Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for anyone with the knowledge to answer.
Question for anyone with the knowledge to answer.
I am new here and I just wanted to ask a few questions that I have had on my mind.
First of these being - (Considering Christian beliefs)

How does one get into heaven?
Does one need to accept Jesus as our lord and saviour to get into Heaven?

Thanks.
RE: Question for anyone with the knowledge to answer.
(October 5, 2009 at 7:06 am)Anonymous Wrote: I am new here and I just wanted to ask a few questions that I have had on my mind.
First of these being - (Considering Christian beliefs)

How does one get into heaven?
Does one need to accept Jesus as our lord and savior to get into Heaven?

Thanks.

Forgive me if I fail to answer your question to your satisfaction but...

1. Not everyone believes there is such a thing as heaven. However, if we were to stipulate the question only asks, "If there is such a thing as heaven... etc" the answer would then follow...
2. Not everyone wants to go there. However, if we were to stipulate the question assumes that everyone does want to go there, then...
3. Each person will have to decide how to get there on terms that seem reasonable to them. I for one reject the notion that "believing an absurdity" will get me into heaven." I also reject the notion that kissing the ass of a god-monster would do the trick.

Does one need to accept Jesus as Lord and savior to get into heaven? I do not think this to be a reasonable conclusion. However, if we were to stipulate that the only way to get into heaven is via accepting Jesus as Lord and savior, you may count me out. And just for openers let me voice the following:

One the surface, it would seem that if one were teaching a way to find life and life everlasting wouldn't this be of benefit to others and give them a something to look forward to? How could this be damaging?

The issue is not whether the promise of everlasting life is damaging, but whether the strings attached to the promise are damaging (also known as the baggage). And there are plenty of strings. Here are just a few.
• One must believe scores of articles of blind-faith.
• One must not question the articles of faith, even if some appear absurd, repressive of human rights, unjust or unethical.
• One who questions the articles of faith or does not embrace them must be considered evil and therefore must be ostracized, vilified and disenfranchised.
• One must submit to obey hundreds of rules and may not question the justice or injustice of them.
• One must consider themselves evil if they disobey the rules. One must agree they deserve punishment.
• One must consider all others evil who do not obey the rules. They must be punished whether they agree with the rules or not.
• One must do everything in their power, using either persuasion or the force of law, to ensure all others embrace the same articles of faith and embrace the same rules.
• One must agree that all of the above is the right-way and the only-way. Therefore, society must be everlastingly enslaved to it and never allowed to escape.

Now, my mind informs me that these strings are very real, and significantly damage the quality of many lives. If true, a valid question is raised. Is this promise of eternal life really a blessing or is it possible, considering the strings, that it is actually a scourge in disguise, “a wolf in sheep’s clothing?”

Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution.

Christianity does not offer freedom or life. It offers repression and slavery.
@ Anonymous:

Yes

@ SecularOne:

• One must believe scores of articles of blind-faith. One must never accept on blind faith. There are 10 - 12 articles.

• One must not question the articles of faith, even if some appear absurd, repressive of human rights, unjust or unethical. Rubbish - questioning is integral

• One who questions the articles of faith or does not embrace them must be considered evil and therefore must be ostracized, vilified and disenfranchised. - in non Christian Christianity, as practiced in 5th Century Rome. Such a view removes choice and is contradictory

• One must submit to obey hundreds of rules and may not question the justice or injustice of them. - umm... you said this already

• One must consider themselves evil if they disobey the rules. One must agree they deserve punishment. - No, disobeying the rules is to be expected. You think rule breaking should go unpunished?? Very odd. You do bad stuff, you suffer.

• One must consider all others evil who do not obey the rules. They must be punished whether they agree with the rules or not. - Child psychology: you aren't 'evil' you do evil.

• One must do everything in their power, using either persuasion or the force of law, to ensure all others embrace the same articles of faith and embrace the same rules. - repetition again. Force does not equal choice, and as such is anti Christian.

• One must agree that all of the above is the right-way and the only-way. Therefore, society must be everlastingly enslaved to it and never allowed to escape. - Haha Big Grin Wake up SO, you're dreaming again!!

SecularOne Wrote:Christianity does not offer freedom or life. It offers repression and slavery.
..but only in your mind SO Smile
Responding with flim-flam doesn't negate the obvious truth.

Those using their head for something other than a hat rack can see and know the social consequences of enslaving religious dogma.

I don't even need to argue. The reality speaks for itself.
Thankyou SO I shall endeavor to avoid that religion should I ever come across it.
Quote:Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution.

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum; what might be right for you may not be right for some.

Fr0d0,

What if I play nice here on Earth, accept Jesus, live a good life and then go on a killing spree up in heaven (After armageddon when we will have bodies again) or punctuate my sentences with fuck, shit, piss, and openly mock God? Wink

Poo, ass,
Rhizo
Lovely singing Rhiz :pat on head:

Supposedly you have no choice to do bad stuff in Heaven?!? LOL ..or you go the way of the angels in their Hell. Same for Hell... you can't go around believing and stuff!
I like your quote fr0d0 Big Grin

"Christianity is perfect, as a show of just how retarded something can be." -C. S. Lewis Joke

Joking aside... if you have no choice to do 'bad stuff' in heaven... then that is a limit upon freedom. Not doing 'bad stuff' simply because we can't... means that we don't have the empathy to know the impact of our actions.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 5, 2009 at 4:13 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Lovely singing Rhiz :pat on head:

Supposedly you have no choice to do bad stuff in Heaven?!? LOL ..or you go the way of the angels in their Hell. Same for Hell... you can't go around believing and stuff!

Dude, when I am in hell, I'm gonna be all, "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. All other ground is sinking sand." Just to piss all the demons off. Wink

Rhizo
How interesting that sinking sand is made of solid rocks ^_^
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2826 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10091 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 14987 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 18572 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 752007 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 11596 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  To explain knowledge of God Godscreated 290 35734 October 25, 2014 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  20 ADAM AND EVE QUESTIONS PASTORS CANT ANSWER mumumugu 7 2562 August 18, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  10 Questions Every Christian Needs To Answer. Whateverist 63 13957 August 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  True or False ? Will Your Judgement Be Unbiased in Answer to the Question Revealed ? Coveredone 87 36731 April 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris