Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oprah speaks for atheists?
Oprah speaks for atheists?
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/oprah-you-can...the-world/

Oprah, like most theists think there has to be magic in something if it is "pretty". No there is not so nice stuff in the world too, and neither the "awe" inspiring things in life nor the not so nice stuff needs a bearded man with a magic wand vs a man with a pitchfork to explain.

It is a sick thought to me to think of "all this" in which we live in being game pieces for two narcissistic characters fighting over the neurons in our brains as if we were prizes.
RE: Oprah speaks for atheists?
who is Oprah?
Douglas Adams Wrote:Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

I think what mystifies religious people (who aren't that inquisitive), is that how someone can indeed see the beauty of things, but yet perfectly knowing why it is so. E.g. a beautiful, multicolored sunset is no less beautiful, even though I understand how the photons reflecting off particles in the air at a new angle makes my eyes see new colors. And unfortunately pollution.. But it doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the natural spectacle played in front of me. Knowing and understanding the world around me makes it all even more marvellous.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

When I see a thunderstorm I marvel at its chaotic beauty. The awesome contradiction of perfect order to create perfect chaos. How the air masses when mixed just right can form a beautiful ballet of light across the sky. The clouds with in a storm aggressively move in all directions to as it submits to the dominate wind as it claims control over dominion of the sky. The thunder announces itself to the humans below reminding them how little control over its domain we really have. For once, while facing the wrath of a storm, we face something that is truly a god, something that can decide if you live or if you die. (It might sound cheese, but as a agnostic I can marvel and know good and well the beauty as demostrated above.)
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
(October 15, 2013 at 7:50 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: who is Oprah?

In America she made her way from local reporter, to Chicago talk show host, to media billionaire. But like many rich people, and humans in general, falsely mistakes her fortune as the blessings of a deity.

She is a liberal, but still. A liberal fantasy simply is more watered down than fundy.
Why would knowledge diminish the experience? It enhances it!
(October 15, 2013 at 8:16 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: When I see a thunderstorm I marvel at its chaotic beauty. The awesome contradiction of perfect order to create perfect chaos. How the air masses when mixed just right can form a beautiful ballet of light across the sky. The clouds with in a storm aggressively move in all directions to as it submits to the dominate wind as it claims control over dominion of the sky. The thunder announces itself to the humans below reminding them how little control over its domain we really have. For once, while facing the wrath of a storm, we face something that is truly a god, something that can decide if you live or if you die. (It might sound cheese, but as a agnostic I can marvel and know good and well the beauty as demostrated above.)

Modern monotheists would rightfully reject Thor as the cause, but cant see how stupid their own "POOFDADDY" claim is.

I agree man, even the nasty stuff in it's power can give you a huge sense of "WOW". Lightening in a photograph is pretty, but I damned sure don't want to get hit by it.
(October 15, 2013 at 8:23 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 15, 2013 at 7:50 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: who is Oprah?

In America she made her way from local reporter, to Chicago talk show host, to media billionaire. But like many rich people, and humans in general, falsely mistakes her fortune as the blessings of a deity.

She is a liberal, but still. A liberal fantasy simply is more watered down than fundy.

"Who is Kanye West?"

"Who is Ann Coulter?"

"Who is Shawn Hanety?"

"Who is Westboro Baptist?"

I usualy respond with a "who is" or "what is" when confronted with a organisation or person that craves for attention for the purpose of diminishing their craving for attention. I know who she is, I just dont care.
(October 15, 2013 at 8:33 am)The Germans are coming Wrote:
(October 15, 2013 at 8:23 am)Brian37 Wrote: In America she made her way from local reporter, to Chicago talk show host, to media billionaire. But like many rich people, and humans in general, falsely mistakes her fortune as the blessings of a deity.

"Who is Kanye West?"

"Who is Ann Coulter?"

"Who is Shawn Hanety?"

"Who is Westboro Baptist?"

I usualy respond with a "who is" or "what is" when confronted with a organisation or person that craves for attention for the purpose of diminishing their craving for attention. I know who she is, I just dont care.

They only stay on a leash when challenged. Islam and Christianity and Hebrews all started out as small at one time, and we have seen the division and death for thousands of years.

You don't have to care, but ANYTHING left to it's own devices can effect you if it gets big enough. That includes business, politics and nationalism too.

Oprah has millions of viewers that listen to her, and if she is peddling flawed logic and projecting her own desires on us, liberal or not, it would be unwise for us to ignore.

That is not paranoia, just pragmatic awareness. Stupid claims with no good logic are always going to come out of human's mouths. But those who don't question long term can be affected by it.
Unrelated to the actual thread, but to the article linked in the OP:

Quote:Diana Nyad is a truly remarkable woman. She made four unsuccessful attempts to swim from Cuba to Florida, but persevered and actually accomplished her goal on the fifth try.

This opening paragraph of the article in question I think completely undersells the accomplishment of Diana Nyad. She didn't just swim from Cuba to Florida. She did so, unaided, at the age of 64. Now that is truly remarkable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A devout Muslim speaks, and I agree with every word Catholic_Lady 12 2372 November 17, 2015 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Seal who shot Bin Laden speaks out. Phish 22 7080 February 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Oprah is coming to Australia Oldandeasilyconfused 18 5040 September 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused