Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell
Hell
I'm curious about this so I just thought I'd pose a question to our fellow christian AH members so I can have a better understanding.

Hell is a place sinners are sent to and can never return from correct? Hell is designed for eternal banishment and suffering, correct?

If your god created this place called hell, did he not believe in the rehabilitation of murderers, convicts and other types of sinners? Or were these people, to him, just a waste of time and only deserved to be destroyed?

In advance, I just want to say that I appreciate your insights, thanks.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
RE: Hell
My wife believes that there are different plains or regions in the afterlife.
There is no hell as such.
Sinners go to a lower plain and can then ascend to higher plains
as they become educated and cleansed of their sins etc.

All sounds daft to me but that's her belief and who am I to
argue with the wife? Cool Shades

Of course, we Atheists, being such good souls, will ascend
up to the highest plain immediately.
Albert.
"People are like black holes. They are self centred!"
"You are what was in your mother's genes and what was in your father's jeans!"
"If the Buck stops here, how can the Doe go all the way?"

(Albert's original quotes)
The taoists believe there are seven stages to hell, go figure.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Excellant, Retorth.

If it be alright with you I'd like to pose questions for our theist friends too.
Hell is a place of horrific immoral torture. It isn't a place of punishment because every punishment has an end to it. Hell is ment for torture only.

Now the question I pose is, who on this planet do you think is worthy to bare such horrific pain? Even Hitler wouldn't deserve that much. A few centuries maybe but not for eternity. Also do you think it's justified for people to be horrifically tortured for simply not believing in what you believe? Isn't torturing them a tad hasty? People who don't believe are quite often very moral and so do you think it's ok to torture them? It's like living a happy moral life and being hanged because you didn't worship the lord of the land. It's wrong and very immoral. So really if god allows this, he can't be all loving. "Everyone is forgiven"? Don't seem like it. I don't know, I guess the word "torture" and "eternity" kinda puts god and his all loving ways way out of sight doesn't it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
RE: HelL
I read this in another post where "Samson" quoted: "This part of your write up, stuck out the most, "GOING TO HELL"...

Keep in mind on something, Hell was nothing more than a mistranslated word from the Torah to the Christian Bible. (Grave to Hell) You can thank the church for changing that little tidbit. Funny thing, is that it wasn't until a "Jesus" that Hell was even part of the whole big play which came out of the N.T.. 

So it's a fictional place from a fictional book, written by man (many authors not known) and re-translated many a time. But then again if this place is real I guess I'll see you all there! Devil
To me, hell (if it existed) would not be a place, but a state of being, where you were on a nearly identical version of earty, except there were no consequenses for any of your actions. This sounds nice at first glance, but it would be horible; if you did something beneficial to society, you would get no credit, no recognition, and others would plagurize it and kick you away. If you so domething detrimental, like a crime, nothing happens to you. You would turn into a criminal, and watch yourself doing so. It would be fun at first to be able to rob a bank and have nobody come after you, but it would soon grow old, as your life would be meaningless and worthless.

It is not only one of the goals of a human, but one of the emotional necesitys, that our lifes have some kind of meaning to us, we all like to think we make some small difference; that is the point of not having consequenses, you would never be able to make a diference, you could do the actual work, but all of any credit would go to the nearest avalible person who would claim it. Even hardened criminals have this wanting to make some kind of difference on the earth, although not quite of the same nature as the rest of us, they want to be recognised for their crimes eventually, and that is why we catch them so easily. Even they who would never be recognized for their crimes would get infinitely frustrated with that situaton.

"It's like living a happy moral life and being hanged because you didn't worship the lord of the land"

Its like being hanged and not dying, just kicking and gurgling, and being left up on the gallows for eternity.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

The invention of hell just tells me (if it were a literal place) that God sure can hold a grudge. The biblical God in my view was, is, and always will be a tyrant. When I read the bible I don't see a loving God anywhere. All his love and good graces are contingent on you accepting by faith that he exists and then be willing to alter your life to live by his statutes. All atheists are damned to hell simply because we are too inquisitive.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Ace,

You got it WRONG! Hitler is having pineapples shoved up his ass daily while wearing a tutu. Smile

Rhizo
Little Nicky! I loved that movie lol.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(October 2, 2009 at 11:23 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Ace,

You got it WRONG! Hitler is having pineapples shoved up his ass daily while wearing a tutu. Smile

Rhizo

Rhizo,

You got it WRONG! You are thinking too small. Hitler is having water melons shoved up his arse daily whilst wearing both a thong and a tutu. Those things can often restrict the balls and boy does that feel uncomfortable. Not that I'd know about it.Angel
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 6996 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6766 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris