Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists and marriage
Atheists and marriage
Curious how other atheists feel about marriage? I personally don't necessarily see the need for it, as it was all created by bullshit in the first place. I understand having a ceremony of some sort maybe, but that's mostly just to dress up and party.
Here in the US I've been told about the tax breaks and what not (perfect reason to spiritually bind yourself to another for eternity), and I've heard from others those benefits aren't that great... and I don't want to be stuck here in America forever anyway.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
RE: Atheists and marriage
I think it means a lot. It's commitment to someone, legal commitment, you're becoming family with someone of your own choosing. And I think as humans we/a lot of us recognize that it is a big move that sometimes requires sacrifice and we value it more than, say, just moving in together.

I don't think marriage "binds you to another person spiritually", love binds you together (not spiritually, but in this realm of reality), marriage makes it a legal commitment.
I only ask because marriage only exists because of religion. I've spoken to some people who are atheist and they think it's a load of bullocks, won't consider it even. I've spoken to others who said just the same as you.
What do you mean marriage only exists because of religion? I don't remember any religious texts inventing marriage, they simply put a lot of rules around something that already exists.
Whoops, excuse me that last statement came out of my ass....
I really dont know.

I wanted to get married with someone a few years ago, but since then I never met someone who I would have wanted to.

In practical terms I see no use for it, so I guess my opinion about it is mostly guided by my emotions.
I've never wanted to get married. I shudder to think about how life would be if I had married any of my exes.
I think it is something that means allot because it shows your committing to being with one in a stable and no religion ever created it. It's possibly older then the homo sapiens species
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
marriage in and of itself is ONLY a social contract. It is a contract entered into by two parties who will share the legal liabilities and benefits. It also makes life VERY easy should one of the parties die, the other inherits the liabilities and benefits easily.

And for the rest of it?

It's just a great excuse to have a party and invite the family. Big Grin

Zen and I are "married" we mostly ignore the romantic nonsense and just have fun anyway.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Marriage is a method of making sure that any children a given woman has, are taken care for by her husband... it helps if the woman has no children prior to the marriage... or, better yet, is a virgin! Tongue

Take this raw rule of thumb and you get the first marriages...

The party itself is a way of letting everyone in the community know that those two persons are bonded and also to tell everyone else to keep their hands off.

Religions took over the task of keeping records, as a part of their rubbing their noses up into everyone's affairs.

Then states took back that privilege and now it's a mess.

Legal rights depend on where you live, but, for the most part, you get some tax breaks... in my country, you get even more tax breaks if you're legally divorced! go figure!
The religious (catholic) marriage is only valid for believers and... for some 30~50% of marriages... it becomes a nuisance because they can't re-marry.

Bottom line, for me, marriage is just a contract, where I pledge myself to keep the kids healthy and the wife happy... while she does the same for me. As long as both are willing, it works quite well. It's a partnership, at best, for the rest of your life. So... it's good policy to pick out a compatible partner.... not an easy task when all... most... girls want to be princesses, with their prince charmings and all the stuff money can get them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1915 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4476 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2200 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  a new atheist and marriage Thegoodatheist 70 11234 August 9, 2017 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Anti gay-marriage atheist?? Catholic_Lady 154 24069 September 9, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Charlie Brooker on Gay Marriage pop_punks_not_dead 4 2073 December 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Same sex marriage StatCrux 533 302759 January 19, 2013 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Marriage problems with theist Roshambo 19 9039 March 9, 2012 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Violet
  Atheist Marriage? Catherine 24 8533 July 10, 2011 at 11:18 am
Last Post: reverendjeremiah