Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Religion Be Saved?
Can Religion Be Saved?
If no gods exist, then the inescapable conclusion is that all the doings of religion are caused by human beings and so human beings are responsible for whatever is justified under the banner of religion.

Therefore as a human institution, is not religion itself subject to correction? It is said that man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath made for man. In the same vein, if it is a dream of humanity for utopia, the perfect society, is it an impossibility to dream of paradise, a perfect religion?

Can religion be improved? Or is it's very nature, blind reliance on questionable authority, self crippling?

If humanity is to survive, it could be argued that religion must be made to serve and uphold the betterment of humanity.
"People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers." - Mythology for Profit
RE: Can Religion Be Saved?
Religion was an invention of man because of not knowing how to properly explain things. Genesis of the Bible was a story written by men who wanted to explain how things got to be. Of course, people back then didn't have the proper knowledge to correctly describe and understand things, so they had to put out silly explanations. And it's not just for Christianity, it's the same for all other religions. Of course, if people keep believing in that stuff, it will never go away, but it will sooner or later die off because if you look at history,nearly everyone in the planet back then had a religion. But now, about 1.4~ billion are of the non-religious type. Religion can be saved, but sooner or later, they won't be able to keep up with even newer scientific discoveries, which have caused some to turn from religion because of weird ways of keeping up with those discoveries.
If your question / main point of this post is: Either way, can't religion be improved and changed for the better?

The answer is yes... But why would you even call it a religion after you change anything? Or rather, why would you follow it... or even dismiss the notion of the faith you believe in, but still want to be under the guise of it?

This is like me claiming I'm a Christian right now, at this very moment. You know, the only things that are different is that I don't believe that the god, or any gods exist. And of course, I don't follow the bible because I think most of the things in it are horrid and dangerous... and of course, I don't follow what my fellow Christians do, because I don't believe it's right. I've totally improved Christianity for the better!

...Oh wait, I just pretty much described someone who isn't Christian. So why would I go under the guise of one?

Makes no sense.

Religion can certainly be improved... by getting rid of it completely.

You have to understand... Most people follow a religion not because they choose to, or they think it's right (although some people may believe it is,) but because they honestly BELIEVE that if they stray from it, it would feel wrong, or they'd feel tainted, and evil, and don't want to risk it.

Religion is based on a certain mindset, and fear. Changing an entire religion would feel "wrong" to such a mindset. You'd know that "God" or "Jesus" etc, would be very displeased, and thus, you'll be punished. That's the VERY basis of religion.

Now, of course, don't get me wrong... Religion can be improved in minor ways... and has been, but that's where apologists and the line between "moderate" Christians, and those crazy, insanely strict Westborough Baptist Church nuts come into play. The WBC sticking "true" and literally taking the bible as how it was seen in past times.
I like the way you think!
...But please stop thinking, it's not you.
(September 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm)FadingW Wrote: If no gods exist, then the inescapable conclusion is that all the doings of religion are caused by human beings and so human beings are responsible for whatever is justified under the banner of religion.
Therefore as a human institution, is not religion itself subject to correction? It is said that man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath made for man. In the same vein, if it is a dream of humanity for utopia, the perfect society, is it an impossibility to dream of paradise, a perfect religion?
Can religion be improved? Or is it's very nature, blind reliance on questionable authority, self crippling?
If humanity is to survive, it could be argued that religion must be made to serve and uphold the betterment of humanity.
If you strip religion back, taking away its rituals, history (good, bad and indifferent), its art, its architecture, its philosophy, theology itself. You are left holding nothing but superstition, mysticism and spirituality and reduce it to the level of astrology and crystal healing. If you leave all those things in then you are left with the legacy of man made constructs and some totally inexplicable things. What then should religion do? I don't care, they are problems for religion. But to start with they should stop misleading people about afterlives, gods, what to eat, think, who to sleep with etc. These are all a tyranny of the mind!
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
Man is responsible for most of mankind's problems.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11167 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7570 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1850 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Can religion be a type of Stockholm syndrome? ignoramus 5 2751 June 10, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Lightbulb The 9 Catharses,questions that can destroy religion Anonymousq 15 3920 October 8, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10744 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4910 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19830 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5298 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why can't most Christians understand the need for separation of religion and govt? Mystical 30 5429 July 10, 2015 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus