Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My story
My story
Raised Catholic I was baptised at a young age and never really understood what a personal relationship with Jesus was. After all, the Catholics don't worship Jesus and ignore blatant statements in the bible such as;
"1 Timothy 4 1-3 1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth."
What?! Obviously the Catholic code that priests cannot marry and how during Lent, where we cannot consume meat on Fridays violate the very Bible. So I renounced my Catholicism and called myself "christian".
Fast forward 9 years and I was in an addiction that was the same length of time respectively. I had been in and out of jail and to prison twice. Cocaine and meth had destroyed my life. I had tried everything to break the addiction and not even two years in prison did it. I figured God had to be the only way out of the darkness. After an attempt on suicide failed, I asked God to take my addiction away and I would forever serve His kingdom. I felt a rush of peace that I cannot explain to this day, however I no longer feel it was divine. I began attending church, playing in a worship band, became a leader and worshiped with my hands held high. I began to search atheistic forums and youtube videos in an attempt to save their souls. I was "on fire" for God and there was nothing that could pluck me out of His mighty hand. A close friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer and she would be faithfully at church every week with her hands held high, even after receiving chemo. I prayed and prayed for God to heal her. I was on my knees praying so hard that tears would stream down my face. Others were praying as hard. She was taken to healers and I was sure God would glorify himself through her healing. After she died I began to study the Bible in an attempt to disprove non-believers claims of contradictions in the Word. Over a period of 8 months, my understanding of scripture became clearer as my christianity dissolved. I became angry that I was lied to and studied the Bible more than ever trying to prove God to myself. But 2+2=4 no matter which way you look at it. It took me some time to accept the fact that I'll never see my loved ones again and that one day I will just cease to exist. That still scares me today. But I would rather live with a personal relationship to reality than live a life of false hope.
RE: My story
Wait, Catholics don't worship Jesus? I was raised Catholic and I can say that is totally false. True, they don't seem to have that "personal relationship with Jesus" nonsense that many other Christian denominations have, but they still worship Jesus as savior.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I never get it when our resident shitwits start their pious blather about a personal relationship with their imaginary friend. It is lunacy in the extreme. They should all be locked away. No one ever said it better than......

Quote:There is, in fact, no worldview more reprehensible in its arrogance than that of a religious believer: the creator of the universe takes an interest in me, approves of me, loves me, and will reward me after death; my current beliefs, drawn from scripture, will remain the best statement of the truth until the end of the world; everyone who disagrees with me will spend eternity in hell.

--Sam Harris Letter to a Christian Nation
(September 18, 2013 at 12:32 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Wait, Catholics don't worship Jesus? I was raised Catholic and I can say that is totally false. True, they don't seem to have that "personal relationship with Jesus" nonsense that many other Christian denominations have, but they still worship Jesus as savior.

Their focus is primarily on the Blessed Mother... I guess I should watch my words more carefully. But the fact remains that they violate the verse in first Timothy. Not to mention the various obelisks found throughout the Vatican which ironically is pagan symbolism for sex.

(September 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I never get it when our resident shitwits start their pious blather about a personal relationship with their imaginary friend.
And encourage love while displaying bigotry toward all others outside of their denomination. There are some 41,000 denominations of Christianity btw. That's a lot of people to love, yet hate each other at the same time. Hypocrites
Welcome to the dark side. There are no cookies. We lied about that. We don't care because we don't believe in hell.
(September 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Welcome to the dark side. There are no cookies. We lied about that. We don't care because we don't believe in hell.
funny thing is I lived my whole life around lies when now I live more in truth, lol
OP, you deconverted because God did not heal the woman in your church from cancer? But did it occur to you that maybe in dying she went to heaven where she would no longer be sick?
No, dummy. She's dead and is no longer sick.

We don't need your fucking bullshit stories for that. That is reality.
psst, hobie, I think you should let sleeping threads lie.....
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
Ah but if Jesus can raise the dead his followers can necropost!

You know... Logic.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1739 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1914 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5281 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4525 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Converted into Athiesm - My Story coolfunkDJ 15 4539 February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Nope
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2301 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3325 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4500 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  Another Story Raevoryx 9 3801 August 13, 2014 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Raevoryx
  My story. topher 0 1100 April 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: topher