Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for theists
Questions for theists
Questions for theists:

Why is your bible correct?

Why would a benevolent god allow suffering?

Why is the "evidence" you claim exists directed towards a god?
¨I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.¨
RE: Questions for theists
(November 7, 2013 at 8:28 am)ChildOfReason Wrote: Questions for theists:

Because God said so.

Quote:Why would a benevolent god allow suffering?
The bible does not claim God is omni-benevolent. That is an empty religious doctrine. Matter of fact Christ tells us we are to expect much 'suffering' as a follower.

Quote:Why is the "evidence" you claim exists directed towards a god?
The "evidence" of God is God. That would be like asking why is the evidence of the president of the United states directed toward the president? When the best proof of the President would be the President Himself.
(November 7, 2013 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote:
(November 7, 2013 at 8:28 am)ChildOfReason Wrote: Questions for theists:

Because God said so.

[Image: break-the-cycle.jpg]
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 7, 2013 at 10:23 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote:
(November 7, 2013 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote: Because God said so.

[Image: break-the-cycle.jpg]

Try again sport. Not what I said. Maybe this time when you re-read what I wrote, try and refrain from sterotyping long enough to see the 'subbtal' differences in what I said, and what you need me to say to drag out that old broken arguement you are trying to prop up with a straw man.
(November 7, 2013 at 10:27 am)Drich Wrote:
(November 7, 2013 at 10:23 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: [Image: break-the-cycle.jpg]

Try again sport. Not what I said. Maybe this time when you re-read what I wrote, try and refrain from sterotyping long enough to see the 'subbtal' differences in what I said, and what you need me to say to drag out that old broken arguement you are trying to prop up with a straw man.

OK, your answer to why the Bible is correct is 'because God said so.'

Why does God allow suffering? Because he's not omnibenevolent and Jesus essentially said, "Shit happens."

And the evidence of God is God.

No stereotyping here, just your responses in all their "subbtal" and utterly unconvincing glory.
(November 7, 2013 at 11:23 am)Crossless1 Wrote: OK, your answer to why the Bible is correct is 'because God said so.'
Indeed. In the Graphic left by thomas The bible is the proof of God. I said God is the 'proof' of the bible. Do you know the difference here?

Quote:Why does God allow suffering? Because he's not omnibenevolent and Jesus essentially said, "Shit happens."
Actually no. Jesus said those in this world, this life Hate God, and if He was not spared from suffering, that 'we' can not expect to be spared either.

Quote:And the evidence of God is God.
What better proof of you is there than you? Or if you perfer what 'proof' can there be, of you that does not point to you? If these 'proofs' all point to you, then what better proof is there of you, than you?

God offers The Holy Spirit (Himself) as proof for all who Ask, Seek, Knock as outlined in Luke 11.

So again In deceptivly simple terms, God is the proof of God.

Quote:No stereotyping here, just your responses in all their "subbtal" and utterly unconvincing glory.
Big Grin Maybe next time ask a question if you can not see the subtleties mentioned. Don't just assume that they are not there simply because you do not understand them or see them.
(November 7, 2013 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote: The "evidence" of God is God. That would be like asking why is the evidence of the president of the United states directed toward the president? When the best proof of the President would be the President Himself.

You can see the President with your own two eyes. The same can't be said of God.
(November 7, 2013 at 11:51 am)Drich Wrote: Indeed. In the Graphic left by thomas The bible is the proof of God. I said God is the 'proof' of the bible. Do you know the difference here?

Yes. I also understand that you didn't come up with Yahweh yourself, nor did you have an experience of Yahweh that pre-dates your "learning" about him from the Bible. Doubting Thomas's point stands.

(November 7, 2013 at 11:51 am)Drich Wrote: Actually no. Jesus said those in this world, this life Hate God, and if He was not spared from suffering, that 'we' can not expect to be spared either.

*shrug* I never needed the Gospels to figure out that people suffer.

(November 7, 2013 at 11:51 am)Drich Wrote: What better proof of you is there than you? Or if you perfer what 'proof' can there be, of you that does not point to you? If these 'proofs' all point to you, then what better proof is there of you, than you?

God offers The Holy Spirit (Himself) as proof for all who Ask, Seek, Knock as outlined in Luke 11.

So again In deceptivly simple terms, God is the proof of God.

Funny. I have a Muslim acquaintance who says much the same thing but without the specifically Christian talking point. It's so hard to decide which fantasist to believe!

(November 7, 2013 at 11:51 am)Drich Wrote: Big Grin Maybe next time ask a question if you can not see the subtleties mentioned. Don't just assume that they are not there simply because you do not understand them or see them.

Oh, I understand mendacity quite well, thanks.
(November 7, 2013 at 12:08 pm)ToriJ Wrote:
(November 7, 2013 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote: The "evidence" of God is God. That would be like asking why is the evidence of the president of the United states directed toward the president? When the best proof of the President would be the President Himself.

You can see the President with your own two eyes. The same can't be said of God.

.. and you believe this why? Because you haven't seen God? Someone smart than you hasn't seen God?

Do you even know What God looks like? Do you know where and how to look? What if God does not present Himself in the way you are expecting? Could you still Identify Him as God?

The Jews couldn't, and they thought they knew what to look for. Matter of fact they are still looking for Him in that very specific way. What makes you any different than those jews?
Many people have followed false prophets. What makes you different from them?