Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polyphasic Sleep
Polyphasic Sleep
This has been of great interest to me lately and am planning on trying it out later this week. Polyphasic Sleep is where instead of getting all your sleep in one large block, it is broken down into smaller chunks, the sum of which is less than that of the consolidated block one would typically get in a night. In attempting to read up on the subject I have found many first hand accounts of success in attempting various polyphasic sleep schedules. However, I can find no studies carried out under reasonable experimental conditions to test the veracity of the claims. So I'm a little skeptical as to how accurate they are. As this site typically attracts skeptically minded individuates, I'm interested in the various opinions you all might have on the subject.

I'm at a point in my life where I am able to experiment with this sort of thing quite freely, So from next week, I'm thinking of trying what they call the everyman schedule. If I fail to adjust to the pattern then I will resume my normal sleeping pattern and little if any detrimental effects will occur to my studies. If I succeed, I will have much more time to work on my dissertation. Of course if any evidence is found that I will be seriously endangering my health then the experiment will be called off immediately.

If you want to read up on the subject, here is a link to its wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_Sleep

Thoughts?

EDIT: POST 200! XD
Hoi Zaeme.
RE: Polyphasic Sleep
Good luck with that. Big Grin
Thanks.

I really don't think this will work. A lot of the material for this stuff is on pro-newageist websites which are in favour of several things that are likely false.
Hoi Zaeme.
Sounds great. Can't wait to hear what you find out.

I seem to have natural sleep windows every 3 hours: at 1am, 4am, 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm when If tired I can more easily sleep than at other times. In fact if I'm really tired it's at these times I find it most difficult to stay awake.
I sleep the untroubled sleep of the just.
Do let us know of your progress in this thread. It does sound fascinating. Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
I've tried something like that when I was working continuous night shifts at the Philip Morris cigarette plant in Bergen op Zoom. I was always used to go to bed after my shift, get up at 14:00, and start working again at 23:00. For a while I thought I'd try going to bed at 09:00, sleep until 12:00, go back to bed at 19:00, go to work at 22:00 do my shift from 23:00 to 07:00.

I kept that up for a week and then I was exhausted. I need to sleep in one long block or I am a wreck.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Polyphasic sleep is nice when you have a large workload, i usually get 3-4 hrs in 2 blocks, but lately only one 3-4 hr block per day. Changing from monophasic sleep is the most dificult part, but thats why caffine pills are awsome.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

'Awesome'? More like 'Hugely detrimental to one's health'...

But enjoy that alarm-clock, rjh Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Detrimental in the future, but if you can't pay the bills, how detrimental do you suppose starving, or freezing will be?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Happy feetz can't sleep no one 2 293 May 20, 2021 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: no one
  Sleep deprived J a c k 20 1484 December 31, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How many pillows do you sleep with, how do you use them & which can't you do without? Whateverist 31 2237 September 29, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Joods
  Home sleep aids? Losty 40 3728 April 20, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  If you could remove your need for sleep, would you? Ashground 31 3801 November 12, 2015 at 6:08 am
Last Post: Reforged
  What position do you sleep in? Norman Humann 36 4920 March 10, 2015 at 12:05 am
Last Post: IATIA
Question Sleep Injuries... WTF? ShaMan 26 4093 June 17, 2014 at 7:56 am
Last Post: John V
  Sleep paralysis Marsellus Wallace 13 2967 March 2, 2014 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Mr. Moncrieff
  Do you sleep with the light on? frz 23 7384 April 20, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: JosephBowie
  Sleep OnlyNatural 21 4077 February 15, 2011 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet