Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Introduction to Moral Philosophy
Good Introduction to Moral Philosophy
I've been into philosophy since this January, but my knowledge of moral philosophy is still much lower than I'd like. Do any of you know of a good introduction to ethics?
RE: Good Introduction to Moral Philosophy
(July 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I've been into philosophy since this January, but my knowledge of moral philosophy is still much lower than I'd like. Do any of you know of a good introduction to ethics?

I suggest you approach it like you would any school project. Google its definition, look it up on Wikipedia and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Start with the basics - figure out what morality is and what is it needed for. Then move on to different moral philosophies out there and how they relate to other branches of philosophy.

I would caution against simply finding a book on "introduction to ethics" and going with it. Such books usually advocate for a particular moral philosophy, whereas studying all the other views out there comprehensively would allow you to form your own views on the subject.
Thanks. I know and have done some of the things you mentioned. I did intend to get a book on the subject, but my local library doesn't have any. *sigh* I didn't think about that problem, thanks (again). Smile
(July 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I've been into philosophy since this January, but my knowledge of moral philosophy is still much lower than I'd like. Do any of you know of a good introduction to ethics?

Probably the best intros to ethics are:

The Fundamentals of Ethics by Russ Shafer Landau

The Elements of Moral Philosophy by James Rachels

Both works introduce you to normative moral theories and metaethical moral theories. But in my view it is best to get a good grounding in metaethics before doing normative ethics. And I think the best intro to metaethics is Ethical Intuitionism by Michael Huemer. It is misguided, but good.
Something you may be interested in is the online classes at Harvard on Justice, they deal with moral philosophy quite a bit in an accessible way. http://www.justiceharvard.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 4876 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1292 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3345 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1531 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 12779 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6403 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6574 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3088 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 11786 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3607 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V