Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Me 1, religion 0
Me 1, religion 0
I’m having problems with the term atheist. The definition “Someone who denies the existence of God” is pretty much straight forward but what if I happen to be a member of some religion/belief that doesn’t rely on some divine being who started the whole thing? Am I also an atheist simply because I don’t come from a Christian culture/society?

If I follow the Shinto religion which has no belief in a “God” that brings the universe into being and live in the United States of America am I an atheist? Or can only one born into and brought up in a Christian dominated culture/society be an atheist?

I do not deny the existence of religion(s). They serve the basic function of supposing where we come from and where we are going after we die. Everything else is superfluous. If we are going somewhere after we die (and we know the body remains here on earth) then there must be something else involved otherwise we would be going nowhere. That something is called the soul (defined as “The immaterial part of a person; the actuating cause of an individual life”).

I believe in no such possibility. There is no soul. We are self aware, yes, but the duality of body and soul, material and immaterial within a person, NO. Dying is like sleeping, the lack of consciousness, but dying is permanent.

Someone who is not a member of any religious denomination, sect, faith, order or religion and believes that “religions” are immaterial cannot be labeled with any religious designation (defined as “Identifying word or words by which someone or something is called and classified or distinguished from others”) i. e., in this case theists, godly etc.

I fall into the “religions are immaterial” group, that religions do not adequately or accurately describe existence of any sort. My beliefs are based on empirical evidence; the scientific method, therefore I am not (as I have indicated in the past) an atheist. I cannot be against God if there never has been and is not now such an entity. That would be like saying I am against unicorns or mermaids neither of which exist.

I’m not sure what I’m doing on any quasi-religious forum but I have to admit there are some very funny exchanges that I find interesting. All the posts while though thought provoking, funny or just plain incomprehensible are nothing more than semantic drivel that I find amusing but usually not worth following or commenting on.

The more I think about this whole subject the more religion becomes myth. Christianity is and will be seen in the future as a myth no different in substance than Greek, Roman, Norse or any other belief system. While I am of the empirical religion, (and it is), and I am quite aware of what I just said. I still take it with a grain of salt since it, too, is unable to explain everything in and about the universe. While science (empiricism) cannot explain everything it is more accurate than any other belief system.

Robert
Huh
RE: Me 1, religion 0
Agnostic theist comes comes to mind.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 17, 2013 at 5:42 pm)WackyWicky Wrote: I’m having problems with the term atheist. The definition “Someone who denies the existence of God” is pretty much straight forward but what if I happen to be a member of some religion/belief that doesn’t rely on some divine being who started the whole thing? Am I also an atheist simply because I don’t come from a Christian culture/society?

That definition is biased and wrong.
Try the oxford version

a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods:
I guess it all depends on your interpretation.

I prefer the "someone who does not believe in deities" definition.

I don't make the outright claim that there are no gods.

That's why I generally refer to myself as an agnostic atheist.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 17, 2013 at 6:42 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(December 17, 2013 at 5:42 pm)WackyWicky Wrote: I’m having problems with the term atheist. The definition “Someone who denies the existence of God” is pretty much straight forward but what if I happen to be a member of some religion/belief that doesn’t rely on some divine being who started the whole thing? Am I also an atheist simply because I don’t come from a Christian culture/society?

That definition is biased and wrong.
Try the oxford version

a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods:
Whether or not the definition I presented is biased or wrong your definition could replace it and the meaning would not be changed. Besides you didn't answer the question I posed.

Robert

(December 17, 2013 at 5:43 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: Agnostic theist comes comes to mind.

I'm confused, what does that have to do with my post? Could/would you please enlighten me?
(December 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm)WackyWicky Wrote: Whether or not the definition I presented is biased or wrong your definition could replace it and the meaning would not be changed. Besides you didn't answer the question I posed.

Actually, it's kinda important, because denial of god isn't something many of us would actually espouse. The majority of us simply aren't convinced that there is a god; we're not saying there isn't one, just that we don't believe there is. The distinction is important, because the religious will so often argue that our position is one of unthinking denial regardless of the facts and... well, that's wrong on two points.

We need to be clear, here.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Atheist is somebody who is not convinced of the existence of deities.
Someone who does not believe in the Christian faith is specifically a heathen.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(December 17, 2013 at 10:16 pm)Polaris Wrote: Someone who does not believe in the Christian faith is specifically a heathen.

Every other religion says the same thing about christians. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(December 17, 2013 at 10:16 pm)Polaris Wrote: Someone who does not believe in the Christian faith is specifically a heathen.

I prefer the term "dogma challenged".

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10716 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19815 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49304 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused