Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hippie philosophy
Hippie philosophy
"I live, man."

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Hippie philosophy
LSD - also known as playing Russian Roulette with your mental health.
Did you hear about the hippie who took LSD, Spanish fly and strychnine all at the same time?

If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(January 20, 2023 at 3:01 pm)Duty Wrote: LSD - also known as playing Russian Roulette with your mental health.

Actually, LSD users tend to have a lower incidence of mental health problems than both non-drug users and users of other psychotropic drugs.

In fact, you’re much more likely to develop mental health issues from a divorce, the death of someone close to you, or job stress than you are from dropping acid.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 20, 2023 at 2:51 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: "I live, man."

"The dude abides."
"Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture,  an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads."

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see."
(January 20, 2023 at 4:32 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 20, 2023 at 3:01 pm)Duty Wrote: LSD - also known as playing Russian Roulette with your mental health.

Actually, LSD users tend to have a lower incidence of mental health problems than both non-drug users and users of other psychotropic drugs.

In fact, you’re much more likely to develop mental health issues from a divorce, the death of someone close to you, or job stress than you are from dropping acid.

Boru

I myself have been severely fucked up through the use of hallucinogenic drugs, as has a close friend (I'm talking about fucked up decades here and the traces remain). I am aware that the plural of anecdote is not evidence, but there we have it - just calling it how I see it.
I might add that the term "acid casualty" is in common parlance.
(January 20, 2023 at 4:32 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

I assume you have read these things in peer reviewed/scrutinised scientific studies? Might I request citations? Or perhaps things don't roll like that round these parts Dunno
(January 20, 2023 at 6:46 pm)Duty Wrote:
(January 20, 2023 at 4:32 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Actually, LSD users tend to have a lower incidence of mental health problems than both non-drug users and users of other psychotropic drugs.

Boru

I assume you have read these things in peer reviewed/scrutinised scientific studies? Might I request citations? Or perhaps things don't roll like that round these parts Dunno

What do you have to back up your statement?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Which statement AWTY? Where I said myself and my close friend are/were acid casualties? Just my word, which I do not trade lightly, especially RE this issue, personal as it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5293 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1424 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3598 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12996 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2633 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4929 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8238 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12012 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2266 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's the point of philosophy any more? I_am_not_mafia 167 26474 March 29, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: stretch3172