Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are the best Atheistic Arguments?
What are the best Atheistic Arguments?
I'm 16, and in school, so I can't get on due to all the homework lately. Also, I'm in school, surrounded by a melting pot of religions! Occasionally I'm asked which of the thousands I am. I reply by saying, "I'm an Atheist." They say, "What?! you don't believe in God?!?Angry"

So I ask you fellow Atheists, what do you think is the best Atheistic argument(s)? Big Grin
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
RE: What are the best Atheistic Arguments?
I think the best is to maintain your agnostic position and say that there is simply no evidence that any god exists. They will probably counter by saying that you can't disprove god and you can then say there is no way to prove a negative.

Rhizo
Countering you by saying you can't disprove god is one of the weakest Theistic arguments as leo mentioned in a similar thread. You can always say that the burden of proof falls upon them and not you because they are the one making the claim in the first place.

It's handy to know about the argument over causation that many Theists use when claiming god creating the world..etc..
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
I only learned about the burden of proof from this website, like much of my philosophical knowledge. Usually I only pursue knowledge that has a direct application to things going on in my life i.e. NW guide to mushrooms, theory of games and economic behavior, the Bible, the Necronomicon, the Satanic Bible, or even the Witches Bible. It never occured to me to seek out philosophical knowledge directly I mostly dealt with theology, metaphysics, or practical guides. I've read tons of fiction too.

Rhizo
I have learnt a lot from this forum as well. I've also started reading up quite a bit since I joined this forum. Very positive encouragement. Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
1. There's no evidence for God. Or rather, if there is, I don't know of any...Unless you can enlighten me...

2. Why is God required for an explanation for the universe but then God doesn't require one himself? If God doesn't need an explanation, then why does the universe need one? And isn't something like the Big Bang singularity far less complex and more probable?

3. For God to create a universe, he is more complex than the universe or he wouldn't be able to create it from scratch, and exist in the first place all without explanation - it's absurd.

4. The universe without God, is less complex and more probable than the universe + God until God is evidenced. Hence we're back to point '1.'.

5. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and God is, indeed, an extraordinary claim.

EvF
I think pointing out contradictions, inconsistencies, evil deeds done because of religion, absurdities of beliefs, (i.e. Christopher Hitchen's approach) is a good way to go.

It's also important to recognize where your strength in debating lies. What topics do you know best? What convinced you?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(September 23, 2009 at 11:02 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:

Thank you all! I've known of many arguments, but I just needed something more potent to really stick it to them! I really like #2 and #5, 5 is one of my favorite quotes (as you may have seen!)

let FSM Grin be with you! (lol jk)
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
(September 23, 2009 at 11:02 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: 2. Why is God required for an explanation for the universe but then God doesn't require one himself? If God doesn't need an explanation, then why does the universe need one? And isn't something like the Big Bang singularity far less complex and more probable?

If the universe doesn't need an explanation, then why does anything need an explanation? - That IS a really good one.
According to my worldview nothing needs an explaination. If there is an explaination then mores to the good. I would rather have a working, provable explaination based on evidence than resort to faith. I do understand how comforting the easy answer is though.

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10737 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Satirical logic for the atheistic mind Drich 158 18058 June 13, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16225 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22143 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8637 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12616 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 16139 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Q about arguments for God's existence. Mudhammam 579 147415 October 25, 2016 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Stupid arguments for God The Atheist 16 3662 March 25, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Arguments against Deism and for religion. Mystic 32 12632 March 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger