Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You CAN game Christian morality
You CAN game Christian morality
A while back, I made a thread about Christian morality having bad incentives. It was mainly a thread to say that Christianity doesn't compel you to do good, but rather to swear an oath of fealty. Throughout the thread, at least one apologist told me that you can't game the system to sin knowing that you will be forgiven later, because that isn't a non-repentant lifestyle. I wasn't really trying to make that point in the thread, but I actually realized something: you totally can game the system like that. Here we go:

So, according to the Bible, there is only one unforgivable sin (blaspheming the Holy Spirit). That tautologically means that every other sin is forgivable. So, if I have a moment of weakness and sin, I can ask for forgiveness and repent. Christians will agree with that statement; it's part and parcel to their world view. Now, if I plan to sin knowing that I can ask for forgiveness later, sin, and then ask for forgiveness, the very act of planning to game the system is a forgivable sin. When I ask for forgiveness, all I have to do is apologize both for the sin and for planning to game the system.

Now, apologists will understandably take issue with that second part, and I get that. It looks super immoral, but that's not because the person gaming the system is especially heinous, but because their morality system is just that bad. Look at the system. What's the difference between spontaneous and planned sin?

1) If you believe you have to be truly contrite to be absolved of sin, would anyone ever get into heaven? I don't think anyone feels that bad about everything they do. What if you take God's name in vain seconds before being killed in a car crash? It would seem if the system were strict enough to weed out those trying to game it, that people legitimately trying to follow the system would get weeded out, too.

2) If you believe that the act of trying to game the system is somehow worse than simply spontaneously sinning, it's special pleading. Unless you can show me some scripture to show that this is clearly the case, it's likely an ad hoc assertion to make the system look less pointless. I mean, yes, you can make the point that so long as you plan to sin, you aren't repentant, and you're playing with fire. You could be hit by a truck at any time, so why take that risk, but see my point above. How much are you allowed to "spontaneously" sin before you stop being repentant? I submit that setting those goal posts to allow "normal" levels of sin into heaven but to exclude premeditated sin is just ad hoc special pleading.

So, the problem with the Christian morality system isn't just that it gives bad incentives, but that it cannot generate sane outcomes. The only thing this system had over the previous system of "God kills the wicked and blesses the righteous" is that at least this system is nonfalsifiable. At least you can't look around you and prove it wrong with simple observation. So, Christianity upgraded from Judaism's "provably wrong" setup to "it doesn't make any sense, but at least you can't prove it wrong". Yay?
RE: You CAN game Christian morality
This is also similar to sins tha you have no control over. thought crime is a good example, because you can't keep from thinking things. You can only refrain from acting on your thoughts. So since thinking about killing someone is as bad as actually doing it in Yahweh's eyes, you'd have to continually ask for forgiveness anyway. If you were genuinely sorry for every bad thought you had, you wouldn't be able to live your life. You'd go catatonic unless you found a way to make it stop bothering you so much. eventually you'd be begging forgiveness for something you'd done a trillion times over, and not really be genuinely sorry about it.

Any system that centers around what you say, instead of what you do, is flawed. Yahweh doesn't care about how many good things you did, compared to how many bad things. Only that you're very sorry for being born evil.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Right. And things that are "sins" are not actually immoral things necessarily, they are just things that upsets god, for some reason. So it''s nothing to do with living a good life.

And I totally agree, the idea of just being forgiven means you can do pretty much what you want and get away with it by sucking up later. It's absolutely ridiculous anyone could take this seriously. But since the OT orders death for just about anything, I don't know how this is worked into the fold. I suppose you just seek repentance while you're being stoned to death for being an unruly kid.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 16, 2015 at 12:45 pm)Chad32 Wrote: This is also similar to sins tha you have no control over. thought crime is a good example, because you can't keep from thinking things. You can only refrain from acting on your thoughts. So since thinking about killing someone is as bad as actually doing it in Yahweh's eyes, you'd have to continually ask for forgiveness anyway. If you were genuinely sorry for every bad thought you had, you wouldn't be able to live your life. You'd go catatonic unless you found a way to make it stop bothering you so much. eventually you'd be begging forgiveness for something you'd done a trillion times over, and not really be genuinely sorry about it.

Oh yeah. I was raised Lutheran. I remember the confession we said every Sunday.

"... and have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done and what we have left undone. We justly deserve your present and eternal punishment."

Pretty much existing is enough to get you thrown into hell, and the apologists would have me believe that I have to be continually repentant to avoid that. Either no one gets to heaven, or this loophole is apt. Either way you slice it, the system doesn't generate anything resembling sane results.

(February 16, 2015 at 12:45 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Any system that centers around what you say, instead of what you do, is flawed. Yahweh doesn't care about how many good things you did, compared to how many bad things. Only that you're very sorry for being born evil.

And that you swore the correct oath of fealty before you died. That's apparently super fucking important.
You gotta spin the denomination wheel right at the end and you got a less than 1 in 40,000 chance of getting the right one.

And that's assuming christianity is right and not any other of the possible infinite religions.

Whoops.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Maybe if you're "lucky" Calvinism is right and God chose you to be elect and not reprobate. :p
The only reason you ever need to repent more than once is because you don't know exactly when you'll die. if you're lucky enough not o be killed suddenly, just repent on your death bed, or afer your last meal in death row, or whatever, and you're good.

I'm glad I live in a country that doesn't use that warped sense of justice. Or a least it isn't supposed to.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Also, you repent for entirely selfish reasons. It's nothing to do with actually being sorry.

Index of my best videos
(February 16, 2015 at 1:17 pm)robvalue Wrote: Also, you repent for entirely selfish reasons. It's nothing to do with actually being sorry.

Oh really? Must've been doing it wrong, then, because the amount of guilt surrounding a confessional makes the air dense.
Sure. Well, you may actually be sorry, but you are apologising to the wrong person.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89324 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2863 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9018 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20249 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  pop morality Drich 862 140963 April 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7652 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  How can women be Christian? stop_pushing_me 45 8252 August 26, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6211 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  A Contradiction of Coercions Can We Have a Christian Explaination? Jenny A 26 8671 July 27, 2015 at 2:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7517 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue