Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Marriage?
Atheist Marriage?
My mum has generally completely ignored my lack of faith and doesn't normally comment, but today we were chatting, she was asking me about various guys I know, trying to find out if I have a thing for any of them. Then out of the blue she said, "Well, at least one good thing has come out of all this. You won't have a white wedding in a church with all the bells and whistles attached - it'll save me money." I didn't know how to respond. I mean, I've thought about it before, but you can still have a wedding when you're an Atheist, right? I'm sure some people just get married at their local city hall. Non-religious weddings do exist, no? All I replied to her was "I suppose," because, Yes, obviously, I won't be getting married in a church. But I was wondering what everyone else thought of the topic, whether anyone on here who is married and not religious can tell me what they did for their cermony.
Thoughts?
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
-Douglas Adams

RE: Atheist Marriage?
Even religious people get married in places other than churches with all the bells and whistles of the traditional wedding.

Gawdzilla and I got married in a park. He was wearing white overalls and a red plaid shirt. I was wearing a lilac gingham blouse and a denim skirt. It was hillbilly formal. Big Grin

It's your wedding, do what the hell you want.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin

"Much better to have the ability to think critically, than the ability to quote scripture. One says you have a functioning mind. The other says you're a parrot." -- The Secular Buddhist
After much protest from myself I broke down and went to the justice of the peace.....twice. The second time I actually paid a little extra to have the justice come out to my home and perform the ceremony in our living room. Then I gorged myself on ribs. In fact, I couldn't wait for the ceremony to be over, because the smell of the ribs had drifted from the kitchen to the fireplace where we were standing. Had I not been through the whole deal before, I assure you I wouldn't even know what was said. I love ribs.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm)Sciwoman Wrote: Even religious people get married in places other than churches with all the bells and whistles of the traditional wedding.

Gawdzilla and I got married in a park. He was wearing white overalls and a red plaid shirt. I was wearing a lilac gingham blouse and a denim skirt. It was hillbilly formal. Big Grin

It's your wedding, do what the hell you want.

That sounds sweet, and to be honest, it's what I really wanted to tell my mother. Not that I'm planning on getting married soon or anything, but still. It annoyed me that she assumed you can't have a "big" wedding if you don't do it in a church.

(July 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm)Rhythm Wrote: After much protest from myself I broke down and went to the justice of the peace.....twice. The second time I actually paid a little extra to have the justice come out to my home and perform the ceremony in our living room. Then I gorged myself on ribs. In fact, I couldn't wait for the ceremony to be over, because the smell of the ribs had drifted from the kitchen to the fireplace where we were standing. Had I not been through the whole deal before, I assure you I wouldn't even know what was said. I love ribs.

This made me laugh Tongue I love ribs, too Big Grin I suppose it's just a smaller affair if you go to your city hall, or whatever, right?
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
-Douglas Adams

(July 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm)Catherine Wrote: ... I've thought about it before, but you can still have a wedding when you're an Atheist, right?
You can join yourself to someone in marriage any way you wish. Not all Christians are married in a church with all the bells and whistles.

I knew someone who married on a cruise ship, as they gave a Birthday surprise to their Fiancee' after they gifted them a ticket to a world cruise. Talk about costly bells and whistles! Because what this woman didn't know was that both her and her lovers family were on board for the event.

Religious values and tradition do not a marriage make. Love, sacrifice, mutual respect, friendship,trust, passion and patience does. So look forward to your special day and bring to bear all the bells and whistles you desire, as a proud atheist in love and ready to commit to someone who loves you as much as you first love yourself. After all, when it comes down to the religious inferences of your mum, even the Bible says that no thing made by mortal hands (like a church) can contain within it the true power and spirit of god. So church bells and whistles is just an expense for a building that does not contain anything but lumber, plumbing and electricity.

It isn't special and ceremony within isn't especially blessed nor is it something to be construed as abandoned and thus less in official capacity when an atheist partakes in a marriage ceremony that is not performed within a church. Unless of course an atheist marries a Theist and concedes to do so.

In truth, as soon as you both sign the marriage license you're officially married. The ceremony that may come after, is what is the bells and whistles that are at option, not requisite. Because every marriage was first and foremost a civil union. Religion or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with it.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
My wife and I married at the JP's house. It was a small affair, immediate family only as neither of us wanted the large formal event. But I agree, have the wedding you want, there are other options that accommodate the larger traditional sort without the religious backdrop.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
Well, IDK if it was a smaller affair,. There were a lot of people there to pay parking tickets and fines. We got the well wishes from them on the way out of the door.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
City Hall weddings are usually small affairs - the bride, the groom, and a few witnesses. For something larger, most areas have places that can be rented for events like weddings - parks, botanical gardens, banquet halls, just to name a few. There are even museums that can be rented for weddings.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin

"Much better to have the ability to think critically, than the ability to quote scripture. One says you have a functioning mind. The other says you're a parrot." -- The Secular Buddhist
Catering Halls work. I work at a catering hall where people have a ceremony, religious or simply a union ceremony, and then the party is right there. Big Grin
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(July 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm)Catherine Wrote: My mum has generally completely ignored my lack of faith and doesn't normally comment, but today we were chatting, she was asking me about various guys I know, trying to find out if I have a thing for any of them. Then out of the blue she said, "Well, at least one good thing has come out of all this. You won't have a white wedding in a church with all the bells and whistles attached - it'll save me money." I didn't know how to respond. I mean, I've thought about it before, but you can still have a wedding when you're an Atheist, right? I'm sure some people just get married at their local city hall. Non-religious weddings do exist, no? All I replied to her was "I suppose," because, Yes, obviously, I won't be getting married in a church. But I was wondering what everyone else thought of the topic, whether anyone on here who is married and not religious can tell me what they did for their cermony [sic].
Thoughts?

My wife is an atheist, I am Wiccan. We decided when we got married that the only appropriate ceremony (for us) was a Discordian ceremony, attended only by a chipmunk. (Our ceremony can be posted here by request, if you dare.) (Colorado does not require an official to make a legal marriage, or even witnesses, just the signatures on the licence that says you are married.)

That said, a wedding is not about religion. A wedding is a declaration of a couple's commitment before the community. One can have a secular wedding just as fancy and as expensive as any religious one, if one desires. It is ignorance at best, and arrogance at worst, to think only the "religious" should have a large wedding ceremony.

And as a wedding is generally perceived to be one of the biggest moments in a person's adult life: if you desire, why shouldn't you have a large wedding? Moreover, why would your mother be "relieved" that because you are an atheist you would not want one (thereby saving her expenses, presumably).

That seems sort of mean-spirited on her part. Please pardon the shot over your mother's bow. However, I would think that any mother, seeing her child married, would (if that sort of thing interests her) want the big public blow-out, regardless of your religious faith or lack thereof.

As an atheist, I am sure you do not care for the blessing of a god or goddess from me, but please accept my own blessing for your happiness, should marriage strike your fancy.

James. "All acts of love and pleasure are My rituals."-Wiccan affirmation.

Doom, gloom, financial skullduggery, overpopulation, environmental disaster, pandemics, and Romance scams can all be found on my Sweetie's upbeat Website Cynics for a Better Tomorrow ( http://www.cynics4bettertommorrow.org ) A blog for the insufficiently depressed . Now: Pessimism, not magical thinking, is what will save us.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a new atheist and marriage Thegoodatheist 70 11034 August 9, 2017 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Anti gay-marriage atheist?? Catholic_Lady 154 23886 September 9, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Charlie Brooker on Gay Marriage pop_punks_not_dead 4 2039 December 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Atheists and marriage Owlix 45 7765 November 9, 2013 at 7:09 am
Last Post: T.J.
  Same sex marriage StatCrux 533 299918 January 19, 2013 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Marriage problems with theist Roshambo 19 8969 March 9, 2012 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Violet