Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Q about arguments for God's existence.
Why are they all so fucking illogical and idiotic? Moreover, why are so many people dumb enough to be "persuaded" by them?
RE: Q about arguments for God's existence.
Probably because they're completely misguided before they're even made - how can someone argue for the existence of an impossibility? If there was even a scrap of real, compelling evidence, literally anything at all, there would be no need to invent any of these pathetic 'logical' conundra. Basically it's all they've got; and like the man said, if you can't fight, wear a big hat. They have to make themselves and their 'proofs' far bigger and more impressive-sounding than they really are, so as to disguise the sad reality that all they have is essentially a piece of paper with the word “God“ on it.

As for why anyone could find that stuff remotely convincing, bear in mind the Barnum Principle. Sometimes, people have such a desperate need to be convinced about things they already believe that they will grab hold of any passing straw - even one made out of hot air and wishful thinking.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
If I want to discover a new species of fish I go and look in the sea, and take a physical specimen, or at least a photo.

I don't come up with a logical proof that said fish exists.
(June 8, 2014 at 12:34 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Why are they all so fucking illogical and idiotic? Moreover, why are so many people dumb enough to be "persuaded" by them?

Because "feels good man." These arguments only pursuade those who believe and are looking for an excuse to rationalize, and call if a "reasonable" belief.
It's sad. Humans have a privilege unlike any other species to analyze their surroundings and actually understand it. Yet they squander it on faith-based nonsense by putting all of their marbles in a basket that doesn't even really exist. And we're talking about BILLIONS of people. No wonder mankind's future is so fucked. The more I experience the world, the more hopeless I feel about it.
I think it's probably part of life in the echo chamber. If everybody is telling you how good you are you tend to believe them. The same with arguments. If all you're exposed to are the good points, and don't grapple with the criticisms, you'll have a tendency to think the arguments are strong.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm)rasetsu Wrote: I think it's probably part of life in the echo chamber. If everybody is telling you how good you are you tend to believe them. The same with arguments. If all you're exposed to are the good points, and don't grapple with the criticisms, you'll have a tendency to think the arguments are strong.

Very true. But once a person is old enough to experience the world on their own, say by about the age of 17, wtf is their excuse then? Laziness?
[Image: e7yqa7ug.jpg]
Sye Bruggencate is a tool. That's my presupposition, by the way, not an insult. It's also an insult.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 8, 2014 at 1:28 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Sye Bruggencate is a tool. That's my presupposition, by the way, not an insult. It's also an insult.

But how do you know that? Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4088 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10796 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1867 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3275 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6890 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14137 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16404 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22191 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8643 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  What self-subsists, maximum or minimal existence? Mystic 19 2163 March 16, 2017 at 2:51 am
Last Post: masterofpuppets