Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An intro and a serious question
Question 
An intro and a serious question
So im new to this forum and came here specifically because I have a question only other athiests have a chance to answer.

So I have a daughter, I do not live with her and her mom for very complicated reasons but I am still in my daughters life. In recent years my family has become much more religious and my ex's family is very heavily catholic. Because of that belief they insist all their kids go to catholic school. My ex is agnostic and doesnt really care, the reason she sends our daughter to catholic school is because they get funding from both the government and the catholic church so they are much better funded schools and it is cheaper to send your kids to school there.I dont want my daughter to have catholic view of religion regardless but just being athiest in my eyes isnt a good enough reason to want my daughter out of the school. My big dilemma is two fold for one I have seen much of the religious "education" they preform at the schools and i find my problem is that they teach the bible incorrectly. I think my daughter having some background education on the catholic faith is advantageous, but teaching that god created the flood because he loved us ... that's just lying to children and its disgusting. The second part of my problem is the funding thing, it really bugs me why should education money from tax dollars go to buying catholic school ipads to put in grade 1 kids desks ( true story happened in my ex's sister's school) while public school teachers cant afford pencils and paper for their students and they cant hire enough teachers for public school. So intellectually and morally im offended but at the same time how do I take the best available education from my daughter who is brilliant and I dont want to see her waste away in public school like i've seen happen to friends. It's a dilemma I have been wrestling with for 2 years now and as my daughter is in kindergarten this year and heading to real education next year I need some help. and no one in my very religious family and apathetic friends seems to be able to give any advice at all. so that brings me here in a hope I can find some input
RE: An intro and a serious question
Quote:my problem is that they teach the bible incorrectly.

Is there any other way? Besides "This is what superstitious bronze-age goat herders really believed back then" that is.

I wish I had an easy answer for you, but perhaps you can let her learn about Christianity on the one hand, and then teach her why it's bullshit on the other.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Encourage her to bring her questions to you. You can undo much of the damage they pour into her ears.

BTW, families suck but I guess you have figured that out for yourself.

Welcome.
Yeah, I'm going to echo the replies above and say that if it was me in your position, I would make sure she was exposed to a wider range of information sources than just the limited script the school would use. Luckily the internet, used responsibly, provides an ideal educational tool for that sort of thing. You've already made a step in the right direction by finding your way here.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
my point seemed to be missed a little here, and maybe its because my complaints for this arent the big deal i think they are. I dont mind the teaching of religion I was already planning to teach the differing veiw. There is a wrong way to teach the bible and thats by lieing about what is says. i t is one thing to cherry pick which verses to teach to children. Picking a story like the flood and teach that it shows love is wrong. A major problem with this is its a much harder programming to defuse especially in a family in which I am the lone voice of reason and am shouted down and critisized when I speak up. The other issue is more of a political morality issue and has to do with the disproportionate funding differences and this one is more of a " how do morally justify using a morally corrupt system to teach my daughter regardless and aside from the religous differences"
That being said I have already lost elementary school since she has already made friends and although I dont like it there isnt much I can do this more for trying to gather my thoughts now and just get some sounding boards for this. then the fight for junior high lol
I went to a Church of England school.

I can't actually remember any students who ended up as christians.

This was the rebellious eighties though.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

No one here can give you a silver bullet to solve your problems. I can only say do the best you can, don't put your kid in the middle of any beefs or disagreements you might have with others. Let them be themselves and always let them know you love them.
Welcome to AF...

If you are not seeing the responses you had
hoped for then perhaps you are asking the
wrong questions, or you're asking the right
questions in the wrong manner. I agree with
some of the above responses. Let your daughter
go to the Catholic school where they further
abuse an already abusive tale from the
bible. When she gets home, tell her what the
bible really teaches - that "god" is a vicious
tyrant who hates his supposed creation, and
is bent on its destruction. This way, she'll grow
up NOT trusting whatever she is exposed to as
"truth", and she will need to develop strong
critical thinking skills. She will begin to question
the world around her with a healthy amount of
rational skepticism. This situation sucks, but
it may actually be very strategic and advantageous
in the long run. ALWAYS show your daughter
your love for her. Best wishes.

Welcome again - have fun on the forums.
it isn't morally wrong to send your daughter to a good school just because that "good" school is immorally (in your opinion) funded. Think of it this way, is it morally right for you to deprive your daughter of the best possible education she can have? It's just making use of our environment, the world isn't perfect and there has to be compromises, you have to figure out what matters more to you and to your daughter.

Welcome and have fun!
Quote:There is a wrong way to teach the bible and thats by lieing about what is says.

The catholics have been peddling their b.s. for 1500 years. You aren't going to change them.

Remember: Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man.

Jesuit motto

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro DocIllinois 14 1202 August 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belated intro Dom 20 1741 September 29, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intro Reltzik 21 998 September 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intro Bow Before Zeus 15 1885 November 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  intro JamieBra 28 5160 September 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  MY INTRO rjh4 is back 7 1315 August 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Intro Court Jester 25 4993 June 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: KerimF
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3881 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  intro Otisknows 17 2431 February 6, 2017 at 12:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread Redoubtable 16 3375 February 5, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Otisknows