Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Amendment = Christianity Only
First Amendment = Christianity Only
Quote:Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association said Tuesday that the founding fathers intended the First Amendment to only protect Christianity, not Islam or any other religions.

On his radio program, called Focal Point, Fischer said the word “religion” in the First Amendment referred to Christianity alone. That is why, according to Fischer, Satanists cannot seek equal representation at the Oklahoma statehouse grounds.

“At the time of the founding [of the United States], 99.8 percent of the population of the colonies were Christians. The other 0.2 percent were Jews,” he said.

“But the point is, by ‘religion’ the founders were thinking of Christianity,” Fischer continued. “So the purpose was to protect the free exercise of the Christian faith. It wasn’t about protecting anything else.”

“They weren’t providing any cover or shelter for the free exercise of Islam or even Judaism or even atheism. They weren’t saying you can’t do it — I want to be clear on that — they weren’t prohibiting that, they were just saying that is not what we are talking about here.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/11/ri...hristians/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: First Amendment = Christianity Only
What the Founding Fucking Fathers intended don't mean shit anymore. That was 200+ years ago and things have changed.
I used to believe it just meant christianity. I figured the idea was that as long as you're worshiping Jesus, you're doing ok. And this was a christian nation, where we've always had god on our money, in our pledge, and the ten commandments on our court buildings since the beginning. Whether that was the original intention or not, it should mean all religions.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

What it means is that the founding fathers were pretty educated people and they realized that, historically speaking, one of the things that often causes nations to crumble is state sponsered religious dogma, especially when the state dogma becomes the beliefs of the minority of the population.

Also, might want to inform Bryan Fischer that a whole fuck of a lot of the founding fathers were deists, not Christians. Which really blows his idea out of the water, doncha think?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Surely they would have used the word "Christianity" and not "religion" if that's what they meant?

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"
"Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturer of dairy products."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 13, 2013 at 6:14 am)TaraJo Wrote: Also, might want to inform Bryan Fischer that a whole fuck of a lot of the founding fathers were deists, not Christians.

They were also quite big on slavery.

So why the fuck are their 'intentions' still relevant.
(December 13, 2013 at 6:42 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(December 13, 2013 at 6:14 am)TaraJo Wrote: Also, might want to inform Bryan Fischer that a whole fuck of a lot of the founding fathers were deists, not Christians.

Not to mention, they didn't seem to think women worthy of the right to vote or really do anything other than spit out babies.

....then again, I'm pretty sure Bryan Fischer thinks that, too. :/
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(December 13, 2013 at 6:42 am)Napoléon Wrote:

Among certain types of conservatives, original intent is practically sacrosanct. It's fundamentalism for the constitutional crowd (with all of the hypocrisy and ridiculous outcomes you'd expect of fundamentalists and their flawed reading of "scripture").
Dumbass.

As Stimbo said, if they meant Christianity they would have said Christianity. The dictionary tells us what words mean, we cannot substitute our own meanings! And as Napoléon said, even if they did, what relevance does that have today. The founding fathers were not infallible.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(December 13, 2013 at 6:14 am)TaraJo Wrote: What it means is that the founding fathers were pretty educated people and they realized that, historically speaking, one of the things that often causes nations to crumble is state sponsered religious dogma, especially when the state dogma becomes the beliefs of the minority of the population.

Also, might want to inform Bryan Fischer that a whole fuck of a lot of the founding fathers were deists, not Christians. Which really blows his idea out of the water, doncha think?

Christian nationalists do not give a fuck about reality. As Drich and them have pointed out -- right and wrong, true and false, real and imagined are trivialities that can be overlooked.

They are members of an authoritarian mind-control cult.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste -- don't pollute it with bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13049 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4020 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10078 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2164 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  There are ONLY two types of Christians! 21stCenturyIconoclast! 60 13731 June 22, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 20922 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Why did god only make exactly the number of talking animals that he needed? godlessheatheness 41 8512 March 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  CHRISTIANS, you only have 3 days left to get rid of your XMAS TREE! 21stCenturyIconoclast 22 4196 December 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: 21stCenturyIconoclast
  The ONLY true christian Foxaèr 28 5965 January 28, 2016 at 6:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6780 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus