Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam and Eve Saved the Environment
Adam and Eve Saved the Environment
In a previous thread, I pointed out that, if we are intelligently designed, then God did a very bad job of designing us; given that human bodies are largely imperfect. Here is an excellent response from a fellow user:

Christians just say that such defects are a result of sin entering the world. Adam and Eve were originally basically superman who never felt pain and couldn't die. When they bit the wrong fruit, their bodies could feel pain and they could now get old and die.

So, in the bible, sin is presumably a bad thing. Adam and Eve supposedly made us human (susceptible to disease and death) when they ate the fruit off the tree of knowledge, thus sinning, and made mortal humans into the flawed, imperfect organisms that they are today.

Well, my friends, it is an incisive, scientific fact that the earth's carrying capacity is limited. This is especially true in today's ongoing industrial revolution, in which people are using insane amounts of energy heating and lighting their homes, surfing Facebook, and belching carbon monoxide from their vehicle's tail pipes. Eventually, certain aging sectors of the population must die out in order for younger, newly-developed sectors to grow.

So let us assume that Adam and Eve did not eat that apple off the sacred Tree of Knowledge and plunge humanity into a sinful world where everyone died. That would be disastrous for the environment, as this uproarious video satirizes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_a6RjR_AHY

So, Adam and Eve, I am forever in your debt. You saved the environment.

Great
RE: Adam and Eve Saved the Environment
That's silly. Adam and Eve didn't even realize they were naked before they ate the fruit. I doubt they had sex before everything went down and they were kicked out of Eden. There'd still only be the two of them to this day.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
That's the very reason I've always thought the Adam & Eve story was stupid. For an all-knowing deity, God sure fucks up when he puts the Tree of Knowledge in the middle of the Garden of Eden and then tells Adam & Eve not to eat from it. Either that or he intended for it to happen, which makes the idea of him getting angry at all humanity (and the serpent) pretty silly.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I don't think you understand the full extent to which Christians will resort to magic to explain away any problems that occur with their worldview.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I was in my teens when I first heard of that story. For some reasons it seems that catholics dont like it or are aware of it`s sillynes or simply dont want to show it to children.
(July 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I don't think you understand the full extent to which Christians will resort to magic to explain away any problems that occur with their worldview.

I understand it perfectly. I've been there myself. Oh how I sometimes wish I wasn't raised religious...
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
This video will give you an idea of the absurd lengths creationists will go to attempt to reconcile the garden of eden with reality.

My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
The question of filling up the Earth isn't that hard for Christians to deal with, IMO. God told humans to fill the Earth, so it can be assumed that he had some plan for what to do at that point. When I was a believer, I liked the idea that we'd be using our perfect brains (JWs believe the whole "we only use a tiny fraction of our potential" bit) to build space ships and terraforming equipment. Heck, would we even need that stuff? Maybe god would teach us how to build little portable wormhole generators. Earth too full? =click= 'Sup, Andromeda Galaxy!!! What, space is hostile to human life? *pray pray pray pray* Not anymore!

You have to understand just how comforting it is to have an easy answer to any question. A magical titan who can wish universes into existence with a snap of his fingers can solve pretty much any conundrum.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(July 25, 2013 at 4:53 pm)Rahul Wrote: That's silly. Adam and Eve didn't even realize they were naked before they ate the fruit. I doubt they had sex before everything went down and they were kicked out of Eden. There'd still only be the two of them to this day.

Oh, they still would have had sex whether or not Mr. Head Honcho threw them out of Eden. Think about it: naked guy with a gorgeous naked woman. Adam would either have to use a great, great deal of will power, or he would have to be gay.
(July 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote: Oh, they still would have had sex whether or not Mr. Head Honcho threw them out of Eden. Think about it: naked guy with a gorgeous naked woman. Adam would either have to use a great, great deal of will power, or he would have to be gay.

They ate from the tree of knowledge, dude. I was raised Christian. Don't play this game with my emanicipated rearend on this game, Free Born. Smile

No. They didn't even understand what nakedness or lust was. You can't project your "sinful" desires on Adam and Eve before they ate of the fruit.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adam's Sin -- Independence and Revellion InteresedUser 24 8355 May 27, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: chimp3
  An Old Idea I Had About The (Hebrew) Word "Adam" (relates to Quran also) ReptilianPeon 1 1452 February 5, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  A Penny Saved BrokenQuill92 23 3040 March 29, 2014 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  'Saved' from Myself freedomfromforum 17 3669 November 14, 2013 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
Photo Eve & Adam.....!!! HUMAN BRAIN 4 1823 October 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Speaking of a 930 year old Adam popeyespappy 3 2109 November 28, 2012 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I am saved! Paul the Human 17 4167 April 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Were Adam and Eve slaves? IATIA 8 7361 November 16, 2011 at 11:40 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding
  Can Religion Be Saved? FadingW 4 3136 September 18, 2010 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ethics without God ? - Canada by Adam Deen hak2000 1 1459 April 14, 2009 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc