Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why You Should Be Atheist
Why You Should Be Atheist
I've noticed a lot of people on here discussing theology, especially Christian, and I just wanted to make a post here about why being an atheist is the right decision.

Not everyone is Christian. There are a myriad of different religions out there. I'd feel more comfortable if someone was trying to make me see why I shouldn't turn away from Buddha on here, I always liked Buddha. Don't worship the guy, but he was alright.

Anyways, if you have decided to become an atheist and are slightly conflicted about turning away from religion, there are a few questions you probably have.

1. If religion was invented by humans, then why?

2. What does religion do to people in an observable way?

3. If there's more than one religion, are all of them wrong, are all of them correct, or are all of them describing something we haven't yet correctly described?

4. But I'm terrified of death, what will happen when I die?

Now I will begin to answer these questions one by one.

1. This question is hard to answer. If I say that it was invented to enslave people to stories perhaps I am being too hard on people, if I say it was invented to explain the world I am not being realistic because it doesn't explain the world, the truth is I don't know why religion was invented, it would take an expert in human social behavior to analyze this, especially because of the madness religion sometimes causes.

2. I have observed that religion causes people to believe the impossible and behave in crazy sometimes damaging ways. It also brings people together at fun gatherings and encourages good behavior at the threat of supernatural punishment which never comes, although people punish others for bad behavior. They have power over marriage rituals which is a uniform custom in every culture, thus we can assume that a man and woman being together for life is an animal urge. They have power over funerals. This makes them an important part of human social structure, a part of what leads us, even if they are crazy.

3. All of them have value because all of them are interesting, however they are all unbelievable and fanciful. We must always be open to other people's ways of life.

4. You don't know what will happen when you die because you have never experienced death.

So why be an atheist?

Remember, being an atheist isn't all disbelieving, it is being open to an infinite number of possibilities. If you constrain yourself to one way of thinking and never change, then it is you who are left behind. It is observing. There are higher powers in the world, ones that are not fanciful, and only through observation and analysis can you truly know what these are, and that some are very dangerous, some are good, and some, like the power of nature, have no concept of good or evil, except that humans, as part of nature, have that concept.

There is a parallelogram in a game I played constantly as a child, a puzzle game from ancient china. The shape was specific, but it was called the parallelogram because here in the west it has no name. Does it have a name in china, the right triangles connected on the short side? The square is cut up into triangles, a square, and the parallelogram, and from there, you can make a huge variety of shapes. People are like this square. All varieties are just the square in disguise. I was wondering about it, sorry I put it in here. Anyway, end of this post.
RE: Why You Should Be Atheist
1. Not "if", religion WAS, invented by humans. Why? Because humans were/are ignorant and gullible.

2. It allows them to ignore facts, it also divides humans.

3. None of them have real value. The "value" is local to the person and or culture in which they live. No, we must value human rights. They have the right to believe what they want, and we have the right to call it bullshit.

5. Yes we DO know, scientifically, we are dead, thats it.

"So why be an atheist?"

No, the question is why do people think they need a god?
I understood that I was an atheist when I realized that I did not believe in the existence of the god I'd spent many years worshiping. It really wasn't any more complicated than that.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(October 11, 2013 at 2:13 pm)Dunno Wrote: Remember, being an atheist isn't all disbelieving, it is being open to an infinite number of possibilities.

No no no that's what faith and belief is all about. Atheism is about rejecting these claims and possibilities as even valid in favour of naturalist materialism, the physical universe and the world as we experience it right now is all there is. Take a look at the stuff atheists are posting on here and you will see what I mean.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 11, 2013 at 2:13 pm)Dunno Wrote: What does religion do to people in an observable way?

THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8YmZThpgE

END RELIGION NOW!
(October 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(October 11, 2013 at 2:13 pm)Dunno Wrote: Remember, being an atheist isn't all disbelieving, it is being open to an infinite number of possibilities.

No no no that's what faith and belief is all about. Atheism is about rejecting these claims and possibilities as even valid in favour of naturalist materialism, the physical universe and the world as we experience it right now is all there is. Take a look at the stuff atheists are posting on here and you will see what I mean.

Hey, for once in your miserable life you got it right. We deal in REALITY not fairy tales. Feel free to join us when you finally pull your head out of your ass.
It's very simple why everyone should be an atheist. Namely, that there is absolutely zero actual evidence for any gods existing.

But, if they want to believe in their claptrap, that's fine by my as long as they leave everyone else alone about it and stop trying to push it into government and having the government push it on others for them.

(October 11, 2013 at 2:26 pm)Tonus Wrote: I understood that I was an atheist when I realized that I did not believe in the existence of the god I'd spent many years worshiping. It really wasn't any more complicated than that.

Pretty much the same here. It was quite the revelation to myself and everything just seemed to finally make sense when thinking of a universe without a god.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: No no no that's what faith and belief is all about. Atheism is about rejecting these claims and possibilities as even valid in favour of naturalist materialism, the physical universe and the world as we experience it right now is all there is. Take a look at the stuff atheists are posting on here and you will see what I mean.

So, to be clear, I've corrected this guy on what we believe- specifically on this rejection issue- numerous times, and warned him against telling us what we believe too. He's replied to those posts, so he did read them. He just hasn't changed his story.

Sword of Christ is a liar, an aggressive and dishonest hypocrite, and he should be treated as such.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(October 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote:
(October 11, 2013 at 2:13 pm)Dunno Wrote: What does religion do to people in an observable way?

THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8YmZThpgE

END RELIGION NOW!

You won't stop delusions in an evolution that's goal isn't about fact finding, yet fucking. You cant end religion, you can only put it on leash and keep it from mutual destruction.

(October 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:

No, you have already made the certain conclusion that your god exists, as the starting position.

When the atheists says you are full of shit, it isn't that we are certain about the future, but that there ARE things that have been beaten like a dead horse to the point of discarding them.

If you can rule out Thor making lightening as a possibility, and Allah being a possibility, then surely you cant be that dense to not understand why we reject your pet god claim as well.

As far as monkeys flying out of my ass, if we go by your logic, that is a possibility too, since you don't know the future. But somehow I think you rightfully reject such an absurdity.
(October 11, 2013 at 3:58 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Sword of Christ is a liar, an aggressive and dishonest hypocrite, and he should be treated as such.

Being dishonest implies that you correctly understand what you are misrepresenting.

Can you defend that claim? Tongue
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13519 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why are you an atheist? Ongietan 26 2539 February 20, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  [Serious] Why are you an Atheist? maxolla 303 24333 February 15, 2020 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3405 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2710 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are you an atheist? Tiberius 130 74341 January 9, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9059 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92695 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5498 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7029 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist