Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading the bible
Reading the bible
I am thinking whether do I need toread the bible to conclude whether it is from God or no. I have read parts here and there but not from front till end.
RE: Reading the bible
Ephrium,

I would suggest you read it. Regardless of truth you should study it to understand where Christians get their views from; well at least where well-read theists ge their views from.

It is my experience that most Christians just like the sound of their being an afterlife and are wooed in by a friend and then held enraptured by all the preachy talking on Sunday and only hold a bible to look cool. I am always telling my mom and dad that they should actually crack open that book so they can do one of two things:

1. Edify themselves spiritually and more fully understand the nature of God while simultaneously growing in their understanding of why their son thinks the bible is looney.

2. Understand that the bible is looney and needs explaining, giving them a reason to reject their faith and live a life according to natural rules.

My dad has failing health and there is no doubt in my mind that the main reason he does nothing very productive to help himself is because he is looking forward to death and his reward in heaven instead of trying to improve his health to enjoy the only existence he will ever know.

Rhizo
Quote:he is looking forward to death and his reward in heaven

In such ways is religion dangerous.
No shit
There is plenty in the bible about being a good steward of what we are given. For this reason I would like my dad to deepen his walk with God through reading the bible. I have no hope that he would bin the whole thing but wholeheartedly support any action that would yield positive results. In many ways I am a Chaote I just don't do spells anymore. The chaos star is my favorite symbol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaote

But, not to derail the thread, reading the bible is good for believer and unbeliever alike. I will probably read the Quran too and more on Buddhism. Is there a collected works of Buddhism? I know there are many Sutras but is there a collected group of works that could be considered complete? What is it called?

Thanks,
Rhizo
Buddhism for dummies IIRC
Quote:My dad has failing health and there is no doubt in my mind that the main reason he does nothing very productive to help himself is because he is looking forward to death and his reward in heaven instead of trying to improve his health to enjoy the only existence he will ever know.

Sad,but that's his right, and it's a rational view fora believer. Looking forward to a wonderful life-to--come is part of the appeal to the poor,the marginalised and the stupid. (no offence to your dad)

The early church sold itself so well that at one point they had to proscribe actively seeking martyrdom;it was effecting the collection plate..

My health is also poor.My plan is to do what I can to keep my quality of life at a decent level. When that goes,it's some serapax and an excellent bottle of cognac.
(October 21, 2009 at 5:00 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: There is plenty in the bible about being a good steward of what we are given. For this reason I would like my dad to deepen his walk with God through reading the bible. I have no hope that he would bin the whole thing but wholeheartedly support any action that would yield positive results. In many ways I am a Chaote I just don't do spells anymore. The chaos star is my favorite symbol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaote

But, not to derail the thread, reading the bible is good for believer and unbeliever alike. I will probably read the Quran too and more on Buddhism. Is there a collected works of Buddhism? I know there are many Sutras but is there a collected group of works that could be considered complete? What is it called?

Thanks,
Rhizo

It is called tripitaka or something. One set consist of sayings by the Buddha, the other monastic rules and the last sayings by the arhants or enlightened ones.
The Buddhavacana is widely regarded as the base for Buddhism, as the words of Buddha. He is not regarded as a god but more a person that reached the highest state of enlightenment. From there Buddhism branched out and more scriptures are found in different variations/denominations of Buddhism.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(October 21, 2009 at 1:29 pm)Ephrium Wrote: I am thinking whether do I need toread the bible to conclude whether it is from God or no. I have read parts here and there but not from front till end.

Read it, and take notes. I also suggest you get a pack of highlighter pens, green for sex, blue for murder......get a pack of 10 different shades if you can, there is a lot to cover. By reading it and highlighting the various crimes and contradictions you will get to know it quite well.............you will also NOT be converted.

A
EE WA EE WA, WIGGY WIGGY WIGGY, PLUNGA A PLUNGA A

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggested reading? Spooky 11 3487 September 8, 2015 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Any tips on reading the bible for an atheist? rensou 49 10379 March 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Reading the Bible made me an Atheist Cholley71 4 2968 August 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  I am reading the bible. . . Aegrus 6 2046 December 8, 2011 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Zen Badger