Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[split] Are Questions About God Important?
[split] Are Questions About God Important?
(November 27, 2023 at 5:17 pm)SimpleCaveman Wrote: Hi Confused-by-christianity,
How’s things going? Have a good Thanksgiving?
I'm in the UK.  We don't celebrate thanksgiving, but it would be good if we did.  Maybe I'll start - I could just be thankful for a day or something.  You??

(November 27, 2023 at 5:17 pm)SimpleCaveman Wrote: Yes, I would agree with that. These are the questions that are best discussed over beers. Unfortunately, there’s little of that. I have taught basic theology before. No beers. At one time, I was part of a group that had theology discussions in a local pub. That was fun. It was a pretty diverse group, so the conversations were very interesting.
I think Theology is good because these questions are important. Don’t you think so?
answers to these questions form my goals and motivations in life (at least that).  
They help me with perspective as well - so i'd say they are pretty important.

Have you got a basic theology that you believe??
RE: Hello to all
(November 27, 2023 at 5:17 pm)SimpleCaveman Wrote: I think Theology is good because these questions are important. Don’t you think so?
Speaking for myself, I couldn't imagine thinking questions about God are important.

Questions about what constitutes a meaningful existence, a just society or an ethical decision seem a lot more important to me. Regardless of what you think about The Big G, questions about how we should live personally and socially seem like the right ones to be asking.
(November 28, 2023 at 9:02 am)Istvan Wrote:
(November 27, 2023 at 5:17 pm)SimpleCaveman Wrote: I think Theology is good because these questions are important. Don’t you think so?
Speaking for myself, I couldn't imagine thinking questions about God are important.

Questions about what constitutes a meaningful existence, a just society or an ethical decision seem a lot more important to me. Regardless of what you think about The Big G, questions about how we should live personally and socially seem like the right ones to be asking.

I can't really see why anything is important without god.???

why should i bother with anything.??

What conclusions have you come to.
(November 28, 2023 at 9:14 am)Confused-by-christianity Wrote: I can't really see why anything is important without god.???
Things are equally important with or without God. No matter whether you call yourself an atheist or a Christian or a Zoroastrian, you still have to answer the question of how we should live.
(November 28, 2023 at 9:20 am)Istvan Wrote:
(November 28, 2023 at 9:14 am)Confused-by-christianity Wrote: I can't really see why anything is important without god.???
Things are equally important with or without God. 

What makes them important??
That sounds like a rough place to be. If nothing about anything you think is important without a god, then they couldn't be important with one either. Its the god fact that's important, the rest is superfluous and uninstructive. It's a convo we have here from time to time, if you're the thread starting type. I think you might find all of the different ways various people conceive of import enlightening. Especially if you draw a blank.

I know that when I say something is important I'm trying to communicate something about the object in question, about the object of the statement itself. Not whether or not a god also exists or has it's own opinion on the object.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 28, 2023 at 9:14 am)Confused-by-christianity Wrote:
(November 28, 2023 at 9:02 am)Istvan Wrote: Speaking for myself, I couldn't imagine thinking questions about God are important.

I can't really see why anything is important without god.???

why should i bother with anything.??

What conclusions have you come to.

Are you mystified by the fact that very few atheists seem to have these issues that you can't imagine someone without God wouldn't have?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I suspect they're more characteristic of a believer that has lost their faith than an atheist who doesn't or never had one. To my mind, that's the main danger of building our worldviews on beliefs like that. The reason..in the hypothetical where a person is trying really hard to genuinely get everything with such a belief right and it's not (at least currently) hurting anyone and what's the big deal, why be an anti-theist then?

Well..one bad plate of shrimp can topple a worldview like that - rightly or wrongly. That..one day, the perfect and good theology™ might be created that really does lead to a paradise on earth but...because of a moment of doubt in the god, burns right to the ground.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 28, 2023 at 10:10 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: That sounds like a rough place to be.  If nothing about anything you think is important without a god, then they couldn't be important with one either.  Its the god fact that's important, the rest is superfluous and uninstructive.  It's a convo we have here from time to time, if you're the thread starting type.  I think you might find all of the different ways various people conceive of import enlightening.  Especially if you draw a blank.

I know that when I say something is important I'm trying to communicate something about the object in question, about the object of the statement itself.  Not whether or not a god also exists or has it's own opinion on the object.

Whats the answer??

What makes a thing important - other than whats just going on in my own head - or a bunch of peoples heads??
RE: [split] Hello to all - Are Questions About God Important?
Administrator Notice
Split from intro thread as requested.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three Questions for God Time Traveler 123 19973 April 29, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  [split] Big Announcement and Invitation LastPoet 77 11160 May 24, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Randy Carson
  [split] Hello everyone Chili 204 35378 January 5, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  General questions about the Christian idea of God and love Mudhammam 148 26607 October 2, 2014 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Why knocking is so important. Drich 565 73308 September 4, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12462 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  The most important reason I'm xtian Jacob(smooth) 64 15597 December 11, 2013 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  [split] Better reasons to quit Christianity radorth 10 5144 April 7, 2013 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Why is faith important? Question Mark 120 35289 March 19, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  [split] Debunking Christianity? And Boris Spacek raised the dead... Boris Spacek 18 9752 April 6, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused