Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to be truly satisifed?
Is it possible to be truly satisifed?
At any given point in our lives, is it possible to be truly satisified with everything he or she has? Or will we always want more? As the saying goes, "If a man were given the world it would not be enough to fill his emptiness."
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Is it possible to be truly satisifed?
(June 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: At any given point in our lives, is it possible to be truly satisified with everything he or she has? Or will we always want more? As the saying goes, "If a man were given the world it would not be enough to fill his emptiness."

I have felt totally satisfied for short periods in my life.

But then the next gadget comes out that I MUST HAVE.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Personally I don't find satisfaction and wanting to better my lifestyle contradictory. I can be satisfied at the moment, but have goals or wants that don't detract from my current contentment.
You can only be satisfied is You can accept the past. Leave no regrets.
I used to think that when I made $10/hour I would be happy. I now make almost twice that and think if I made a bit more I would be even happier.

Life is a treadmill and it seems no matter where you fall in any continuum there are people far worse and far better off than you, and you probably wish you were doing better no matter where you are in that continuum, but you are probably fairly happy if that is your bent. This is, of course, assuming that you have met the first two levels on Maslow's hierarchy of needs!

The treadmill is called the Hedonic Treadmill"
Quote:The hedonic treadmill, also known as hedonic adaptation, is the supposed tendency of humans to quickly return to a relatively stable level of happiness despite major positive or negative events or life changes.[1] According to this theory, as a person makes more money, expectations and desires rise in tandem, which results in no permanent gain in happiness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill
I think it's possible to be truly satisfied at certain moments, but as Rhizo pointed out, it's fleeting.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Give me an hour with this....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4gB-zPioM3hKqh7fIxJn...NvMjsk2sJx]

and I'll let you know.
It will all end the same as with any other women.

Blort!
Sometimes you have to put in the effort and do the experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKhVdAijDE

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5788 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 963 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living? Aegon 27 3141 May 14, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2047 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? Kernel Sohcahtoa 64 8387 November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Truly objective ethics dimar 9 3240 April 5, 2014 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Possible Worlds and Causal Closure Neo-Scholastic 2 893 March 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Possible is not necessarily possible. Mystic 13 3433 August 22, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Is Secular Liberation Possible?? Katie23 9 3235 August 4, 2013 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Question about two possible attributes of God FallentoReason 43 10529 June 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy