Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Untitled short story
Untitled short story
I did a thing where I had to write a short story, <400 words, and it had to involve a toasted sandwich floating down from the sky on a tiny parachute. Don't ask. Anyway, it sounded like the perfect hook for a ridiculous and whimsical story, so I thought I'd share and see if anybody thought it was any good.

There were probably more than a few poor people who drove themselves to despair thinking about all the cash they would never have to buy all kinds of wonderful things they'd never actually own.

Me, I had money. I had a large pile of it in a box that I had collected during my excursions. At first, it was because I still held out hope that it would be worth something again. Turns out, it was worth something, because it burned and helped keep me warm for a little while.

The day before I decided to start doing that, I sat and counted it, for want of anything else to do. I had managed to scavenge exactly $11,872. Once, I'd offered a guy a thousand for a can of tomato soup. He declined the offer.

I remember seeing a tattered sign on what had been a car dealership which advertised brand new models for only $600 down. What kept me from freezing last night could have bought me two. That was the last of it. I'm broke.

It had rained for three days. Woke up to find my place had flooded. The water was dark and smelled bad. I left, to see if I could find somewhere new to hunker down.

I did, in one of those cars. Had to smash the window to get inside, though, which simply turned it into a wheeled refrigerator. I left the next day. Passed by a grocery store which still half-stood. I didn't bother checking it for food. I knew better.

I made my next home under part of a collapsed concrete wall. Wouldn't do much against the wind, but it would allow me to make a fire.

Snow. I'd freeze. Couldn't stay now. Couldn't remember when I'd eaten. Hadn't even thought about it until I saw the body. Might have, but it was blackened and looked as if it would crumble if I'd touched it. Tripped on a rock and stumbled.

The snow's pretty. Little white fairies dancing in a dead world.

Thought it was just a big snowflake, but snowflakes don't carry sandwiches. A tiny parachute? Crazier things to see these days.

Low, now. White bread. Lower. Green frills of lettuce. Bacon? Lower still. It was toasted. I ran after it. Fell. Got up. Fell again, harder this time. The rock was very sharp.

I saw the plastic bag touch down.
RE: Untitled short story
I like it! To me it resembles a modern version of H.C. Andersen's 'The Little Match Girl'. Great
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project? Collaborative Fiction, based on a true story kinda Nanny 2 263 February 2, 2024 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  For a great love story Foxaèr 5 668 July 21, 2021 at 11:19 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Sticks: A Short Story - Satire Rhondazvous 2 441 May 12, 2020 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Post your Favorite Short Stories vulcanlogician 42 7495 June 3, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Same bird; same pain; same story. WinterHold 2 368 April 29, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  American Horror Story S07 Foxaèr 12 2487 October 28, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Short movie about young Carl Sagan Fake Messiah 0 862 August 26, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Wrote a short story, let me know what you think. Foxaèr 3 1332 April 25, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  "Rot" - A Free Short Story by Shell_B Tiberius 6 1307 April 24, 2015 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Twenty One Pilots. Story of My Life LivingNumbers6.626 1 848 August 16, 2014 at 4:39 am
Last Post: DramaQueen