Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man's morality
Man's morality
I have posted this definition several times in past posts, I thought it needs to be brought up again because of how all the noobs seem to understand and misuse the word.

Morality is man's attempt to establish a righteous standard based on the sin he or the society he lives in is willing to except Incorporated into that standard.

Morality is not true Righteousness or God's Righteousness. God's Righteousness is a sinless standard no one can achieve.

Morality says: It is ok to lie to save your friend's life.

Righteousness says: it is always a sin to lie no matter what the reason.

God's righteousness is absolute, and never changes.

Man's Morality is on a sliding scale always identified by the lessor of two evils.

That said know that 'morality' is not the universal standard of good. Morality is a constantly changing to suit the the personal or civil righteousness of a community of people. What once was moral could now be considered a crime, and vise versa.

I say that to help those looking to frame questions based on "morality." Most of the time it is used an absolute standard when in fact it is not. To say "God is not moral" is not the insult you think it is. That is like a death camp nazi saying a German citizen is not 'moral, because he is hiding Jews from the Gestapo. Why? Because your morality like the death camp nazi's morality is based on ever declining scale. The fact there is so much distance between what you think is right and what God has declared as righteous only points to how far you and your 'morality' has fallen beyond true righteousness.
RE: Man's morality
(November 27, 2013 at 12:17 am)Drich Wrote: Morality is man's attempt to establish a righteous standard based on the sin he or the society he lives in is willing to except Incorporated into that standard.

Okay, then by your own completely made up definition of morality, God necessarily isn't moral. It is "man's attempt..." after all.
Further, you don't seem to know what morality is, and you speaking on it demonstrates your complete lack of knowledge on what it is. Morality refers to 'how we ought to do', and nothing else.

Quote:Morality is not true Righteousness or God's Righteousness. God's Righteousness is a sinless standard no one can achieve.

Then God is not moral. Further, this is just an example of Christianity ripping off Plato's metaphysics. And if no man can achieve it and God created man, it necessarily follows that man cannot achieve it because God did not want them to.

Quote:Morality says: It is ok to lie to save your friend's life.

And if a gunman comes to you asking if your family is home, I do oh so hope you keep to your standard.

Quote:God's righteousness is absolute, and never changes.

This is a tautology. It literally means "God is God; he never changes". No fucking shit, moron.

Quote:Man's Morality is on a sliding scale always identified by the lessor of two evils.

If there are two choices and only those two choices, clearly you will pick the one that more aligns with your values. God could have chosen to allow for Adam and Eve to stay in Eden, or exile them from it. He chose the latter, because it conformed to his values (fucked up as they are for a fictional character).

Quote:That said know that 'morality' is not the universal standard of good. Morality is a constantly changing to suit the the personal or civil righteousness of a community of people. What once was moral could now be considered a crime, and vise versa.

What is considered good is by definition based on what one (even if they're God) considers to be moral.
Because morality is about what one should do, it will necessarily be dependent on one's in-built values. This is just as true for God as it is for any person.

Quote:I say that to help those looking to frame questions based on "morality." Most of the time it is used an absolute standard when in fact it is not. To say "God is not moral" is not the insult you think it is. That is like a death camp nazi saying a German citizen is not 'moral, because he is hiding Jews from the Gestapo. Why? Because your morality like the death camp nazi's morality is based on ever declining scale. The fact there is so much distance between what you think is right and what God has declared as righteous only points to how far you and your 'morality' has fallen beyond true righteousness.

And what is the distance between what God says is right and what is actually right? Oh wait, that's what morality is you numbskull. If God exists, what God does will be based on hat he thinks is right and what is 'actually' right (formulating that statement that way, as you did, is nonsensical). In other words, you're constantly confusing epistemology with ontology.

But hey, we already knew Drich was dull and rarely knew what he was talking about, much less on issues of moral ontology, on which he is a complete novice.

Uh....

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 27, 2013 at 12:17 am)Drich Wrote: Morality is not true Righteousness or God's Righteousness. God's Righteousness is a sinless standard no one can achieve.

Man's Morality is on a sliding scale always identified by the lessor of two evils.

That said know that 'morality' is not the universal standard of good. Morality is a constantly changing to suit the the personal or civil righteousness of a community of people. What once was moral could now be considered a crime, and vise versa.
Trying to create a ruleset that applies to every situation is a fool's errand; there will always be exceptions (as the section I bolded demonstrates). The fact that morality is adaptable can function as a double edged sword sometimes, but ultimately the ability to make revisions puts it ahead of something that will be wrong forever. Just because it doesn't change doesn't mean it was right in the first place.

Also, one can say anything is moral if they want, but they can't change objective facts about reality. I don't have the time or energy at the moment to reiterate my stance on how morals can be determined, but accepting them without question from a 2000+ year old book (that probably isn't even factual) is not part of my method, needless to say.

You can post whatever definition of morality you want, but it doesn't make you correct.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(November 27, 2013 at 12:17 am)Drich Wrote: I have posted this definition several times in past posts, I thought it needs to be brought up again because of how all the noobs seem to understand and misuse the word.

Oh, goody. Lets find out how you misuse the word "morality" then.

(November 27, 2013 at 12:17 am)Drich Wrote: Morality is man's attempt to establish a righteous standard based on the sin he or the society he lives in is willing to except Incorporated into that standard.

Not an auspicious start. Let me see if I've got it right. Morality is a project wherein people endeavor to establish righteous standards of behavior? [sarcasm]That makes sense. People have no natural inclination toward empathy and cooperation. They just get it in their head somehow that there ought to be standards. But why? Because there is this very obvious and essential phenomenon known as 'sin'. Why that's such a standard notion that it is only known within the Christian cults.[/sarcasm]

Okay, forget the rest of it. If this shit gets any deeper we'll never get it all out of here. What a load!
I've posted this in several posts, but the noobs seem not to get it either.

God doesn't exist just because you need someone to be on your side, prove it before inserting it into your argument.
(November 27, 2013 at 12:17 am)Drich Wrote: I have posted this definition several times in past posts, I thought it needs to be brought up again because of how all the noobs seem to understand and misuse the word.

Morality is man's attempt to establish a righteous standard based on the sin he or the society he lives in is willing to except Incorporated into that standard.

Morality is not true Righteousness or God's Righteousness. God's Righteousness is a sinless standard no one can achieve.

I say that to help those looking to frame questions based on "morality." Most of the time it is used an absolute standard when in fact it is not. To say "God is not moral" is not the insult you think it is. That is like a death camp nazi saying a German citizen is not 'moral, because he is hiding Jews from the Gestapo. Why? Because your morality like the death camp nazi's morality is based on ever declining scale. The fact there is so much distance between what you think is right and what God has declared as righteous only points to how far you and your 'morality' has fallen beyond true righteousness.

That last line cracked me up:

Quote:The fact there is so much distance between what you think is right and what God has declared as righteous only points to how far you and your 'morality' has fallen beyond true righteousness.

Yup - we left God's righteousness miles behind - I couldn't agree more!

Fuck God, fuck his righteousness and fuck Christianity in all its evil manipulations.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Ew. Just ew.
(November 27, 2013 at 12:17 am)Dich Wrote: Morality is not true Righteousness or God's Righteousness. God's Righteousness is a sinless standard no one can achieve.

You're right. There's not a human in history who has managed to do the appalling acts of "righteousness" performed by your god. The genocide of the world being at the top of the list.

Quote:Morality says: It is ok to lie to save your friend's life.

...except of course for when your god changes it to suit his actions.

Quote:Man's Morality is on a sliding scale always identified by the lessor of two evils.

Your god's morality is on a sliding scale, always defined by the gullible fucktard interpreting the Bible.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Morality: Acceptable/unacceptable behaviour based on the consensus of the particular society you live in at the time.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2692 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 8826 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Physical man VS Spiritual man Won2blv 33 6015 July 9, 2016 at 9:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  pop morality Drich 862 138096 April 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7560 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6168 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7458 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8116 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 17464 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 35705 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus