Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father Arguments
Father Arguments
Hey, my dad came up with a few arguments to "challenge my thinking". He's really tricky. He is christian, but is not traditional. He doesn't believe in hell, or very much human interaction. I think he might be a deist. Anyways, his argument was: "You believe in an absolute moral philosophy. What is the basis for that? What is the basis for an absolute moral code that almost everyone follows? Who came up with that?" I tried countering him but it got confusing. Can someone come up with a better counter?
RE: Father Arguments
What is an absolute moral authority?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Evolution as a social species.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq2C7fyVTA4

You can also ask your father what exactly he believes and why he believes it. To clarify and find grounding upon which you can argue further.
Pocaracas beat me to it. I was going to word it as 'the commonality of human existence'.

However, I don't believe in moral absolutism. Not that anyone asked. Wink

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think your father is full of shit.

Most xtians are.
(December 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I think your father is full of shit.

Most xtians are.

Blunt as ever eh Min?
I tried the evolutionary social being stuff already and he said: "that makes it arbitrary. A person's philosophy of murder is as good as anyone else's. There needs to be something else that comes up with a moral law: a moral law giver". I agree, in that he is full of shit.
(December 14, 2013 at 8:54 pm)Severan Wrote: A person's philosophy of murder is as good as anyone else's.
That just misses the whole "social" detail...
(December 14, 2013 at 8:54 pm)Severan Wrote: I tried the evolutionary social being stuff already and he said: "that makes it arbitrary. A person's philosophy of murder is as good as anyone else's. There needs to be something else that comes up with a moral law: a moral law giver". I agree, in that he is full of shit.
How does he know that the law giver gives moral laws?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10746 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16250 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22152 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8637 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 16166 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Q about arguments for God's existence. Mudhammam 579 147483 October 25, 2016 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Stupid arguments for God The Atheist 16 3670 March 25, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Arguments against Deism and for religion. Mystic 32 12636 March 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Refuting typical arguments dyresand 4 1427 February 9, 2016 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why logical arguments for Messengers don't work. Mystic 45 11374 January 6, 2016 at 2:40 am
Last Post: robvalue