Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Questions
Religious Questions
As Drich seems concerned that there aren't enough religion-themed questions being posted, I thought I'd help.

[NB: These are not 'trick' or 'gotcha' questions, just an attempt to start a dialogue.]

1.  Regarding the Bible, are there particular standards you use for determining what is meant literally and what is meant allegorically, or is it more of a 'gut' feeling?

2.  I know you are convinced that your religious views are the correct ones (and that's fine).  People with other religious views are convinced of their own correctness and for similar reasons.  When these views contradict each other (everyone can't be right), do you ever consider the possibility that you might be mistaken?

3.  Hypothetically, if you could be persuaded that Jesus of Nazareth was not divine, would it be possible for you to still reverence him as a great moral philosopher?

4.  How important are religious rituals to you, personally?

5.  Is there ANY passage in the Bible with which you have trouble reconciling your beliefs?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Religious Questions
1) Anything that agrees with my viewpoint is literally. All other aspects are just simply
symbolic flights of fancy.

2) I'm never wrong.

3) Jesus is divine. The bible says so.

4) As important as they need to be to get me into the kingdom of heaven.

5) See number 1
I guess my question is why do Christians come to this forum when almost all of them don't believe in arguments and not to mention rational thinking?

They all seem to be following Vatican's doctrine "The Syllabus of Errors" where Pope Pious ix condemned and called heresies stuff like reason:

"All the truths of religion proceed from the innate strength of human reason; hence reason is the ultimate standard by which man can and ought to arrive at the knowledge of all truths of every kind." - this is a falsehood according to Vatican. As is:

"Human reason, without any reference whatsoever to God, is the sole arbiter of truth and falsehood, and of good and evil."
Was Jesus really a white dude?
Dying to live, living to die.
Yes Valks. As a matter fact, Jesus still is. I mean, what's more divine than milky white skin?
Or if Jesus was a black guy, what color was Judas?
I have a feeling I won't be getting an answer to that.
Christians often say "Jesus said ...." They seem to think he spoke in English, a language that would not exist for at least a thousand years (possibly more). They never allow for copying errors, mis translations etc.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

If Darth Vader speaks English, is it really that much of a stretch to think the almighty savior did as well?
(July 3, 2019 at 3:52 pm)no one Wrote: Yes Valks. As a matter fact, Jesus still is. I mean, what's more divine than milky white skin?

Great tits?
Dying to live, living to die.
You mean satan's pillows?