Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where goes god get his morality from?
Where goes god get his morality from?
I'm wondering, if our morals are from god and imbued by him, then what imbued his morals?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Where goes god gewt his morality from?
What are you gewtting on about? God has no morals, as he's a collective hallucination!
RE: Where goes god get his morality from?
If the biblical god exists then it is clear he doesn't have morals. Only commandments for humans.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
I've heard some tell me that morality, for god, is just a part of his nature, like it's bound into him at some fundamental level. To me, that always seemed like another way of stopping the conversation; christians seem to want to put a full stop on investigation while explaining absolutely nothing with their purported answer.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Given the usual Christian/Muslim response to the Euthyphro Dilemma, the likely answer will be that God doesn't 'get' his morality from any other thing than himself. Rather, God is the Good itself. Oh boy, monotheists copyinf from Plato; who'd of thunk it?
God gets special pleading. His morals come from him being the most moral being ever. You have to use presuppositionalism to make sense of it.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: God gets special pleading. His morals come from him being the most moral being ever. You have to use presuppositionalism to make sense of it.

Presummpositionalism can make sense of anything, so why would I want it to make sense of christianity, rather of an infinite variety of other non-christianity compatible fantasies?
From this guy:

[Image: 67112200d1282077132-cracker-jack-racist-...g-clip.jpg]
If only Christians understood (and I'm sure they do) how offensive the whole "all morals come from God" idea is, since it's basically saying that if you don't believe and worship God then you are immoral, or if you happen to be a moral atheist then you're actually following God and aren't a true atheist.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
God got his morals from the people who made him up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33081 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2914 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4028 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7322 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Another "image" of Jesus goes viral Foxaèr 26 2662 May 21, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  If God's Not An Asshole His Followers Are Minimalist 21 3045 August 13, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Man creates in his own image Foxaèr 7 1096 June 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3391 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14131 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44879 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished