a woman or a person who is neither a man or a woman, you will pay a 10% tax fee from your yearly earnings to the LGBTQ population for having greater rights. (worded confusingly on purpose)

Angry
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Fucking Indiana, man. I had no idea they were so religious and conservative until my parents moved there. There's a over a dozen religious channels and a mega-church on every corner.

Indiana is a cancerous growth protruding from the bible belt.
Quote:But, why do people care so much about what other people do with their lives?

Because the Big Book of Pious Horseshit tells them to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1147 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Scott Morrison: Australia PM faces backlash over 'blessed' disability remark Duty 11 771 April 22, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 524 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1538 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1543 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, do you support same-sex marriage? TristanTeller 72 15595 July 31, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Your views on MARRIAGE Catholic_Lady 213 34987 July 12, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  GOP to unveil bill to stop affirmation of same-sex marriage Foxaèr 10 3218 April 23, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Indiana's Govenor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill Faith No More 211 38411 April 15, 2015 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Supreme Court to decide on marriage equality Ryantology 21 3750 January 17, 2015 at 1:38 am
Last Post: vorlon13