Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophy Recommendations
Philosophy Recommendations
I have only recently fully embraced my atheism and have only been on this forum for about a month.  I have explored the holy writings of most of the major religions but I haven't spent much time studying philosophy.  

I have begun watching some youtube videos on Stoicism. The quotes and teachings feel like they fit pretty well.  I haven't really found anything yet that I find objectionable and much of it seems to conform with how I tend to already try to live. 

As someone who hasn't done much studying of secular philosophy, I am looking for recommendations of people, books, sites, etc. to look into.  

Where should I start? Who are some of your favorite philosophers, sites, books, etc.?

I am sure this has been discussed before but I didn't see any recent Threads.  

Thanks!
RE: Philosophy Recommendations
Some of my favorite philosophers: (your mileage may vary for most of these, especially the last one.)

* Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius
* Aristotle
* Hume
* Schopenhauer
* Dostoevsky (technically a novelist, but close enough for most purposes.)
* Nietzsche
* Bertrand Russell
* Cioran
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I do not know if he ever identified as a philosopher, but Robert Green Ingersoll.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 3, 2023 at 12:36 am)Harry Haller Wrote: I have only recently fully embraced my atheism and have only been on this forum for about a month.  I have explored the holy writings of most of the major religions but I haven't spent much time studying philosophy.  

I have begun watching some youtube videos on Stoicism. The quotes and teachings feel like they fit pretty well.  I haven't really found anything yet that I find objectionable and much of it seems to conform with how I tend to already try to live. 

As someone who hasn't done much studying of secular philosophy, I am looking for recommendations of people, books, sites, etc. to look into.  

Where should I start? Who are some of your favorite philosophers, sites, books, etc.?

I am sure this has been discussed before but I didn't see any recent Threads.  

Thanks!

A.N. Whitehead famously said that all Western philosophy is just footnotes to Plato. If you're planning to get deeply into philosophy, it makes sense to read the source. Plato's Symposium and Phaedrus are good to start with. The Jowett translations are free on line but maybe the more recent translations by Waterfield are better for us 21st century people. 

One of the main questions of philosophy is "What is it like to be a good person?" For that issue, the foundational text is Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics. Translations of this one vary widely, but I've found David Ross's version to be clearest. 

There are a lot of things in the above books which you will probably disagree with. Working out the differences in what they thought from what modern people think helps to make our own assumptions clear to us. The last thing you'd want to do is rummage around in philosophy books looking for quotes that support your current ideas. 

A lot of atheists have only ever heard of an oversimplified, Sunday School version of Christian theology. To understand better the grownup's version of what you're rejecting, you can read Scholastic Metaphysics by Edward Feser and The Metaphysics of Dante's Comedy by Christian Moevs. 

In reading older philosophy, there is a constant danger of interpreting things too much through a modern lens. A Secular Age by Charles Taylor is a clear history of how our whole worldview differs from earlier ages in Europe, and how that affects all of our thinking.

Good luck to you!
I find that it's more useful to study philosophers than philosophy. That said:

Joseph Fletcher
Auguste Comte
George Holyoake
Jeremy Bentham
Noam Chomsky
AC Grayling

Plenty more.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
https://plato.stanford.edu/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
There's some good philosophy on YouTube.
Don't bother.
(December 3, 2023 at 3:21 am)Belacqua Wrote: A lot of atheists have only ever heard of an oversimplified, Sunday School version of Christian theology. To understand better the grownup's version of what you're rejecting, you can read Scholastic Metaphysics by Edward Feser and The Metaphysics of Dante's Comedy by Christian Moevs. 

Wait, but you said that you are not a Christian, so what exactly is the point of atheists reading these Christian philosophers that you recommend? So that we see that we are right because they did not even persuade you.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Religion produces nothing so it claims everything in lieu of actual value.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5304 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3599 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1605 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13004 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2635 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4932 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8250 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12016 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2267 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's the point of philosophy any more? I_am_not_mafia 167 26492 March 29, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: stretch3172