Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone actually tried to use the ontological argument on me...
Someone actually tried to use the ontological argument on me...
I can't believe it. A friend (who is kind of a non-committal Christian) actually tried to use the Ontological argument on me - but only because he regards me as an unswayable atheist.

Anyway he launches into the whole "Imagine the perfect being" thing and then goes onto the "if it existed it would be even more perfect - therefore God (somewhat summarised but I guess you all know the argument).

The conversation then goes as follows:

"You can't"
"Can't what?"
"Imagine the perfect being."
"Why not?"
"It wouldn't fit my definition of the perfect being. We'd end up with one each. That's 7 billion Gods - polytheism gone mad."
"Nonsense - we could establish between us the perfect being."
"OK- lets try it. Imagine your perfect being. Go nuts; all powerful, all knowing; all understanding, all loving whatever you want. I will then ask you one question and you will see the problem."
"Right."

So he sits there for about 30 seconds with his eyes closed and then announces he is ready for my question.

"Sure?"

"Sure!"

"Your perfect being....."

"Yes"

"How big are her breasts?"
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Someone actually tried to use the ontological argument on me...
What about her ass?
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

(October 21, 2013 at 9:48 am)victor4128 Wrote: What about her ass?

Two things at a time.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I get tired of all the arguments. I simply ask these morons if they would buy their own arguments if someone with another pet god claim used the same argument to argue for their god.
(October 21, 2013 at 9:50 am)Tonus Wrote:
(October 21, 2013 at 9:48 am)victor4128 Wrote: What about her ass?

Two things at a time.
Thinking
I counted three.
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
TheoreticalBullshit has a good point when he says the argument is actually absurd if you applied it to something like a cookie:

(1) Imagine the tastiest cookie ever.
(2) It would be even tastier if it was in your mouth
(C1) The tastiest cookie exists in your mouth

If only things could be willed into existence like that...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(October 21, 2013 at 11:07 am)FallentoReason Wrote: TheoreticalBullshit has a good point when he says the argument is actually absurd if you applied it to something like a cookie:

(1) Imagine the tastiest cookie ever.
(2) It would be even tastier if it was in your mouth
(C1) The tastiest cookie exists in your mouth

If only things could be willed into existence like that...

I have done the reverse argument as well. Imagine the most evil scariest creature possible. Imagine further that it is so powerful its even more powerful than God and immortal, of course......

You can do it with a whole host of things.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
If you have the time at some stage, you should search up TheoreticalBullshit's video on this argument. He absolutely obliterates it from every angle possible.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
God is a game of ifs and butts and dungeons and dragons, the downside is the delusional base their politics on it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 1232 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1437 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4751 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1769 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG Der/die AtheistIn 30 4226 April 3, 2019 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Mankind is actually building "Gods" Face2face 6 2161 December 11, 2017 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can someone debunk this FPerson 162 32755 November 12, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Trying to Apply the Ontological Argument in Real Life YahwehIsTheWay 21 4793 April 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3582 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5447 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus